THE BROWNS BOARD

Where are the %&@*!# jobs?

BrownIndian

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, financial rape of our country is fine by Heck,

as long as he approves of the party the criminals are members of.

But no, he isn't partisan, he's way, way far too superior intellectually

to e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ver think like that.

Now, really.

In a way we've been on the oil standard for a while.

I think we'll see bigger problems when it's traded exclusively in Euros.

WSS

History shows what happens to nations who demand that we pay them in dinars..... Iraq

So you're saying that the government has kidnapped our future and we must pay this '50,000' figure to secure it? And has far as the gold standard goes I believe that most economist will be begging for the gold standard in three years when our credit rating gets lowered and the dollar becomes worthless overnight. The bottom line is if China wasn't so dependent on us buying the goods that they manufacture they would have already called in their debt and no of this other stuff would have mattered.

It was just yesterday that Mooney's (SP?) warned that what they thought would be a 10 year process where the FED would be 'bankrupt' (for lack of a better term) to 3-5 years. So in 9 months of the current admin (combined with much bad spending of the former) they're predicting bankruptcy in half the time.

You missed the point. The Wall Street banks have kidnapped the daughter. The government/taxpayer are the ones who are paying people we'd rather not pay so that we don't suffer even greater harm. That's what the bailouts are.

This isn't to defend everything about the bailouts, or to pretend that they're not stomach turning, or to ignore the moral hazard issues or deficits that they've created. But I'd happily stand by the general principle, which is that they've allowed the financial markets to stabilize and create the foundation for a recovery, albeit a weak one. The idea that we've already gotten the Dow back to 10,000 is pretty stunning. For all their problems, the bailouts did what they were supposed to do.

Again, if you think this recovery is jobless and is going to take too long, try a depression. It's a lot easier to climb out of a 5-foot hole than a 12-foot hole.

And no, most economists won't be begging for the gold standard in three years.

And it's Moody's, not Mooney's. If you don't know what Moody's is or what it does, do you really know anything about this stuff?

You missed the point. The Wall Street banks have kidnapped the daughter. The government/taxpayer are the ones who are paying people we'd rather not pay so that we don't suffer even greater harm. That's what the bailouts are.

This isn't to defend everything about the bailouts, or to pretend that they're not stomach turning, or to ignore the moral hazard issues or deficits that they've created. But I'd happily stand by the general principle, which is that they've allowed the financial markets to stabilize and create the foundation for a recovery, albeit a weak one.

Plus we can screw a few bigshots to let the patina of populism cover up the SOS.

The idea that we've already gotten the Dow back to 10,000 is pretty stunning. For all their problems, the bailouts did what they were supposed to do.

Seems the "recovery" has taken longer than usual.

Granted there really is no hard and fast rule but....

Again, if you think this recovery is jobless and is going to take too long, try a depression. It's a lot easier to climb out of a 5-foot hole than a 12-foot hole.

Especially since in the face of even bigger panic more detrimental policies more easily find their way to the surface. Look at Roosevelt.

And no, most economists won't be begging for the gold standard in three years.

Most aren't now. Still it'd feel good to have a currency based on something.

And it's Moody's, not Mooney's. If you don't know what Moody's is or what it does, do you really know anything about this stuff?

He did put the sp? after it.

WSS

Yes, I'm aware. I'm just wondering if it should cause someone to take a step back when commenting on monetary and fiscal policy when you don't even know what Moody's is. It's sort of like commenting on what the Browns should have done in the offseason without knowing what the salary cap is.

Not everyone is an expert, not even on a message board.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm just wondering if it should cause someone to take a step back when commenting on monetary and fiscal policy when you don't even know what Moody's is. It's sort of like commenting on what the Browns should have done in the offseason without knowing what the salary cap is.

Not everyone is an expert, not even on a message board.

Never have I even hinted to being an expert. I noticed you took more pleasure in lambasting my spelling (really hearing since I was remembering a radio report) rather than what they actually said. Are you implying that I made the whole thing up and that they didn't warn of a danger in our credit rating? Or would you just rather keep attacking me rather than deal with the report. And here is a link to some of what the report said....you know from people who are allowed to talk about it http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/2200.

And for what it's worth; I do not think you need to know jack sht about the salary cap to know that the Browns better be looking for a quarterback this off season.

So you're saying that the government has kidnapped our future and we must pay this '50,000' figure to secure it? And has far as the gold standard goes I believe that most economist will be begging for the gold standard in three years when our credit rating gets lowered and the dollar becomes worthless overnight. The bottom line is if China wasn't so dependent on us buying the goods that they manufacture they would have already called in their debt and no of this other stuff would have mattered.

It was just yesterday that Mooney's (SP?) warned that what they thought would be a 10 year process where the FED would be 'bankrupt' (for lack of a better term) to 3-5 years. So in 9 months of the current admin (combined with much bad spending of the former) they're predicting bankruptcy in half the time.

I'm not upset about your spelling, smalls. I'm upset that you're really upset, and yet you don't seem to know what you're talking about. None of the stuff you mention in this post makes any sense. Nor did you understand the kidnapper analogy.

Your point about China is akin to saying "If Peyton Manning decided to stop playing football tomorrow the Colts would try to recoup his contract and Peyton Manning would be screwed!" You're worrying about a situation that is never going to happen. You really don't have to worry about the Chinese calling in our debt, or gold standards for that matter. Also not going to happen.

The value of the dollar, for all of Drudge- or Paul- or Palin-inspired crankery, should drop and most likely will drop. But it only scares people who think having the value of the dollar drop is a terrifying thing. It's not. It's a good thing.

As for the Moody's report, I wasn't suggesting you were making it up. It was in the news and anyone who follows the news saw it. But warnings about the size of the deficit are nothing new, which is why this story wasn't a huge deal.

But the blog you linked to was funny, as he implies that these deficit numbers are all Obama's fault.

Want to see a graph of what policies have contributed most to the deficit? Hint: they're not Obama's.

I posted the blog b/c it outlined the report and when I went to Mooney's (HAHA) it seemed as if you had to pay to access it. As far as not knowing at all what I am talking about, who made you the God of knowing what it or isn't relative. You seem to speak from the point of view that you know for a fact that the devalue of our currency would not be a bad thing, but rather a good thing. Would you like to further explain this to my simpleton self? B/C from my ignorant point of view it would seem that if we wake up one morning and our dollar is all of a sudden worth .08 or .50 or even .60 that would be a bad thing. More so, if the international community senses this is coming then yes I think their could be a 'run' on our debt...even if meant just to blackmail us into something we might not otherwise agree to. And I never specifically put all of the blame on Obama. That was you pigeon holing me into your narrow minded point of view concerning people who believe that a storm may be coming. And please note I said MAY, not IS...from your response I guess we shouldn't worry about nor discuss anything until it has become a reality and is staring us face to face.

I posted the blog b/c it outlined the report and when I went to Mooney's (HAHA) it seemed as if you had to pay to access it. As far as not knowing at all what I am talking about, who made you the God of knowing what it or isn't relative. You seem to speak from the point of view that you know for a fact that the devalue of our currency would not be a bad thing, but rather a good thing. Would you like to further explain this to my simpleton self? B/C from my ignorant point of view it would seem that if we wake up one morning and our dollar is all of a sudden worth .08 or .50 or even .60 that would be a bad thing. More so, if the international community senses this is coming then yes I think their could be a 'run' on our debt...even if meant just to blackmail us into something we might not otherwise agree to. And I never specifically put all of the blame on Obama. That was you pigeon holing me into your narrow minded point of view concerning people who believe that a storm may be coming. And please note I said MAY, not IS...from your response I guess we shouldn't worry about nor discuss anything until it has become a reality and is staring us face to face.

He is a typical liberal. Lived in CA for years, makes a lot of money. Writer. Influenced by the Hollywood crowd. Like mz the pussy, Shep etc. They know everything. They are so intelligent. I have been listening to their bullshit for years. xxxx them.

Okay, well I'm glad you're not visiting that guy's blog every day and just found it on a Google search. But the AP and Reuters picked up that story so all the major news organizations had it as well. But I can only go by what you post, which was some guy blaming the deficit solely on Obama's shoulders, as well as the people who voted for him. The deficit is largely the result of Bush war and spending policies and the declining tax revenues from his tax cuts, as well as from the financial collapse and the lower tax receipts that have resulted. Obama's additional spending has increased the deficit somewhat, but it pales in comparison to the amount that is on Bush's tab. Which is why you see a constant effort to say it's Obama's fault now. It's not - or at least most of it isn't. It's just his problem now.

As for the drop in the value of the dollar, you should be happy to see it come down. I'm not suggesting you're a simpleton because you don't know this. I'm just suggesting that you don't know this, so you probably shouldn't go off on someone who does, or go off on the administration for letting it happen when it's a positive development that they don't have all that much to do with anyway.

But don't take it from me. Take it from just about any economist you could rustle up.

First of all, a weakening dollar is a good sign for the global economy. When the shit hit the fan not too long ago, everyone ran to US Treasuries, which are one of the safest places to put your money in the world. What you're seeing now is confidence returning and international investors and governments are more willing to invest their money elsewhere and assume more risk.

The second thing it's good for is any US business that exports goods or services. It helps our manufacturing base. It makes our goods more attractive to foreign buyers, and that helps our trade balance.

So it's a little more complicated than liking things that are "strong", and detesting things that are "weak." It works with drinks at the bar and garbage bags, but not so much here.

And by the way, the dollar was weaker under Bush than it is now. Remember that the next time someone - Drudge, Palin, Paul, etc. - tells you that the Obama administration has doomed us with their weak dollar policy. It's just politics.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. But you seem like a smart guy. It's your job to know why you're being misled. Or in Sarah Palin's case, why she is.

First of all, a weakening dollar is a good sign for the global economy.

And by the way, the dollar was weaker under Bush than it is now.

IOW thank God for Bush?

" Remember that the next time someone - Drudge, Palin, Paul, etc. - tells you that the Obama administration has doomed us with their weak dollar policy "

Be sure to consult Gore Pelosi and Olbaermann first!!

:lol:

WSS

The second thing it's good for is any US business that exports goods or services. It helps our manufacturing base. It makes our goods more attractive to foreign buyers, and that helps our trade balance.

This is actually true, call me thick, why does a weakening dollar produce less of a trade deficit. By the way we are still a LONG way away from getting out of the red on this.

TradeDeficitFeb2009.jpg

Because our goods become more attractive to foreigners. Meanwhile, foreign imports become more expensive for us. You get more of one, less of the other, and the balance shifts.

I see. So China is shitting themselves because other people our buying our products? Or they really don't care because there products are different then what we make?

It's in China's interest that we buy lots of their crap. The more our economy struggles, the more they struggle. That's why there's no world in which China purposefully tanks our economy.

Actually, there is that world, and T lives in it. I'm just saying it's not real.

Dude, why the douche bag comment every post? You sound like pompous ass.

You do know that the economy is improving, do you not?

As long as somebody is willing to purchase our debt. And some believe 'National Security' issue is about stopping terrorists.

I am not blaming Obama on this, Heck, but I do know that a x% improvemenet off of a XXXXXX% decline isn't much to smile about. Green shoots don't do it for me and I blame both Democrats and Republicans.

Some of us think this is a one way street and that only one side of the aisle is responsible.

It's okay with me if you don't like me, Kosar. It doesn't change my day. But to me, T is a crazy nutjob, and the douche bags are the ones who don't tell him so regularly.

I guess we differ on that.

Believe me, I have told Cal and him they are douche bags. But for other reasons other then smugness.

Yeah, and NoClusesar hates me, because I disagreed with him about something sometime.

The matter is, Heck, you suck, you don't listen, you are wrong, and the first things you do,

are you drag out the putdown routine, mostly demonizing T and I, and now Kosar...

it never ends.

You just keep adopting what Shep and mz the pussy tell you to believe, Heck, if that works for you.

Not so much for any one of the rest of us, though.

Yeah, and NoClusesar hates me, because I disagreed with him about something sometime.

The matter is, Heck, you suck, you don't listen, you are wrong, and the first things you do,

are you drag out the putdown routine, mostly demonizing T and I, and now Kosar...

it never ends.

You just keep adopting what Shep and mz the pussy tell you to believe, Heck, if that works for you.

Not so much for any one of the rest of us, though.

Whatever douche bag, lol.

Archived