THE BROWNS BOARD

This is outta control...

DestinFunk

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...pummel-mangini/

Once upon a time, I could rattle off the names of 50 or more pro wrestlers.

Hulk Hogan. Andre the Giant. Super Fly Snuka. Randy "Macho Man" Savage. Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Orndorff. The Iron Sheik. Ted DiBiase (who went on to become "The Million-Dollar Man"). Hacksaw Jim Duggan. The Junkyard Dog.

OK, I still can rattle off the names of about 50 pro wrestlers.

But those are all wrestlers from 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know anything about today's pro wrestlers, largely because I don't pay any attention to it.

Unless the "sport" intersects with pro football.

Recently, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ventured far from his comfort zone (eye roll) and appeared on WWE's Monday Night Raw. Even more recently, a wrestler known as "The Miz" offered up a gem of a quote regarding one of Roethlisberger's chief rivals.

"A person I'd like to see and smack the sh-t out of is [browns coach] Eric Mangini," Mr. Miz recently said, per ESPN.com. "That's what I'd like to do. He is doing absolutely horrific. He is horrible. Brady Quinn sucks. Derek Anderson sucks. But the reason why they suck is that their offensive line is not giving them time to throw the ball. I want to smack Eric Mangini so hard he poops himself."

And there's an image that should carry the folks in the Eastern time zone right through the lunch hour.

Mangini isn't the only guy on The Miz's hit list. He says he also wants to beat up the wrestler formerly known as "The Rock."

"I think he's too much of a girl now," Miz says. "He's no longer The Rock, he's Dwayne Johnson. I'm Dwayne Johnson (in his best girly voice). I think now that he's Dwayne Johnson, I can take him. He's skinny. He's like a toothpick. He's what, 150-pounds soaking wet?"

Making The Miz's quotes even more intriguing is the fact that the stuff he's saying sounds like things an NFL player might say. So, yeah, the line between the NFL and pro wrestling is getting blurry. And though we probably should be troubled by it, we're starting to sort of like it.

Archived