THE BROWNS BOARD

How is it that Francies hasn't beaten out McDonald at CB?

Orange_&_Brown_Town

Is he injured or something? He showed lots of potential in the preseason and I was hoping he would beat out McDonald, who's tackling is down right awful.

I believe that yes, he was injured / ill.

Also.

Cleveland rookie cornerback Coye Francies, incensed over a prank, threw a bucket of ice and at least one errant punch during a skirmish in the Browns' locker room.

He had an injured Calf.

it's the same reason why none of the defensive rookies are playing. i don't know what that reason is, but there has to be a reason. at this point they should all be getting a lot of playing time because we are going to get our asses kicked anyway so we might as well let them learn.

The coaches must see something in him that shows he isn't ready yet.

Why would we play Furrey as a nickle back?

I take that back....he isn't listed as IR....now I am just not sure.

it's the same reason why none of the defensive rookies are playing. i don't know what that reason is, but there has to be a reason. at this point they should all be getting a lot of playing time because we are going to get our asses kicked anyway so we might as well let them learn.

We are installing a new defense, my guess is that the coaching staff wants veteran players in to execute this defense. Once they get it working correctly, and most components are meshing, we will start to see younger players.

It's the proper way to go. Much easier to make adjustment and evaluate all.

unfortunately, here comes the part of the season where injuries dictate the personnel.

he did the same thing with Dwight Lowery who's now starting in Lito Sheppard's absence opposite of Darelle Revis. Lowery started off playing very little on specials and in some situations. By season's end he was a regular defensive contributor (nickel back at a minimum). During the New England-Tennessee stretch, Lowery made some exceptional "non-rookie" plays.

I expect that Veikune and Francies will see more action as the season goes on. Veikune is switching positions but I already saw more from him than I have yet to see from Vernon Gholston. I wonder if that experience is shaping this one.

Archived