THE BROWNS BOARD

Why we must Draft a DB in Round 1

Orange_&_Brown_Town

Since the Browns return to the league in '99, we haven't drafted a DB in round one. With this in mind is it any surprise as to why our secondary gets torched every week. I'm sick of hearing "if we don't get a pass rush it doesn't matter who is at db." We haven't had much luck in drafting lb's, or d linemen in round one (warren, c. brown, wimbley) so why not go after a corner or safety. Besides Wright, we have a roster full of average d backs who wouldn't make many rosters. Getting a lockdown corner or ballhawk in the secondary does wonders for a defense, not to mention special teams. Just look at the consistent top defenses in the league. Baltimore and Pittsburgh, both have a superstar. It's time we get one.

I'm sick of hearing "if we don't get a pass rush it doesn't matter who is at db."

While it's becoming more of a need with B-Mac's stock falling, that still holds true. We have some pretty useless guys at LB in Barton (he is terrible) and Bowens. That, plus Retarded play-calling which either telegraphs the blitz you're going to run or sends only three guys in. I don't care if you have 5 pro-bowl corners, they'll most likely be torched if the QB has more than 5 seconds to throw the ball.

One thing that Mangini has a good track record on is DBs. He picked Revis and Lowery in NY. He's managed to get by with some lesser veteran talent (Poteat, etc).

I think that you're correct though. If you look at Denver and the NY Jets, those "first time" head coaches are getting a lot of pub and I'm not saying that they haven't earned it BUT....they have Bailey and Revis respectively.

You can't run those defenses as aggressively without a cover-corner. The Browns lack a cover corner and it's been a problem for a while. The pass rush improves the DBs and vica versa.

I do agree if you want a real good corner, you need to grab them in round 1 unless you plan to get lucky.

CB is a skill position. There aren't many who can play it at a high level and they usually get plucked from the board by pick 25.

right now, all i'd say is if we have a chance to draft eric berry and it makes sense, i'd be more than pissed if we didn't take him. He is a one in a decade talent. Can anyone honestly disagree with that?

I hope Pike drops off the board too cause of his wrist problem currently. I could be way wrong, but he just feels like Joe Flacco. Hell, he even looks him too.

eric berry or taylor mays. i think that both will be total forces in this league. they both have size, speed and hit like trucks. sure they're not cover-first guys, but they will make receivers afraid to jump to make a catch.

i don't know much about berry character wise, but i saw an interview with mays the other day and he has a very good head on his shoulders. he speaks very well, has a lot of respect for refs, coaches, teammates and opposing team members. basically: HE HAS CLASS. he fits the mangini mold better than anyone out there right now. i think a brown jersey would fit his mold well.

One would think a team with the worst QB play in the NFL over the past decade+ would consider drafting a QB. But that is just me.

the problem is there aren't any qb's in this draft in my opinion. however, seeing how many qb busts there are around i am hesitant to take any qb in the first round.

One would think a team with the worst QB play in the NFL over the past decade+ would consider drafting a QB. But that is just me.

When a decade of trying to get a franchise QB did not help- how can one expect to hope that this time will be the charm ? We would rather spend top dollar on a sure shot guarantee that helps fix some glaring needs, but that's just us.

Fortunately, we have two stud safeties sitting there in the top ten. Not just one. So we should have a choice of Mays or Berry depending on which one's left.

If they're both there, then I would go with Berry. This guy is an absolute playmaker. Having a presence in the middle of the field is invaluable to a defense.

If we can get a stud safety and then another ILB to help D'Qwell, our defense will suddenly become competitive. Now we may have that ILB already (Veikune), but I doubt it.

At the QB position, we just have to tolerate it for now. I have no faith in anybody who would be in the draft next year. Clausen is probably the guy with the highest potential in the NFL, but he really should stay one more year at ND. Bradford, Tebow, and McCoy all work exclusively out of the shotgun. You would have to spend so much time on their dropback timing, reads, etc. Forget about it.

true BUT not every draft has a true franchise caliber qb. Finding that unique talent is a costly gamble, but realizing Berry, Mays, or Haden (Fla. CB) will be studs is obvious.

eric berry or taylor mays. i think that both will be total forces in this league. they both have size, speed and hit like trucks. sure they're not cover-first guys, but they will make receivers afraid to jump to make a catch.

What stands out about Berry is his coverage ability, not his hitting. Monte Kiffin has him lining up at CB at times because he's so good in that area.

Mays, on the other hand, is more of a hitter. But he doesn't have Berry's instincts and - as the Notre Dame game showed - he's not going to intimidate every receiver out there.

Taylor Mays scares some receivers; Eric Berry gives QB's nightmares.

What stands out about Berry is his coverage ability, not his hitting. Monte Kiffin has him lining up at CB at times because he's so good in that area.

Mays, on the other hand, is more of a hitter. But he doesn't have Berry's instincts and - as the Notre Dame game showed - he's not going to intimidate every receiver out there.

Taylor Mays scares some receivers; Eric Berry gives QB's nightmares.

Its a whole new ball game in the Pro's technique is essential, a guy can scare some young college age WR but its a different story when you are going up against seasoned Pro-veterans.

I am so damn torn on this whole thing..one day im hot on berry...very hot on suh...but know we need a STUD real deal game changing RB and QB.

where do you start?..we have struck out a few times on QB.... but i do know a 2nd or 3rd should be spent on OL.

Im sticking with SUH though...but im always wrong going back to camp couch...the first major division on our board..when we playfully picked camps and held our ground...

Build from inside out:

DE

OT

OLB

DB

ILB

RB

QB

Most people would turn this order on its head... but consider the number of busts at QB and the relative ease of getting a RB. Plus, no one's finding their franchize QB in this draft, except maybe as a sleeper by accident in a late round.

Archived