THE BROWNS BOARD

Maiava & Veikune

WPB Dawg Fan

Why Maiava is getting the press for replacing Jackson has been a HUGE issue...

Where is Veikune? Is he a bust? etc...

Well, here are a couple tidbits about that situation I found interesting:

(On how he will adjust the defense without having D'Qwell Jackson)- "We have a couple different options. I actually thought that Kaluka (Maiava) did a pretty nice job for his first extended exposure inside. David Bowens started last year inside, five games, so he's played there. Jason has played there some, Jason Trusnik. Barton can play with MIKE or WILL, so that gives us some flexibility, depending on if you wanted to go with a bigger guy or wanted to go with a not as big guy. It gives us some flexibility there, just because he's played both spots."

So you see that Veikune was mentioned...but I noticed a the comment about Barton playing the MIKE or WILL...and wondered at that...

(On why he did not include David Veikune in the list of players who could play inside linebacker)- "I made a mistake, Tony (Grossi). I should have added him to that list as well. David's made a lot of progress inside, playing the MIKE. Because he's been there, I didn't think to list him with the group."

and then...

(On why he moved David Veikune from defensive end to inside linebacker)- "I saw a lot of parallels with him and (Tedy) Bruschi, in terms of body type, in terms of the ability to rush from an inside position, which is unique in itself. Tedy in 2000, when he first moved inside, [there was] quite a bit of transition, because it is. It's a different world. Once he got used to it, he was very effective. I'm not saying that the lines are going to follow exactly the same way, I'm just saying body type, past experience, speed, the ability to come up and take on guards, all those things I thought David would do a real nice job with. Even height, some of that, [inside linebackers] tend to be not quite as tall as the outside [line]backers."

(On why Maiava went in during the second half at Pittsburgh instead of Veikune)- "Kaluka plays the WILL and that's what D'Qwell plays. It was the easiest, based on the reps that we had allocated during practice. It was the progression that we had set, if something happened to D'Qwell. [They play] the same position."

(On if Veikune will get reps at WILL)- "No, what I was saying is could move Barton to WILL and Veikune to MIKE. Barton's played both. He's advanced enough where he could play either at any point."

(On if it is disappointing that Veikune has not gotten many defensive reps during games since he was as second round pick)- "No, not necessarily. As we've talked about before, everybody develops differently. That's not an easy spot. You have to be able to get in, run the huddle. You have to be able to call out all the adjustments. You have to be able to make all the run-pass reads. There's a lot of stuff going on there. It is a big transition going from end to that spot, but you have to do it at some point. I thought the value of him getting that experience, working at that spot, looking at it, again, short term and long term, thought that would be best for his development."

I would LOVE for us to have a Tedy Bruschi...so am willing to wait for Veikune to develop.

I really, REALLY, hope that Veikune can be a bona fide starter for this team. Everyone who was anyone said he was a reach at his draft position.

Well, if anybody was paying attention we didn't have a pick for quite awhile after the spot we grabbed him. But, I digress.

We have got to have another tackler/banger in the middle of our defense. If, IF, Veikune is that guy then that's huge, because I really see us adding a top-flight safety (Berry/Mays) at the top of our draft next year.

After that, I think we go offense (RB, RT, G) for awhile. We do have 11 picks next year.

because Maiava is more suited as a MLB and Veikune as OLB.

I feel that Maiava is gonna be excellent, he managed to rack up 66 tackles in his last year with USC, normally these are pretty decent numbers, but these numbers are great when you consider all the other USC LBs went in the first round and second round(and Maualuga should have gone in the first), which means the tackles were fought for.

He's being called a bust because he has been here for 6 months now and has not earned a probowl and not brought us to the championship, he does not lead the league in tackle, sacks, and interception. WHAT? he has not hit the field yet? What's wrong with these rookies.. You know they are supposed to sign the paper and dominate from the first second they hit CBS. Forget the NFL learning curve..if we draft them.... they must be gods..

Oh, just human..my bad.

Nopie.

Veikune, per SAM RUTIGLIANO, was drafted out of college as being a

defensive end.

Maiava was a college lb.

Sam said that the responsibilities are a ton to learn

for a college DE, not so bad, necessarily, for a college lb.

Doug Dieken agreed, and said he thinks the veterans may slide over, instead of putting all the pressure

on the rookies.

But I think we'll see the rookies in there.

I would LOVE for us to have a Tedy Bruschi...so am willing to wait for Veikune to develop.

Glad to see you posting again WPB!

I don't think Veikune is a bust or will be a bust. I just think it's more that our staff is hesitant to start 2 rookie LBers right now. Since Maiava started in a 3-4 scheme in college - he had a little bit of a head start. Believe it or not, right now all 4 LBers from that USC defense last year are starting for their NFL teams. I find that interesting.

- Tom F.

Gonna be a very interesting game tomorrow. Gonna see the rooks thrown in with the new players at this LB position, I will have my eye on all of them.

I have a feeling that we are going to have 1 or 2 guys emerge from this group.

I hope so as well...But i do not know of anyone calling some a bust yet...actually i take that back i have seen Robiskie = Bust threads all over the place...not every QB comes in and flaccos (or quinns..zingg!) same with position players ..Ryan stated linebakcer may be the hardest position to learn in the NFl..especially the spot they are looking at for Veikune as he would end up making the calls that barton handles...he moved from DE ...no slack anymore.

Gonna be a very interesting game tomorrow. Gonna see the rooks thrown in with the new players at this LB position, I will have my eye on all of them.

I have a feeling that we are going to have 1 or 2 guys emerge from this group.

this will be interesting, and will give us something to watch.

Gives me hope, better than watching pryor right now, he looks lost.

David Harris of the Jets didn't get a chance until about this point in the 2007 season and when he did get his chance after Vilma went down he dominated. Should have been defensive rookie of the year. Of course, Harris was a 1st round grade and Veikune a different story and I'm surprised they drafted him when they did. Hindsight is 20/20 and they might have been able to draft the same guys they did minus Veikune and plus RayM, knowing espeically that he's packaged more for inside... then again, Veikune could surprise and he did play tough in college.

Archived