THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense-"Bring it every play"

Canton Mike

I have been thinking of this after observing our games this year, where we tend to wear down on defense , especially after halftime because we seem to rush 3 at least once every series & it leads to long drives buy our opponents, then we go "3 & out" & they're right back on the field. Why not rush AT LEAST 5 guys EVERY defensive play? Sound silly?..Here's my logic....

1) IF we get burned for a long TD, it would most likely be quick...NOT 3 or 4 minutes=less continual time on field

2) More sacks

3) Possibility of more turnovers through "hurrying" their offense

4) The opponents OL can't beat the "H" out of each of our 3 linemen..they'll be spread thinner

5) Holding the opponent to fewer yards/plays before punts=better field position for us

I would love to see us play D with that kind of aggressiveness & believe that the more aggressive approach would also give an opposing QB a lot less time to explore our weaknesses. I don't think it can be argued that our D has looked a whole lot better WHEN it plays aggressively. It's when we go back to the 3 man line that we defeat what we had accomplished earlier in a series. Look at how aggressive our special teams are & their results have been pretty darned good.

My mindset has always been..."We can hold our heads up, win or lose, as long as we played aggressively". You can't give teams all day to MAKE a mistake...the good teams FORCE mistakes!

Ok, now it's time to call me a fool, but before you do, what's our record now & what would we have to lose by trying this?

Mike

I have been thinking of this after observing our games this year, where we tend to wear down on defense , especially after halftime because we seem to rush 3 at least once every series & it leads to long drives buy our opponents, then we go "3 & out" & they're right back on the field. Why not rush AT LEAST 5 guys EVERY defensive play? Sound silly?..Here's my logic....

1) IF we get burned for a long TD, it would most likely be quick...NOT 3 or 4 minutes=less continual time on field

2) More sacks

3) Possibility of more turnovers through "hurrying" their offense

4) The opponents OL can't beat the "H" out of each of our 3 linemen..they'll be spread thinner

5) Holding the opponent to fewer yards/plays before punts=better field position for us

I would love to see us play D with that kind of aggressiveness & believe that the more aggressive approach would also give an opposing QB a lot less time to explore our weaknesses. I don't think it can be argued that our D has looked a whole lot better WHEN it plays aggressively. It's when we go back to the 3 man line that we defeat what we had accomplished earlier in a series. Look at how aggressive our special teams are & their results have been pretty darned good.

My mindset has always been..."We can hold our heads up, win or lose, as long as we played aggressively". You can't give teams all day to MAKE a mistake...the good teams FORCE mistakes!

Ok, now it's time to call me a fool, but before you do, what's our record now & what would we have to lose by trying this?

Mike

Really good stuff Mike. I think it would help our DBs considerably if we pressure Rodgers the way some other teams have been able to do.

Another thing I NEED to see is Mike Adams STARTING in our secondary. I don't MIND if a guy like that makes a mistake because he brings it every play - all that he has.

I know it's a bottomline business where some will saythere's no points for moral victories. That said, once you've watched a couple 60 minute games where you didn't have anything to cheer vrs taking a team that's doing better than you on the season into OT - I'll take the game where I had plays to applaud. And why? This is the stage of transition where we are at right now. I think we had a couple weeks where we built some momentum before we got the flu and an officiating crew that did soem hocus pocus with first down chains.

- Tom F.

Archived