THE BROWNS BOARD

PLEASE READ!!!

Riffer X

Hey everybody, a very close friend of mine is running the Marine Corps Marathon today down in Washington DC (with the flu BTW). As anybody knows, running and completing a marathon is a tremendous feat, but she is also doing this for a great cause that affects all of us. She lost her nephew back in 2000 to Sudden Cardiac Arrest at football practice, however, this is a more common issue than people realize. Rather than expound any further, I will copy and paste the blurb from her donation website here at http://www.giveforward.org/marathonsandy/ ---

This is not a solicitation, but if you could take about two minutes and go to this site---even for just a dollar donation---it would be huge. We have until the 31st to continue to raise funds. To this point it hasn't fared as well as hoped but we're are doing more to get the word out there.

You think your child or teenager is healthy. They may be living with an undetected heart condition which could lead to sudden cardiac death!

This is Ken’s Story:

Ken was a young man who had decided to be someone great. He knew he had to attend college to achieve his goal of being a doctor. He thought a scholarship would be possible if he would get involved in a sport. He chose football. He felt with his best efforts that he would succeed. After being cleared with a basic physical he joined a football training mini camp at school. He had a cardiac arrest and died while at practice on 6/7/00. He was 17 years old. After his death we decided to find out how many teenagers have a cardiac arrest and die from undetected heart defects. Needless to say it's just too many. In 1996 the American Heart Association reported that better cardiac prescreening for young athletes could prevent such tragedies.

The foundation was formed to educate the public about Sudden cardiac arrest and death in youth and athletes. It is the leading cause of fatalities on school property and for athletes and yet we are barely informed. We can do more. Placing defibrillators, screening hearts and education will be the key to saving young lives. Join Ken's family in our efforts. www.kenheart.org

There was also a very heartwarming article in my old hometown newspaper The Star Beacon on Sandy and her efforts here http://www.starbeacon.com/homepage/local_s..._295230721.html

Aunt to run marathon in memory of nephew

By MARGIE TRAX PAGE - Staff Writer - mtrax@starbeacon.com

Star Beacon

GENEVA — Two young children, more like brother and sister than cousins, shared a nap on Easter years ago, worn out from candy and friendly rabbits with eggs.

Sandy Rumer’s heart melted like a chocolate bunny on a windowsill as she watched her daughter snuggle with her beloved nephew Kenneth Derminer. She took a mental snapshot of the two and moved on to cleaning dishes and other post-Easter dinner chores, not fully understanding how precious that memory would become.

Rumer’s life changed in 2001, when Ken Derminer died of sudden cardiac arrest during a football clinic. Rumer’s last holiday memory of Ken would be that Easter moment.

Now a board member with the Kids Endangered Now (KEN) Heart Foundation, Rumer and sister Linette Derminer are working to raise awareness and prevent sudden cardiac arrest from occurring in youth and athletes by providing Automatic External Defibrillators (portable electric shock devices that restore a proper heart rhythm) to local organizations and locations.

Now Rumer is taking her goal to the next level by running in the 26-mile U.S. Marine Corps Marathon in Washington on Sunday to benefit the KEN Heart Foundation.

“The problem is that we don’t have enough donations,” Rumer said. “We are a long, long way away from our $2,500 goal.”

To donate to the KEN Heart Foundation through Rumer’s run, go to www.giveforward.org/marathonsandy. Donations can be made up to a week after the marathon, Rumer said.

The 39-year-old mom said her family is very close and Ken’s death was devastating to everyone who knew him.

“I used to babysit Kenneth and his sisters when they were younger and took my daughter Amanda with me. Amanda felt as if Kenneth was her older brother,” she said.

Rumer said her memories of her nephew are infused with the natural joy he brought to every occasion, from “hamming it up” for the video camera, telling jokes, or watching him open his guitar on his last Christmas morning.

“How do you come up with a favorite memory?” she said. “(Kenneth) was special, funny and caring. His family and friends loved him. When he died, it was such a tragic moment in our family. You just don’t expect to be going about your daily routine and receive the news that your nephew died — that he dropped to the ground while doing some jumping jacks at a football mini camp.”

Rumer said while her family will never be the same after the tragedy, she is proud of her sister Linette Derminer and her family for pulling together to provide life-saving AED’s to help other “hearts in trouble.”

“My sister and brother-in-law didn’t mess around. They started this organization very quickly after Kenneth died,” Rumer said. “We struggled to make sense of his death and we never could, but knowing that we are being proactive and hopefully raising awareness of sudden cardiac arrest and placing AED machines in facilities where children and athletes are at risk at least gives us some satisfaction that he did not die in vain,” she said.

Saturday will be Rumer’s second run in the Marine Corps Marathon.

“I always had it in the back of my mind that I would run it again one day and it would be for Kenneth, and my sister and for every person out there who has lost someone from an sudden cardiac arrest,” she said.

Rumer said she hopes to finish the 26-mile run in 4 1/2 hours. She will run with a picture of her nephew pinned over her heart.

Businesses can sponsor a defibrillator for a local school or organization and individuals can also contribute by contacting Lisa Bruckman at 998-7896 or Linette Derminer at 466-0417. Contributions can be sent to The KEN Heart Foundation, P.O. Box 237, Geneva 44041.

For more information on the foundation, sudden cardiac arrest prevention, or AED units, visit www.kenheart.org. More information on heart defects and support for parents who have lost a child to SCA can be found at www.parentheartwatch.org and www.ncpn.org.

She finished at the following:

Start 5K 10K 15K 20K Half 25K 30K 35K Finish

8:08:03 AM 00:34:29 01:45:38 02:31:22 02:40:03 03:09:38 03:52:46 04:36:44 05:42:36

Time Chip Time: 05:42:36 Clock Time: 5:48:38 Pace: 13:04

Place Overall: 18125 Gender: 6786 Division:

She did this with the flu.

She finished at the following:

Start 5K 10K 15K 20K Half 25K 30K 35K Finish

8:08:03 AM 00:34:29 01:45:38 02:31:22 02:40:03 03:09:38 03:52:46 04:36:44 05:42:36

Time Chip Time: 05:42:36 Clock Time: 5:48:38 Pace: 13:04

Place Overall: 18125 Gender: 6786 Division:

She did this with the flu.

The irony here is the KIND of heart that put forth such an effort with the flu for such a cause. Thanks for sharing this Riff!

- Tom F.

I knew this board still had some classy individuals, I really appreciate the thanks folks. Seriously, if you all could just take a couple minutes and go donate a buck or two it would mean a helluva lot.

I wouldn't normally ask for donations on much of anything unless it meant a lot to me and the cause is genuine. This affects the kids in our communities here in NE Ohio and everywhere.

Thanks again,

Russ

The irony here is the KIND of heart that put forth such an effort with the flu for such a cause. Thanks for sharing this Riff!

- Tom F.

I was thinking that myself Flugs. Eric Wright wasn't even one of the flu guys but he may as well had full blown AIDS the way he played. I have never seen someone so afraid to tackle anybody in my life. Donald Driver is still laughing at him.

This was one of the worst efforts I can remember, nobody showed up at all. They can blame the flu all they want and probably will, but when a 39 year old woman can run a marathon with the flu....well, maybe that tells us more about this team than we want to know.

Bmac and Wright disgust me, they really do. Antoine Winfield would make both of them his bitch.

I was thinking that myself Flugs. Eric Wright wasn't even one of the flu guys but he may as well had full blown AIDS the way he played. I have never seen someone so afraid to tackle anybody in my life. Donald Driver is still laughing at him.

This was one of the worst efforts I can remember, nobody showed up at all. They can blame the flu all they want and probably will, but when a 39 year old woman can run a marathon with the flu....well, maybe that tells us more about this team than we want to know.

Bmac and Wright disgust me, they really do. Antoine Winfield would make both of them his bitch.

These guys make WAY too much $ in today's economy posing as entertainers to be THAT non-entertaining. If someone can run a marathon with the flu - these guys can SHOWUP after the flu so the home fans don't have to THROWUP like they have the flu.

If the OWNER actually didn't have so many hobbies - maybe we could bother him to SHOWUP so they player feel more compelled to SHOWUP.

Speaking of the concept of SHOWUP - how about us showing up for our boy Riff? This is a pretty important cause that means alot to him. Let's go folks. Come on Skippy - you made enough cake in Vegas to own a small college town in one of the Dakotas.

Let's make this happen for God Sakes!

- Tom F.

These guys make WAY too much $ in today's economy posing as entertainers to be THAT non-entertaining. If someone can run a marathon with the flu - these guys can SHOWUP after the flu so the home fans don't have to THROWUP like they have the flu.

If the OWNER actually didn't have so many hobbies - maybe we could bother him to SHOWUP so they player feel more compelled to SHOWUP.

Speaking of the concept of SHOWUP - how about us showing up for our boy Riff? This is a pretty important cause that means alot to him. Let's go folks. Come on Skippy - you made enough cake in Vegas to own a small college town in one of the Dakotas.

Let's make this happen for God Sakes!

- Tom F.

Thanks a lot Flugs, I really appreciate it. This is a very important cause to try to get the AED machines in our schools. She is so sick from running that marathon that she had to go to the doctor and is bed ridden. Come on folks, just a few bucks---even a dollar--would mean a lot for at least what she did. It takes two to three minutes online if you go to the link to enter your debit card in and donate. If you're the type like Flugs that doesn't like using online for payments, just send a check to the following address:

KEN(Kids Endangered Now) Heart Foundation

P.O. Box 237

Geneva, OH 44041

Just write Marathon in the memo of the check.

Please help out folks, you don't know how much it would be appreciated. Thanks again and thanks to you Flugs for helping us out, you are a good man.

This is a really great cause. I know someone whose life was saved because his church had purchased an AED machine. It's all the more important that schools have these machines to deal with medical emergencies.

As the article Russ posted notes, sudden cardiac arrest occurs all too often in young athletes. It's important that groups like the KEN Heart Foundation have the resources necessary to make high school two-a-days a lot more safe.

I just made a donation. Hopefully, some more BrownsBoarders can chip in to help this organization do some great work.

This is a really great cause. I know someone whose life was saved because his church had purchased an AED machine. It's all the more important that schools have these machines to deal with medical emergencies.

As the article Russ posted notes, sudden cardiac arrest occurs all too often in young athletes. It's important that groups like the KEN Heart Foundation have the resources necessary to make high school two-a-days a lot more safe.

I just made a donation. Hopefully, some more BrownsBoarders can chip in to help this organization do some great work.

Bless both of you guys, it is soooo appreciated.

Total class Aaron, never expected any different.

Thanks again fellas

*Edit* and JC---thanks bro

Wanted to say thanks to the Browns Board Admin for pitching a good amount.

Keep in mind fellas, this link is only good until the 31st but after that you can donate to the following address:

KEN (Kids Endangered Now) Heart Foundation

P.O. Box 237

Geneva, OH 44041

Just write Sandy (Marathon) in the memo of the check.

Even a buck is good folks, takes two minutes online.

Glad to help Russ.

Along this same line, we will make a personal appearance and monetary donation at the HLH FUNDRAISER on November 15th, on behalf of TheBrownsBoard and in support of other members of this site.

On Novemeber 21st, TheBrownsBoard, teamed with Createns, will sponsor an entire Race page at the Berea Baseball Associations Travel (BBAT) Night at the Races at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds. TheBrownsBoard will also be purchasing a horse in this race and we will hold a 'Name the Horse' poll soon. Tickets to this event are $20, and include a catered meal, deserts, draught beer & beverages. Outside Alcohol and snacks are also permitted, so grab some friends, buy/name a horse and come out for a great time.

This past fall we put up a pair of Browns Season tickets + individual game tickets on behalf of TheBrownsBoard for the BBAT to raffle off. One lucky winner (or unlucky, the way this season is going) won a pair of seats to all eight Browns regular season Home games. The second drawn winner won a pair of tickets to last Sundays Browns Game against Green Bay and the third name drawn won a pair of Preseason tickets. The BBAT youth baseball program raised nearly $2,000 from our assistance.

TheBrownsStore.com was the sole source of generated revenue behind these donations, as well as supports these forums and this site financially. We Thank-you all for shopping at TheBrownsStore.com and hope you continue to chose the online store for all your NFL, MLB, MBA, NCAA and other sporting apparel and allow us to continue to provide these forums and help area youth programs.

Thanks to all for allowing us to make such donations to these fine charities.

Archived