THE BROWNS BOARD

DA forced zero punts

roach

i outlasted most Browns fans and left with less than 9:00 to play. As of then, DA had forced GB to punt zero times: he provided no pass rush, no pass coverage, and he couldn't stop the run. No matter what he did, GB trounced right through him. The Packers marched the ball right down his throat. That guy needs to learn how to tackle.

BTW, it was great to see Kath at the tailgate. She is prettier than when i met her in 1999. i wish we had more time to talk.

i outlasted most Browns fans and left with less than 9:00 to play. As of then, DA had forced GB to punt zero times: he provided no pass rush, no pass coverage, and he couldn't stop the run. No matter what he did, GB trounced right through him. The Packers marched the ball right down his throat. That guy needs to learn how to tackle.

BTW, it was great to see Kath at the tailgate. She is prettier than when i met her in 1999. i wish we had more time to talk.

But what DA did do was complete just 7 of his last 24 passes, and for the thrid game in a row threw for under 125 yards. Must have been breazy out there today.

Pathetic.

I agree DA sucks...whether on offense defense or special teams... so what's your point?

Come on Ed let's not try to let DA off the hook cuz the rest of the team sucks. DA is godawful, just putrid. I am so sick of watching other competent QB's around the league and then watching him.

Wished I would have made the tailgate today but not upset about missing the game. Hope the gate went well.

Wow. Hitting the pipe a little too much?

I think he is trying to say that while our QB's are horrific, we have just as big, if not bigger problems on all sides of the ball, and in all seats in the coaches lounge too.

Solid points. Too many people forget that the QB isn't playing D. However. . . how responsible is he for 3 points over 4 quarters?

An OC is also to blame for 3 points. Lotsa positions needing upgrading to be sure.

Great post, actually ... I thought maybe I saw a different game on the West Coast feed. As bad as DA was at missing receivers, and the play calling of throwing deep on 3rd-n-2, our Defense was downright awful.

I am so embarrassed to be a Browns fan, because the reason I fell in love with this team as a child was because I was a fand of defensive backs, and we always had good ones. Today, this has to be the sorriest defensive backfield I've ever witnessed.

While most are throwing up stats of incompletitions and dropped passes, I'd like to see where in ran in the league on missed tackles and giving up plays of 20+ yards.

You should probably put down the roach and breath some fresh air.

DA is garbage. Plain and simple. If you can't see that by now, you're probably not a well educated man/woman.

Great post, actually ... I thought maybe I saw a different game on the West Coast feed. As bad as DA was at missing receivers, and the play calling of throwing deep on 3rd-n-2, our Defense was downright awful.

I am so embarrassed to be a Browns fan, because the reason I fell in love with this team as a child was because I was a fand of defensive backs, and we always had good ones. Today, this has to be the sorriest defensive backfield I've ever witnessed.

While most are throwing up stats of incompletitions and dropped passes, I'd like to see where in ran in the league on missed tackles and giving up plays of 20+ yards.

Hmm.

2/12 on third down conversions... 12 total first downs (4 by the pass).

When you get as many 3 and outs as DA does on a regular basis, how do you expect a defense to stop the opposing team? Let alone one with an already solid offense?

Hmm.

2/12 on third down conversions... 12 total first downs (4 by the pass).

When you get as many 3 and outs as DA does on a regular basis, how do you expect a defense to stop the opposing team? Let alone one with an already solid offense?

ANSWER: By tackling them?

(was that a trick question, or something?)

I do have to say that our defense looks like they don't want to tackle anybody. I agree Anderson sucks. But our defense looks like a jr. high team trying to tackle somebody. We only have like 4 players that we should keep. The rest of them we should use as shark bait.

ANSWER: By tackling them?

(was that a trick question, or something?)

Oh, so you expect a defense to get a minute to 2 minutes of rest after a drive and come back out and shut down a top defense?

That's pretty silly, if you ask me. You're an idiot to think that fatigue doesn't play a factor in this game.

Oh, so you expect a defense to get a minute to 2 minutes of rest after a drive and come back out and shut down a top defense?

That's pretty silly, if you ask me. You're an idiot to think that fatigue doesn't play a factor in this game.

Really?

We ran more offensive plays than the Packers in the first half. Our Defense gave up a 71-yard TD on the Packers 2nd possesion, the Packers went 96-yards on 3 plays on their third possesion, and 15-yards in 7 plays for a TD on their fourth possesion. The only possesion in the first half they didn't score on was an 11-play drive that was miraculously halted on downs.

Packers had the ball for 6:25 in the first quarter, the Browns 8:35

Packers had the ball for 7:51 in the second quarter, the Browns 7:09

Total first half possessions, Packers: 14:16, Browns 15:44

Score: 21-3

I bet the Defense was exhausted ... poor guys

Really?

We ran more offensive plays than the Packers in the first half. Our Defense gave up a 71-yard TD on the Packers 2nd possesion, the Packers went 96-yards on 3 plays on their third possesion, and 15-yards in 7 plays for a TD on their fourth possesion. The only possesion in the first half they didn't score on was an 11-play drive that was miraculously halted on downs.

Packers had the ball for 6:25 in the first quarter, the Browns 8:35

Packers had the ball for 7:51 in the second quarter, the Browns 7:09

Total first half possessions, Packers: 14:16, Browns 15:44

Score: 21-3

I bet the Defense was exhausted ... poor guys

Wow, that must be a first!

I like how you had to pull out this game, but you fail to look at the majority of DA's games, like I stated.

Majority of our losses with DA at QB, it's because of all the 3 and outs. Go back, do some research. Learn a few things about this team, then come back to the forum and try to talk. Same thing happened with BQ, same thing used to happen with Charlie Frye.

Sure, our defense isn't great. But you can't expect them to be great 100% of the time when the QB can't even get a first down.

Either way, the fact that your defend DA is sad, and you should probably get some counseling and read a few "Football for Dummies" books because watching DA is not watching a QB play football. One day you'll learn, skippy. Then, you can come back and talk football with the big boys.

I like how you had to pull out this game, but you fail to look at the majority of DA's games, like I stated.

Majority of our losses with DA at QB, it's because of all the 3 and outs. Go back, do some research. Learn a few things about this team, then come back to the forum and try to talk. Same thing happened with BQ, same thing used to happen with Charlie Frye.

Sure, our defense isn't great. But you can't expect them to be great 100% of the time when the QB can't even get a first down.

Either way, the fact that your defend DA is sad, and you should probably get some counseling and read a few "Football for Dummies" books because watching DA is not watching a QB play football. One day you'll learn, skippy. Then, you can come back and talk football with the big boys.

Well, that was a sheepish reply.

This thread is about Defense, that why I posted about Defense. Show me one shread of evidence where I defend DA here in this thread.

You toss up an excuse for the Defense about time of possesion and I prove that you are not wrong, and so you switch gears to turning it back to DA.

(NOTE: I love how everyone blames everyone else for turning all threads into the BQ/DA debates)

I wasn't talking about DA here. I'm talking about the fact that we can't tackle and our defense was horrible yesterday. To bring up our QB play from previous games, is a weak opposition for our tackling yesterday.

Perhaps maybe "one day you should learn, then come back and talk football with the big boys". Nice personal attack btw, after wiping egg from your face.

Actually, funny how you don't use this game to support your stance on Quinn. There were two other games where the Browns held the time of possession through the first half. One being the Viking game that BQ started, and the other the Bronco's game that BQ started.

We held a 13-10 lead against the Vikes in the first half (16:06 -to- 13:54 TOP advantage), yet the Defense still got raped in the second half for 24 points, losing eventually 34-20

In the Denver game, we trailed 10-6 at the half despite winning the TOP (16:07 -to- 13:53), our defense was ass-raped in that one 27-6.

We will forgive the tough-guy comments you threw at me earlier, it's not to late to join the fundamentally challenged defense bandwagon bashing.

roach, I agree that the D was putrid but I don't see why you'd try to justify one aspect of putrid with the other.

If you agree DA is putrid, then we're on the same page. But if you're saying DA gets -- ANOTHER -- pass because the D was putrid, well, I don't get that at all.

The fact is that putrid begets putrid and competence begets competence.

I say we start with the coaches and then the QB and then the RB and then the D.

Fix the top and the rest will get better.

Put another way: DA getting better would help the D. The D getting better doesn't help DA.

roach, I agree that the D was putrid but I don't see why you'd try to justify one aspect of putrid with the other.

If you agree DA is putrid, then we're on the same page. But if you're saying DA gets -- ANOTHER -- pass because the D was putrid, well, I don't get that at all.

The fact is that putrid begets putrid and competence begets competence.

I say we start with the coaches and then the QB and then the RB and then the D.

Fix the top and the rest will get better.

Put another way: DA getting better would help the D. The D getting better doesn't help DA.

I believe he is only trying to bring attention to the defensive problem. If the thread was titled 'Defense should shoulder some blame', no one would read it because BQ or DA ain't in the title.

That's all he's attempting to do ... let's not read too much more into it. There are plenty of BQ & DA threads out there, this one is one of the few trying to shed some light on a real dark problem that no one discusses at the Southern Californian rainbow parties, and that is our defense sucks.

The defense is awful, mostly the defensive backs who can't tackle. I think that is the side that should be addressed in the off-season and draft. Don't draft a qb or rb in round 1. We need playmakers on defense.

Heres the problem Mark... We have no offense none.. We have to score points first our defense can come after. Our defense barely leaves the field.

Sunday the possession time was 36 minutes Green Bay 23 minutes us... Big difference we can't sustain drives and we can't keep our defense of the field.

Our first and foremost priority must be our offense points are kinda necessary

Heres the problem Mark... We have no offense none.. We have to score points first our defense can come after. Our defense barely leaves the field.

Sunday the possession time was 36 minutes Green Bay 23 minutes us... Big difference we can't sustain drives and we can't keep our defense of the field.

Our first and foremost priority must be our offense points are kinda necessary

If that was the problem with our defense, then how do you explain the Time of possession at the half favoring us 15:44 -to- 14:16 for Green Bay ... and the score 21-3 them?

Because of the Interception?

Ok fine, i'll give you that one, but how do you explain the 14-3 rut we found ourselves in when Green Bay's first 11:19 in possessions, having put up 211 yards of offense in their first three possesion? Browns led the TOP with 11:50 and ran more offensive plays in the first half than the Packers, yet the game was already over.

Perhaps if the defense could get a few 3-n-outs of their own, the offense might find a rythm?

I agree that the defense needs some serious help. But, the the offense needs to step up. The defense was on the field for more than 35 minutes! Against a team that has a quick-strike offense that doesn't normally eat up a lot of the clock! That is a very tired defensive unit by halftime...if not by the end of the first quarter! DA is a huge joke! His numbers are pathetic. And 75% of the passes he is throwing are not even remotely close to being catchable! I tell my wife every week that I won't watch or listen to the next game. But I always bring myself back for more punishment. I know what is going to happen. It is inevitable. Daboll's game plan reads..."run, run, pass, punt" on every drive. With DA in there, he gets to spare Zastudil occasionally with the run, run, pass/pick! Mangini is quickly losing any credibility he still has by continuing to play DA after yanking Quinn for him. Quinn's completion rate for the season is around 20 points higher than DA's. And he was yanked after 10 quarters of play? We've since had to endure 18 quarters of Dumb-Ass?! FOR WHAT REASON! Get BQ back in there, get Ratliff in there, get Cribbs in there (Don't even get me started on the wildcatless.). Mankok has got to do something...NOW!

I believe he is only trying to bring attention to the defensive problem. If the thread was titled 'Defense should shoulder some blame', no one would read it because BQ or DA ain't in the title.

That's all he's attempting to do ... let's not read too much more into it. There are plenty of BQ & DA threads out there, this one is one of the few trying to shed some light on a real dark problem that no one discusses at the Southern Californian rainbow parties, and that is our defense sucks.

Um...huh?

I'm not "reading" into anything. Roach brought up DA, not me. I asked roach if he felt that DA was as bad as the D. If he does, we're in agreement. If he doesn't, I'm confused.

And I didn't say a word about BQ. You did.

Anyway, my question stands and since you're speaking for roach here, you can answer it too:

Which is more likely, the D helping the O or the O helping the D?

You can leave the QB out, if it makes you feel better. I think it's a legit question in a thread about the D, don't you?

Um...huh?

I'm not "reading" into anything. Roach brought up DA, not me. I asked roach if he felt that DA was as bad as the D. If he does, we're in agreement. If he doesn't, I'm confused.

And I didn't say a word about BQ. You did.

Anyway, my question stands and since you're speaking for roach here, you can answer it too:

Which is more likely, the D helping the O or the O helping the D?

You can leave the QB out, if it makes you feel better. I think it's a legit question in a thread about the D, don't you?

Dak my Croation brother! How goes it?

Archived