THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini Sticking with DA

rwshields

Been a looooong time since I posted here. How is everyone doing?

Anyways...

According to Mary Kay over at Cleveland.com Mangini has announced that he is sticking with DA this week.

I know Quinn's dink and dunk game isn't to exciting to watch, but at least, meh...nevermind, they both stink.

Anyone else this frustrated and hopeless?

Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says he's sticking with Derek Anderson

By Mary Kay Cabot

October 26, 2009, 2:55PM

Browns coach Eric Mangini said Monday he's sticking with Derek Anderson despite the fact he's the lowest rated passer in the NFL with a 40.6 rating.

Mangini said he still thinks Anderson "gives us the best chance right now to move the ball. I know his numbers haven't been impressive, but he hasn't been alone in producing those numbers.''

He cited the dropped passes over the previous few weeks. He also pointed to good plays such as the 21-yard pass to tight end Michael Gaines to the Green Bay 1 that almost went for a touchdown.

Mangini also stressed that not using Brady Quinn has nothing to do with keeping him from getting 70% of the plays, which would trigger $10.9 million in contract escalators.

"Nothing,'' said Mangini. "Zero.''

Asked if Quinn has a future in Cleveland, Mangini said he's told Quinn to continue to prepare as if he's going to play "because it changes quickly.''

Anderson threw 17 passes to his receivers against Green Bay, but connected only on three.

© 2009 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

Been a looooong time since I posted here. How is everyone doing?

Anyways...

According to Mary Kay over at Cleveland.com Mangini has announced that he is sticking with DA this week.

I know Quinn's dink and dunk game isn't to exciting to watch, but at least, meh...nevermind, they both stink.

Anyone else this frustrated and hopeless?

Welcome back ... misery loves company.

Hey, Zombo, I know you prefer DA over BQ but I also know that you prefer Ws to Ls any day of the week.

If YOU were in charge, would you start DA, BQ, or Ratliff the rest of the season?

IMHO, if he continues to start DA and DA continues to throw up (the fans actually are throwing up) miserable numbers it won't be long until Mangini becomes the laughing stock of the NFL. That is if he isn't already.

I can't believe things are this bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Zombo, I know you prefer DA over BQ but I also know that you prefer Ws to Ls any day of the week.

If YOU were in charge, would you start DA, BQ, or Ratliff the rest of the season?

IMHO, if he continues to start DA and DA continues to throw up (the fans actually are throwing up) miserable numbers it won't be long until Mangini becomes the laughing stock of the NFL. That is if he isn't already.

I can't believe things are this bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't prefer either of them. I doubt Ratliff is a better QB than either Anderson or Quinn.

It's an awful team and the coaching is not getting through to the players.

I would probably continue starting Anderson hoping that he gets in sync with the young receivers he has been working with for four weeks rather than change horse mid-stream one more time.

I really don't think a QB change beats Pittsburgh or Green Bay and I highly doubt one would beat Chicago.

Mangini is going to get fired if the team doesn't get competitive again. We had a two-game stretch against Cincy and Buf where we were competitive because of defense and special teams. But now the defense is back to horrible.

Honestly, I would do what Mangini is doing and send the same guys out there and try and build something rather than tinkering with the starters

Tinkering helped a little bit at first but now reality is back. And the reality is this team is simply not confident in itself.

I don't see where Brady Quinn or Bret Ratliff are going to instill that confidence either.

Zombo

--I think Quinn would have done a better job than Anderson did on those two red zone possessions yesterday, but in the past Anderson has been better than Quinn in the red zone, so ... the TEAM needs to get better, don't be a QB thread homo, there's a site for that.

The fact people are calling for Mangini's job is laughable. I'm on board with Mangini and Kokinis for now. They have 11 draft picks. Not playing Quinn is all about that stupid contract he's playing for. We want to be in the best position for the uncapped year in 2010.

The DA vs BQ talk doesn't matter. Neither one of them is the answer in Cleveland. Mangini had Pennington and Farve....no comparison. Watching the Jets this year says all I need to know about the talent Mangini brought in when he was with the Jets...(especially that Oline).

Play all of your young talent ...find out what you have and look for 2010. That's the only option

Mike

Zombo is right. The whole time I was putting down our 2 quaterbacks when the whole team is a joke. At this point we have nothing to lose but draft picks if we win.

I was thinking the same thing, but we will manage to even screw that up and win 1 or 2 games yet.

Even Jamarcus Russell was finally benched in favor of our what... 4th string QB from a season ago, and Russell has been playing better than Anderson. It's really unbelievable

No Zombo is right. This is far more than a quaterback problem. Are defense is unwatchable they look like they don't want to tackle anybody. we look like a bunch of idiots. It is really getting hard to show our Cleveland pride anymore. And it looks like they are not even trying win. We need some vet leaders. That is the only reason I like J. Lewis right now. I loved what J.J brought to the table along with Willie M. Ya they were old but they had leadership.

the defense quit playing why,well when you feel beat, and the offense putters over and over again ,and your getting pounded, and see no chance week in and week out ,and your field general sucks week in and week out ,the team has no spirit,..and gives up, also least we not forget , when you had edwards,winslow,jj,,heiden,stallworth,, with tucker and still a decent o-line your boy still sucked after mid-season 07 and all of 08, so cut the pass drop talent shit for not doing good..

the fans boo the team , the stadiums empty ,and out trots da again ,,m-man and zombo its not even funny for shit and giggles to get other posters worked up anymore ,after 3 weeks in a row and 12 for 29 1 int. and 2 fumbles 32nd passer rating for 2 years in a row now and you still antagonize the other posters with your bullshit its getting old,how in hell do you rah-rah da still ,no wonder half the board left ,they want to discuss what and how to win and you 2 espically want to keep basting da just enough to keep pissing intelligent posters off to leave for another board,,pretty soon if you keep it up you will be talking to each other because nobody else will be here...even lumm chilled out ...this is my advice ,take it or leave it ,later...

the defense quit playing why,well when you feel beat, and the offense putters over and over again ,and your getting pounded, and see no chance week in and week out ,and your field general sucks week in and week out ,the team has no spirit,..and gives up, also least we not forget , when you had edwards,winslow,jj,,heiden,stallworth,, with tucker and still a decent o-line your boy still sucked after mid-season 07 and all of 08, so cut the pass drop talent shit for not doing good..

the fans boo the team , the stadiums empty ,and out trots da again ,,m-man and zombo its not even funny for shit and giggles to get other posters worked up anymore ,after 3 weeks in a row and 12 for 29 1 int. and 2 fumbles 32nd passer rating for 2 years in a row now and you still antagonize the other posters with your bullshit its getting old,how in hell do you rah-rah da still ,no wonder half the board left ,they want to discuss what and how to win and you 2 espically want to keep basting da just enough to keep pissing intelligent posters off to leave for another board,,pretty soon if you keep it up you will be talking to each other because nobody else will be here...even lumm chilled out ...this is my advice ,take it or leave it ,later...

I'm a person who, all along, has favored keeping Quinn in from the start of the season. I think Zombo gave a thoughtful answer to a direct question and I can see his point. I don't agree with him, but his position seems reasonable to me, all things considered. So I think you're way off base with the "antagonizing other posters" accusation. Besides, the "recent unpleasantness" is now tired old news. We've all gotten over it and have reverted to friendly, if spirited, discussion. I suggest joining in rather than casting aspersions.

I don't agree with Zombo either...I think possibly having a QB protect the ball and try to get some drives together might be just what the team needs. I think that we need to do something...Anderson has been dreadful...Quinn was pathetic but have to remember it's only been 6 starts in the NFL as opposed to Andersons 36 starts and he isn't getting better. Quinn just might get better and turn more into the guy who was a pretty good college Qb.

I was completely against the thought of getting rid of a coach/gm combo after one year...but if this shit keeps up much longer, Lerner will have no choice but to make another change when there's guys like Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher out there looking for jobs this offseason. The empty seats and blackouts at the end of the season will force him into blowing this up after one season especially if we continue to get beat this bad. What would really be the difference at that point?

Mangini is a damn fool and should be fired i get angry everytime the camera shows his face and DA is still in the game.

I highly doubt he's the one making the decision about this right now. It has to be coming down from the top. Have you yet heard a cold hard fact of why he's sticking with him? Seems like he always skirts the situation and gives a candid answer. And on that note....

GO BROWNS!!! I'll always be behind them through thick and the thin.....the very very thin!

I don't agree with Zombo either...I think possibly having a QB protect the ball and try to get some drives together might be just what the team needs. I think that we need to do something...Anderson has been dreadful...Quinn was pathetic but have to remember it's only been 6 starts in the NFL as opposed to Andersons 36 starts and he isn't getting better. Quinn just might get better and turn more into the guy who was a pretty good college Qb.

I was completely against the thought of getting rid of a coach/gm combo after one year...but if this shit keeps up much longer, Lerner will have no choice but to make another change when there's guys like Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher out there looking for jobs this offseason. The empty seats and blackouts at the end of the season will force him into blowing this up after one season especially if we continue to get beat this bad. What would really be the difference at that point?

End of the year? LOL, I boot Mangini after they lose to the Bears (they will get blown out) and give the interim coach an extra week to get things in order. You give Quinn 2 games, Eric, you got 8- more than you deserve at this point. Assuming the Browns continue to get blown out, and look bad doing so- & Randy's looking at an empty Stadium Thursday night against the Steelers- and 1\2 the fans in the stadium are Steeler fans. Well, let's posit we get blown out again- Mangini may not have a job Friday. Personally, what would be the loss if we fire Mangini right then and there, appoint Kosar interim coach, and get Gruden or Shanahan offseason? I'm not exactly overawed by the production of Kokonuts draft to date. Mack's a keeper- but you draft a center in round One, he damn better well be. Mangini deconstructed this team to the level of an expansion franchise, so who give a rat who's doing the drafting come next spring. While you're at it, fire Kokonuts, and bring back Marty S to be GM- at least the guy has an eye for talent.

This is DA thing is getting beyond ridiculous. Mangini continues to serve us up one big DA turd after another on Sunday, and he's telling us "sooner or later, you're going to love the taste". Sorry I'm not buying it. I think I know what crap looks like and smells like. The only thing bothering me a little bit is the voice in the back of my mind telling me EMs former boss used to run "Metcalf up the Middle". We all used to call that nutso stupid. Well, we all know just how stupid BB turned out to be. Maybe Mangini's a clone of his boss, or just another rotten apple to fall off the Belichek tree. Time will tell.

Manginius, please don't insult the intelligence of 50 year Browns fans telling us you saw some positives in DA's performance. Sort of like the Captain of the Titanic telling people "Great news! It's only a small hole in the ship, so we won't sink as fast".

You're also telling me you think Quinn couldn't even cut it in the defunct Arena league. I'm not buying that either.

Zombo or anyone can post who they like. This isn't a high school clique where everyone has to like the same thing or they are put out. Everyone has opinions. Sounds like you are still in high school by your post.

Archived