THE BROWNS BOARD

pistol packin

calfoxwc

Well, I was talkin to a great friend of mine, his Dad was a special forces guy in the military,

etc, and collected guns. I went over to see his gun collection. Awesome, but a lot of the pistols

are revolvers, and a .22 magnum semi auto.

He and I were talking with other friends at a party, about hyperinflation, Obama's moves, etc (btw,

he VOTED for him), and he also thinks that we may be headed for hyperinflation, and social

strife, and high crime.

So, it came about that he wanted me to see his collection...

I've been thinkin for a good while now, that we need a pistol for home protection. Not just that...

but like when I was a fifth grader in S. Ohio, that one early almost spring night...and a mountain lion

of all things roared while I was closing up the cow pen, with our two cows already in it for the night.

And, we saw bear tracks a year ago, about the same time, late spring.

Why, I go out lookin for any hunters, (haven't seen any this year, on OUR property), and the 11 year old

from next door had followed me out there, and caught up with me.

Bear? Mountain lion? Raccoon? Rabid raccoon? Pit bull? Mugger?

May never happen. But the mountain lion did, it's possible. The bear is very possible...

a black bear killed a woman in Tennesee a few years ago, desperate for food just after hibernation.

She had been jogging on a track through the woods. Had a sub sandwich on her person.

I have a cell phone. That doesn't do any good when you live in the country, and you're a half hour from the house,

in the woods.

Well, anyways, my Wife and I are lookin at pistols. My friend has a Clint Eastwood long barrel .44 - it's a cannon. That's

laughable. The .357 mag is just as much. He said he fired the .44, and about sprained his wrist - he was using both hands.

He never had fired a pistol before. LOL. The general consensus is, that the 9 mm is about the perfect caliber. A .38 special,

had a bit more power...

So, at the sporting goods store, they had a nice Ruger 9mm semi auto for $300, used. And at the same price, a Smith and Wesson

9mm semi. But, While I really like the Ruger, the handle is very wide and long, doesn't fit my Wife's hand very well. But,

the safety lever is excellent.

Now, the S&W, wth? It doesn't really have a safety switch, but if you pull high on the trigger, it won't fire. And if you pull

too low, whatever, it won't fire. but pull the trigger at the nomal spot and it will.

I don't like that at all. If I some year have to actually shoot a mountain lion or something, why the freakin would I want to

worry about where my finger is on the silly trigger? I don't get it. Anybody?

The guy says that both guns above are a higher quality than the Taurus.

What's weird, is, the S&W, -brand new-, is only 278 bucks after a mail in 50 rebate.

So I ask the kid behind the counter, "why would I pay 300 for a used one, when I can buy the exact same gun new for

278?

He says the used price is an instant rebate, you don't have to mail it in, but it's the same price, and went to answer the phone.

So, my Wife and I look at each other, she shakes her head and grins, and we walk out.

I have to go to the other sporting goods store. They know what the heck they are talkin about.

I was watching a show about Alaskan game officers. They were floating down the Kenai River, and would stop

and check license of fishmen along shore. One had a .50 caliber pistol on the rock next to him. He used to carry a .357, until

he was fishing one day, and turned to see a brown bear walking towards him about 50 feet from him. then, he decided,

the .357 looked too small...

the officer said all the fisherman are well armed, for good reason. It's pretty much required for your safety.

So, I have more research to do.

If it's done raining, I think I'll head out back to the woods before dawn.

I've seen coyotes around our farm. In fact, I shot a groundhog and tossed it behind the greenhouse in the weeds...

and it was gone the next day.

9mm. Maybe .38, but 9mm ammo is less expensive.

Sad that this young lady didn't have a gun on her.

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

AP – This undated promotional photo released by LW Communications shows Taylor Mitchell, 19. Two coyotes attacked …

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Rob Gillies, Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern

Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring

her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday

when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and

died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the

United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because

the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources,

said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't

assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard

Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals,

apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition

when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell

was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an

unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud,

the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009

Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet,

compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz,

Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

I've seen coyotes around our farm. In fact, I shot a groundhog and tossed it behind the greenhouse in the weeds...

and it was gone the next day.

9mm. Maybe .38, but 9mm ammo is less expensive.

Sad that this young lady didn't have a gun on her.

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

AP – This undated promotional photo released by LW Communications shows Taylor Mitchell, 19. Two coyotes attacked …

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Rob Gillies, Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern

Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring

her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday

when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and

died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the

United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because

the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources,

said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't

assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard

Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals,

apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition

when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell

was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an

unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud,

the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009

Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet,

compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz,

Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

Never heard of Coyotes killing a human. Rarely do they go after fawns. Link? Wolve's don't usually bother people.

Get yourself a revolver for protection that way you dont have to go looking for spent shell casings :)

But if you anticpate a fire fight you will need to dump lead through the air with accuracy and the 9mm semi auto will work fine for this task. less recoil quiker time to readjust your aim so you can repeat your fire. most hand gun fights happen within 8 feet so you dont have to be all that accurate like to say being able to shoot a fly's ass out from underneath him from 50 yards with a pistol. if that is your task in hand then get a rifle.

Stay away from 380 you can buy the handgun cheap now but the ammo is expensive and hard to find since Obama came into office.

Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091029/ap_on_...a_coyote_attack

I would rarely ever use it, so I wouldn't worry about the cartidges, I would look for them and pick em up, though.

I was too busy over the summer to start my treasure finder hobby with my nice metal detector.

14 acres of woods should provide plenty of searching...especially around where there used to be an

old homestead cabin a hundred years ago...

Maybe I'll go out in the morning. Right now, I have a bunch of peppers in the dehydrator, and I am going to mix and bake

a bunch of stuffed bell peppers and freeze them.

I cooked up a big batch of navy beans, and added some sweet peppers, a semi-hot, chopped onion and a few dashes of

Smokin Joe's Hot Sauce. That's some fine food for freezing, too.

There's a gun show at the Summit County Fairgrounds this weekend. I think we'll go do some research.

Get yourself a revolver for protection that way you dont have to go looking for spent shell casings :)

But if you anticpate a fire fight you will need to dump lead through the air with accuracy and the 9mm semi auto will work fine for this task. less recoil quiker time to readjust your aim so you can repeat your fire. most hand gun fights happen within 8 feet so you dont have to be all that accurate like to say being able to shoot a fly's ass out from underneath him from 50 yards with a pistol. if that is your task in hand then get a rifle.

Stay away from 380 you can buy the handgun cheap now but the ammo is expensive and hard to find since Obama came into office.

I have a .357 mag revolver (6 inch barrel). If an intruder even looked at it, he would probably pass out from fear! I also have a 9mm semi auto. And one of my favorites is a 30 cal Winchester. I love that rifle.

GGG The .357 magnum looked like it could shoot an intruder through two walls.

I figure the .44 would go through several walls....

He had a little .38 special, but it looked like an antique, it was small, like in an old Dick Tracy movie.

I think we'll set on a 9mm.... maybe pick up a used one at the show.

I know at the sporting goods store, your gun isn't registed with the gov at the time of purchase...

but the purchase record stays permanently at the store.

Where the Obama gov could probably order that list turned over...

I have a .50 caliber slingshot, but it isn't very accurate..... :D

A rifle would be easier to have with me in the woods. LOL.

I'm not talkin grizzleys. Well, maybe mountain lion or black bear....

or maybe, someday, 500 wild boars from down south...

Guy at the store, (young guy, doesn't know his stuff), says

their store gets in a lot of used guns a bit closer to Christmas -

some folks trade them in/sell them because they have kids in the house...

or money is just tight...

So, we're checking around. I have a hunch I'd like to buy from

a private party this wsekend, so if worse comes to worse,

nobody in the gov will be ABLE to know I have it.

One of the guns I researched of my friends'... the company went out of business

in California in 2001. They were suing the gun manufacturers for every crime,

every freak twist of the law, possible, and the manufactures went out of business.

The company is now owned by a Texas company, where the mgf is done.

I may never use it, hopefully never. But, if I ever have to, it's there, that's all,

and just big enough to be effective.

If somebody things that's dumb, well, the game warden came out and we walked out property,

took two hours, great guy, and he said that's why HE carries mace and his gun. You just never know.

Research about your area, and check and see the frequency of black bear in your county or state.

Ya might be surprised.

Archived