THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleve Hts. High School Football Team

ATENEARS

I've fielded many phone calls on this subject, and have waited patiently for the court ruling from yesterday, but it has not yet been made public, I suppose.

If anyone has word on the court ruling, please post it here so I can relay the info to several awaiting parties.

For those not abreast of the situation, Cleveland Hts. was made to forfeit three games because paper work wasn't submitted on a transfer from Maple Hts., this has impacted the State Playoff Race across the board and weighs heavily on my Mentor Cardinals getting in by a slim chance, as Mentor needs help and plays Cleve Hts this Friday night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Heights appeals football forfeits in court today with Ohio High School Athletic Association; no ruling issued

Tim Warsinskey, The Plain Dealer, October 27, 2009 6:08 p.m.

Representatives for Cleveland Heights' football team were in court today with the Ohio High School Athletic Association seeking an injunction to overturn three forfeits.

The case was heard in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court by judge Carolyn B. Friedland, who has not issued a ruling yet.

The OHSAA, the state governing body for high school sports, ruled Oct. 12 that Cleveland Heights must forfeit victories against Maple Heights, Southview and John Adams after it determined the Tigers used an ineligible player, knocking Cleveland Heights out of the playoff picture. Cleveland Heights, now 4-5, lost an appeal with the OHSAA's Board of Directors last week.

The case centered on a player who transferred from Maple Heights to Cleveland Heights last spring. The unnamed player would have been eligible had Cleveland Heights submitted to the OHSAA paperwork documenting the player's change of residency and guardianship for approval by the OHSAA. Cleveland Heights officials said they had the paperwork on file and overlooked sending it to the OHSAA. They are arguing forfeits are too harsh a penalty for an administrative oversight.

Archived