THE BROWNS BOARD

Savage Rips Mangini

WebsterSlaughter

Plain Dealer Article

Former Cleveland Browns GM Phil Savage criticizes current Browns

By Mary Kay Cabot

October 28, 2009, 12:12PM

Savage Phil - casual mug.jpgPlain Dealer file Former Browns general manager Phil Savage was critical of the team's handling of the quarterback situation.BEREA, Ohio -- Former Browns general manager Phil Savage ripped the new Browns regime to his hometown newspaper today -- and could be in breach of his Browns contract.

Savage, now a radio color analyst for Alabama football, basically said the new duo of coach Eric Mangini and George Kokinis has ruined the quarterbacks and dismantled what Savage was building.

"You don't take a lot of solace in watching a place you leave go downhill further," Savage told the Mobile Press Register. "But they took what we did have going there and they just dismantled that even further. We left two quarterbacks behind that both seem ruined right now. They traded a lot of players out of there. I feel for the guys we brought in because they're good players and good people and they're stuck in a situation and can't get out for at least the time being."

Savage had four years remaining on his contract extension through 2012 when he was fired on Dec. 28, 2008. The Browns still owed him about $12 million at the time. Typically, teams prohibit former employers from criticizing organization that are still paying them.

An email to Browns owner Randy Lerner regarding Savage's remarks was not immediately returned.

Savage worked with Mangini and Kokinis as underlings in the Bill Belichick regime in the early 1990s.

I still have yet to read where Savage ripped anyone?...Imagine that..something getting blown up by the media..

It wasnt Savage's fault. Ive never felt like he did much wrong that he couldnt prevent, a.k.a romeo crennell's coaching style. Again, Randy Lerner does not know football

It wasnt Savage's fault. Ive never felt like he did much wrong that he couldnt prevent, a.k.a romeo crennell's coaching style. Again, Randy Lerner does not know football

besides tons of shitty drafts and overpaid QBs/FAs.....savage did no wrong.

I was actually laughing when I read the thread topic without even reading it....I was hoping for some eff yous in the article, but was disappointed.

Savage, now a radio color analyst for Alabama football, basically said the new duo of coach Eric Mangini and George Kokinis has ruined the quarterbacks and dismantled what Savage was building.

"You don't take a lot of solace in watching a place you leave go downhill further," Savage told the Mobile Press Register. "But they took what we did have going there and they just dismantled that even further. We left two quarterbacks behind that both seem ruined right now. They traded a lot of players out of there. I feel for the guys we brought in because they're good players and good people and they're stuck in a situation and can't get out for at least the time being."

Yeah Opie . . . you left us two more QBs in your legacy of Redman (3rd round), Boller (first round), Harris (6th round), Anderson (6th round), Dilfer (gave up 4th rounder), Dorsey (7th rounder), Frye (3rd rounder), Quinn (1st and 2nd rounder) evaluation incompetence. Forget that your coach didn't want to throw Quinn out there until he was out of options too. Yeah, Mangini ruined that great foundation that you left.

Damn him for clearing out the murals and Staph!

Anybody mention that the two picks Opie gave up on Quinn were used to select Felix Jones and Kevin Kolb?

And then there was the the "surest pick in the draft" (Braylon Edwards), that brilliant trade down one spot from Ngata (we picked up 6th round pick Babatunde Oshinowo for that trade down and it ultimately cost us a ridiculous free agent contract to Ted Washington, a third round pick and Leigh Bodden to almost bring us back up to even at the NT spot) to get the one-move-wonder, Wimbley.

Travis-freakin-Wilson ring a bell? Beau never did.

Opie traded up for both Beau Bell and Martin Rucker -- two guys that couldn't even make a talent-starved roster the year after they were drafted. We threw in an extra fifth round pick to trade up in the same round to snatch Bell and gave away our third rounder in 2009 to get Rucker. Are either on anybody's 54-man roster??

We have the worst secondary in the NFL because of the three guys he drafted. Moved up for Wright. Drafted Pool with the second pick in the second round and McDonald. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Opie's the reason this team is in the shitter. Not Mangini, not Crennell. The man was completely and utterly incompetent in the way he handled the football business and the non-football business of his position.

Yeah Opie . . . you left us two more QBs in your legacy of Redman (3rd round), Boller (first round), Harris (6th round), Anderson (6th round), Dilfer (gave up 4th rounder), Dorsey (7th rounder), Frye (3rd rounder), Quinn (1st and 2nd rounder) evaluation incompetence. Forget that your coach didn't want to throw Quinn out there until he was out of options too. Yeah, Mangini ruined that great foundation that you left.

Anybody mention that the two picks Opie gave up on Quinn were used to select Felix Jones and Kevin Kolb?

And then there was the the "surest pick in the draft" (Braylon Edwards), that brilliant trade down one spot from Ngata (we picked up 6th round pick Babatunde Oshinowo for that trade down and it ultimately cost us a ridiculous free agent contract to Ted Washington, a third round pick and Leigh Bodden to almost bring us back up to even at the NT spot) to get the one-move-wonder, Wimbley.

Travis-freakin-Wilson ring a bell?

How about trading up for both Bell and Rucker -- two guys that couldn't even make a talent-starved roster the year after they were drafted. We threw in an extra fifth round pick to trade up in the same round to snatch Bell and gave away our third rounder in 2009 to get Rucker. Are either on anybody's 54-man roster??

We have the worst secondary in the NFL because of the three guys he drafted. Moved up for Wright. Drafted Pool with the second pick in the second round and McDonald. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Opie's the reason this team is in the shitter. Not Mangini, not Crennell. The man was completely and utterly incompetent in the way he handled the football business and the non-football business of his position.

Great post, man ... I agree.

F'you Savage you little prick .... "here from my demoted analyst job, I was building a winner"

What a dick.

LMAO .... Just image what Savage would have done with 11 Draft picks:

Round #1: B oller

Round #1 & #2: Quinn

Round #3: Redman

Round #3: Frye

Round #4: Dilfer (gave up 4th rounder)

Round #6: Harris

Round #6: Anderson

Round #7: Dorsey

Nice swing Casey!

Savage made many terrible decisions and draft picks, but he also oversaw a team that won 10 games in 2007. With a competent head coach we probably would have won more games. Everyone who knows how to play football on this team was brought in by Savage. Mangini hasn't added a single key player to this point. Its to early to judge of course but at least Savage tried. Mangini is way worse.

IMHO, the absolute WORST thing Savage did was re-sign Anderson after he filed for free agency at the height of his value. I remember CELEBRATING when he filed, KNOWING someone would sign him & we would get picks for ridding ourselves of him, then I damn near CRIED when I heard the Browns signed him. That was STUPID!!!!

Mike

IMHO, the absolute WORST thing Savage did was re-sign Anderson after he filed for free agency at the height of his value. I remember CELEBRATING when he filed, KNOWING someone would sign him & we would get picks for ridding ourselves of him, then I damn near CRIED when I heard the Browns signed him. That was STUPID!!!!

Mike

I wholeheartedly agree with you. This was so dumb. Anderson is franchise wrecker. We wouldn't even be having a silly QB debate right now if didn't resign Anderson. Instead we are stuck with the leagues lowest rated passer.

Savage ignorantly drafted based on paper reports, video. He never took into consideration

the character, team orientedness, intelligence, etc. like Mangini does.

Savage and his 4th round lb that never played? Never drafted for the oline? He was Alfred E. Newman of the old

Mad Magazine with the Browns.

He wasted draft after draft with the Browns. Mangini already had a very nice draft to fix things up.

When you see any Browns player making dumb moves on the field or off the field, it's Savages' fault.

I think it's too early to speak positively of Mangini & Ko's first draft. Of their eight picks, only two could be considered positive contributors thus far.

Hopefully, that number will increase. But as of now, their draft doesn't look like anything special. The Bengals, Colts, Eagles, Jaguars, Vikings, Patriots, Packers, and Seahawks are all getting more out of their rookies.

Travis-freakin-Wilson ring a bell? Beau never did.

Opie traded up for both Beau Bell and Martin Rucker -- two guys that couldn't even make a talent-starved roster the year after they were drafted. We threw in an extra fifth round pick to trade up in the same round to snatch Bell and gave away our third rounder in 2009 to get Rucker. Are either on anybody's 54-man roster??

Great post Chip but you left out Glue Hands Hubbard.

Savage set this team back years with his big splash free agent and trade moves that amounted to a whole lot of nothing.

Butch Davis sent this team back more than anybody. I wish we would find some guys and stick with them. Every time we "clean house" its the same as starting over. I want to live to see another run deep in the playoffs or maybe even a S.B

Butch Davis sent this team back more than anybody. I wish we would find some guys and stick with them. Every time we "clean house" its the same as starting over. I want to live to see another run deep in the playoffs or maybe even a S.B

I don't necessarily agree with this. What few people realize is that Davis took a team that in his third year was in salary cap hell and turned it around, sacrificing his defense one year during the purge by starting 3 second-year, second day linebackers.

What the team lacked was top-end talent. But it had the money and draft picks to get that talent when Opie came in.

Case in point:

Denver went to the AFC championship with our defensive line. Was it because of those guys? No. But there were some serviceable pieces. Instead we traded them out for the Ted Washingtons of the world. Churn or worse. A second round pick for Corey Williams and a huge contract when you knew you were building a 3-4, really. Chase Pittman, Melida Purcell, Jason Fisk, Andrew Hoffman, the Babe. Yeah, we have Shaun Rogers, but it didn't rectify the mistake of trading out of the spot to trade Ngata (see below)

We had Garcia, Holcomb and McCown as our QBs. Maybe not the best group in the world, but Garcia's been a pro-bowl QB since and led the Eagles on a great run. I'd rate McCown as a better prospect than Frye and honestly would rather have him than Quinn or Anderson at this point. We've spent a first, second, third, fourth and seventh round draft pick to bring in Dilfer, Frye and Quinn and either lost another first and third rounder or way overspent on the miscalculation with Anderson. Worse than churn at the QB position.

We had Henry and Bodden at corners, Crocker and Jones at safeties. Opie ditched Crocker (starting at Cincy) and drafted Pool with what was a top second round draft pick. He did make a nice pick up with Russell, but didn't hold on to the guy. He signed Baxter (aka "Toast") for more money than Henry got, traded Bodden and a third rounder for Rogers (which he never would have had to do had he not traded out of the spot to take Ngata). His legacy is Eric Wright (who we traded up in the second round to get) and Brandon McDonald. I'd gladly hit the rewind button.

At receiver we had Andre Davis and Antonio Bryant when Davis left. Not a bad 2-3 receiver set. We had Winslow and Heiden at TE. Not a bad pair of receiving TEs. Opie used a #3 overall pick on the "safest pick in the draft" who gave us one good year and a dead-on Quincy Morgan impression. Except Morgan was a second round pick and didn't eat 1/3 of the cap space that Edwards did, and was a proficient kick returner. Travis Wilson, Steptoe, Hubbard. The ridiculous FA contract to Stallworth. The trade up for Rucker (giving up a high third rounder) for a guy who isn't even on a roster. JJ was a good FA pick-up . . . but then there was the Staph. Opie did nothing to improve the situation. Ultimately he left it worse than he found it with a strained club relationship with Winslow (see the Staph again and Opie's childish public comments). Give me a re-boot.

Admittedly, the LBing corps was weak when Opie came, but it was also weak when he left. The same Andre Davis, Bentley (who still plays) for DQ with a high second round pick. Wimbley with a high first round pick. Years of drafting for a 3-4 and the LBing corps was at best a little better than Opie found it, inheriting a club built for the 4-3. Williams, two picks for Beau Bell, Speigel, old Patriots. A lot of effort spent, little improvement.

The Oline was better, but only because of a #3 overall pick and some serious overpaying at the position. Steinbach paired with Thomas can't consistently get that push to earn a yard when we need it. For all his spending, Opie never did get the successor to Tucker who could keep the running game going. Hadnot has been a disappointment, Bentley was unfortunate. Faine has been a serviceable NFL center and even Fowler and Chambers have been adequate back-ups. Opie drafted Thomas and Sowells, that's it. An overpaid Schaeffer is gone. Considering all the $$ and resources he had, hard to say that Opie really did a job worthy of respect even here.

Sure, Davis missed early and often with his drafts, but seemed to have gotten it with his last one. He also made some tough decisions to put Opie and crew in a very nice position under the salary cap when he began.

Opie blew it. His plan was flawed and his evaluation skills sucked balls.

I don't necessarily agree with this. What few people realize is that Davis took a team that in his third year was in salary cap hell and turned it around, sacrificing his defense one year during the purge by starting 3 second-year, second day linebackers.

What the team lacked was top-end talent. But it had the money and draft picks to get that talent when Opie came in.

Case in point:

Denver went to the AFC championship with our defensive line. Was it because of those guys? No. But there were some serviceable pieces. Instead we traded them out for the Ted Washingtons of the world. Churn or worse. A second round pick for Corey Williams and a huge contract when you knew you were building a 3-4, really. Chase Pittman, Melida Purcell, Jason Fisk, Andrew Hoffman, the Babe. Yeah, we have Shaun Rogers, but it didn't rectify the mistake of trading out of the spot to trade Ngata (see below)

We had Garcia, Holcomb and McCown as our QBs. Maybe not the best group in the world, but Garcia's been a pro-bowl QB since and led the Eagles on a great run. I'd rate McCown as a better prospect than Frye and honestly would rather have him than Quinn or Anderson at this point. We've spent a first, second, third, fourth and seventh round draft pick to bring in Dilfer, Frye and Quinn and either lost another first and third rounder or way overspent on the miscalculation with Anderson. Worse than churn at the QB position.

We had Henry and Bodden at corners, Crocker and Jones at safeties. Opie ditched Crocker (starting at Cincy) and drafted Pool with what was a top second round draft pick. He did make a nice pick up with Russell, but didn't hold on to the guy. He signed Baxter (aka "Toast") for more money than Henry got, traded Bodden and a third rounder for Rogers (which he never would have had to do had he not traded out of the spot to take Ngata). His legacy is Eric Wright (who we traded up in the second round to get) and Brandon McDonald. I'd gladly hit the rewind button.

At receiver we had Andre Davis and Antonio Bryant when Davis left. Not a bad 2-3 receiver set. We had Winslow and Heiden at TE. Not a bad pair of receiving TEs. Opie used a #3 overall pick on the "safest pick in the draft" who gave us one good year and a dead-on Quincy Morgan impression. Except Morgan was a second round pick and didn't eat 1/3 of the cap space that Edwards did, and was a proficient kick returner. Travis Wilson, Steptoe, Hubbard. The ridiculous FA contract to Stallworth. The trade up for Rucker (giving up a high third rounder) for a guy who isn't even on a roster. JJ was a good FA pick-up . . . but then there was the Staph. Opie did nothing to improve the situation. Ultimately he left it worse than he found it with a strained club relationship with Winslow (see the Staph again and Opie's childish public comments). Give me a re-boot.

Admittedly, the LBing corps was weak when Opie came, but it was also weak when he left. The same Andre Davis, Bentley (who still plays) for DQ with a high second round pick. Wimbley with a high first round pick. Years of drafting for a 3-4 and the LBing corps was at best a little better than Opie found it, inheriting a club built for the 4-3. Williams, two picks for Beau Bell, Speigel, old Patriots. A lot of effort spent, little improvement.

The Oline was better, but only because of a #3 overall pick and some serious overpaying at the position. Steinbach paired with Thomas can't consistently get that push to earn a yard when we need it. For all his spending, Opie never did get the successor to Tucker who could keep the running game going. Hadnot has been a disappointment, Bentley was unfortunate. Faine has been a serviceable NFL center and even Fowler and Chambers have been adequate back-ups. Opie drafted Thomas and Sowells, that's it. An overpaid Schaeffer is gone. Considering all the $$ and resources he had, hard to say that Opie really did a job worthy of respect even here.

Sure, Davis missed early and often with his drafts, but seemed to have gotten it with his last one. He also made some tough decisions to put Opie and crew in a very nice position under the salary cap when he began.

Opie blew it. His plan was flawed and his evaluation skills sucked balls.

Beating the dead horse yes..but well layed out...thanks for the detailed post!

Phil Savage was an incompetent baffoon of the highest order WHEN HE WAS HERE. He's talking about what he built in Cleveland..HAHAHAHA. Mangini cut or released "26 Savage Guys" and currently 2 are on an NFL roster and 24 are not in the league. What the freak is this moron talking ABOUT..This roster needed rebuilding from A to Z, unfortunatly thats not possible in 1 year in the NFL, Mangini took about as big as a chunk as you possibly could take, brought in some depth from NY and cleared a s**tload of cap space for some free agency runs and the draft in 2010. Mangini and Kokinis are working smart and not panicking..neither should we.

This "Instant Success" society we now live in is BS..Its like building a new house..you want built quick and sloppy or thought out and well designed without bankrupting you..Are the Browns struggling yes they are, but I am seeing a more discipline team who just needs more talent..Give this duo a chance to build something special and leave the instant success mentality were it belongs..in the trash

This "Instant Success" society we now live in is BS..Its like building a new house..you want built quick and sloppy or thought out and well designed without bankrupting you..Are the Browns struggling yes they are, but I am seeing a more discipline team who just needs more talent..Give this duo a chance to build something special and leave the instant success mentality were it belongs..in the trash

More disciplined team? That is kind of funny.

You do need the talent now that Mangini traded some of the better talent on your team away and looks to be creating more problems with one of your best players Cribbs.

I have to laugh at the "give this dou a chance to build something" after he has completely tore apart a team and made it worse. You talk about more time but he has had since pre-season to show what he can do and all he did was cause problems. I don't see the discipline you speak of, I see a team that had decent talent on the offensive side of the ball turned into garbage.

Savage said exactly what I have been saying since the begining of the season. Mangini basically let his ego get in the way and made some horrid decisions. The biggest being that he tore any team chemistry that was there apart and never rebuilt it.

As much as this hurts me to say I have to agree with you. UGH I feel so dirty now.

Savage said exactly what I have been saying since the begining of the season. Mangini basically let his ego get in the way and made some horrid decisions. The biggest being that he tore any team chemistry that was there apart and never rebuilt it.

Coming from an uneducated TROLL thats laughable

More disciplined team? That is kind of funny.

You do need the talent now that Mangini traded some of the better talent on your team away and looks to be creating more problems with one of your best players Cribbs.

I have to laugh at the "give this dou a chance to build something" after he has completely tore apart a team and made it worse. You talk about more time but he has had since pre-season to show what he can do and all he did was cause problems. I don't see the discipline you speak of, I see a team that had decent talent on the offensive side of the ball turned into garbage.

Do you think Cowher would have kept two players that didn't want to be in pitt? We had decent talent on O but it consisted of two players that couldn't wait to leave and one of them will probably get a disabled parking ticket when his career is over (although I hope not). You can't keep them on the team if you want to accomplish anything. Other than that nobody has been dismantled.

Cribbs? Mangini has gone on and on about how he loves cribbs but can't set a precedent of redoing deals during the middle of the year. Cribbs will get his

I will give Savage credit. He is the one that got Cribbs am I right? Im pretty sure

Yeah, he brought in Cribbs as an undrafted free agent. Of course, that means that anyone who wanted to use a 7th round draft pick on him could have kept him from becoming a Brown. Savage used his late round picks on gotta-have guys like David McMillan, Nick Speegle, Jon Dunn and Andrew Hoffman. He also had a bunch of former Akron and Kent players as training camp invitees, picked up Josh Harris from the Ravens practice squad, and drafted Charlie Frye. He seemed to be going with a local kid theme and hit on Cribbs.

Opie also selected kick returner/too-small cornerback Antonio Perkins in the 4th round that year (just ahead of Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber and several picks in front of Kerry Rhodes and Darren Sproles). So, I doubt that he envisioned Cribbs as a kick return star at signing.

Here's a great post from cursedclevleand.com about Opie's draft prowess. It doesn't even touch on his free agency blunders. A little to generous (and fawningly gay) over the Edwards and Quinn picks and way too harsh on Alex Hall, but otherwise pretty spot on:

CLEVELAND, OH – This might sting a little browns fans, but it’s necessary to take a look back at the last four years and what could have been. The following is an in-depth look at this talent evaluating guru who has set us back many years with his horrific selections. Please settle in, this is long winded, opinionated, and full of humorless jokes.

2005 Draft

Round 1: B+

Pick # 3 – Braylon Edwards – Last year was a disappointing year for Edwards but we cannot forget the pro bowl year he had in 2007. If he has another year like the last I suppose we can think about cutting ties with him. I’ll give him a pass on this year because he has the talent, desire, and work ethic the browns need. Here at Cursed Cleveland we also have a thing for handsome players that look good in their uniform, and let’s be honest, it doesn’t get much better than this guy in that department.

What could have been that round: Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rodgers, Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jammal Brown, Roddy White, and Logan Mankins.

Round 2: D+

Pick 34 – Brodney Pool – Was over-hyped in college and has shown he is a below average safety in the NFL. He can’t tackle, he can’t cover anyone…and he’s not intimidating. Also, like Billy Bob, he is one concussion away from never playing football again.

What could have been – Michael Roos, Lofa Tatupu, Nick Collins, Justin Miller, Vincent Jackson, and Darrent Williams.

Round 3: F

Pick # 67 – Charlie Frye – Most Browns fanatics were excited with this one…however I couldn’t have hated this pick anymore.. He had a weak arm, terrible facial hair, and the IQ of Radio. He was ambidextrous, which allows him to lob 15 yard out passes into unsuspecting defender’s arms with both hands.

What could have been: Justin Tuck, Ellis Hobbs, Darryl Blackstock, Domonique Foxworth.

Round 4: F

Pick # 103 Antonio Perkins – Savage believed this midget would help out the secondary, and boost our return game. He went ahead and played in one game in 2005. In 2008, it wasn’t Cleveland that realized he couldn’t play professionally, it was instead the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts.

What could have been: Marion Barber, Jerome Mathis, Brandon Jacobs, Kerry Rhodes, and Darren Sproles

Round 5 – D-

Pick # 139 – David McMillan – He leads our team in sacks every year in the preseason against the other bums in the NFL. Looks terrible in his uniform, and if you’re not actually playing – this is unacceptable. For God’s sake learn to accessorize.

What could have been :Trent Cole, Dan Orlovsky

Round 6 – F

Pick # 176 Nick Speegle – Terrible name, terrible college, terrible player. Not gonna waste my time writing about this xxxx.

Pick # 203 Andrew Hoffman – The Terrorizing Defensive tackle from Virginia.

What could have been: Michael Montgomery, Bo Scaife, Chros Kemoeatu.

Round 7 – F

Pick # 217 Jon Dunn – He was dunn with the Browns after this year.

What could have been: Jeremiah Ratliff, Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Undrafted, – Savage did snag our Pro Bowler return man and ugliest player on the team Joshua Cribbs. We also snagged Lance Moore but was cut because we they thought he wasn’t good enough. Andre Davis, Dennis Northcut, Antonio Bryant, and Braylon Edwards were our WR’s that year.

2006 Draft

Round one – D+

Pick # 13 – Kamerion Wimbley – We traded down with Baltimore because they wanted Haloti Ngata, and we wanted this tweener from Florida State. The Browns had their chance to nab a Samoan, which every successful NFL organization has, but decided to go with Wimbley who still hasn’t learned how to do anything other than a speed rush. It must be tough to gameplan for a guy with one move and OK speed.

What could have been : Haloti Ngata, Brodrick Bunkley, Tye Hill, Antonio Cromartie, Laurence Maroney, Davin Joseph, Santonio Holmes, DeAngelo Williams, Nick Mangold, Joseph Addai, and Mathias Kiwanuka. Thanks Phil!!!

Round 2 – B-

Pick # 34 D’Qwell Jackson – Don’t have many bad things to say about this pick, has been our best LB for the past couple years. Not hard to accomplish with the xxxxing losers we have at this position. Love his intensity and shit talking, which are also vital things when we determine which players we like. There were some other studs taken this round but this one doesn’t sting as much.

What could have been: Marcus McNeill, Greg Jennings, Devin Hester, Richard Marshall, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jeremy Trueblood, Taitusi Lutui, and LenDale White.

Round 3 – F

Pick # 78 Travis Wilson – Was a holdout during training camp, and has hardly seen the field other than preseason action. He made one of the best preseason catches of all time against the Lions but wasn’t enough to let this piece of shit play. He was released this season.

What could have been: Jerious Norwood, Maurice Stovall,

Round 4 – F

Pick # 110 Leon Williams – Usually cant go wrong with drafting players from the U, however the browns managed to snag a career special teams linebacker. He rocks a visor but isn’t enough to warrant this stiff.

Pick # 113 Isaac Sowells – This fatass was awful at Indiana but Savage decided to go against the grain and snag Sowells who would have a hard time blocking Lucas rushing off the edge.

What could have been: Brandon Marshall, Leon Washington, Stephan Gostkowski, Elvis Dumervil, Rob Sims, Willie Colon

Round 4 – C-

Pick # 145 Jerome Harrison – Harrison averaged 8 yards per touch last year, but wasn’t given many opportunities. He has shown signs of being a solid backup but needs to change his number and facemask if he wants to get more praise from us.

Pick # 152 DeMario Minter – Gone after one year…terrible.

What could have been: Dawan Landry, Omar Gaither

Round 6 – D

Pick # 180 Lawrence Vickers – Is a solid fullback that can also handle the rock. Like D’Qwell, he loves to talk shit and has shown decent celebrations after his 2 yard runs, and 3 yard grass routes.

Pick # 181 Babatunde Oshinowo – was put on the practice squad then cut.

What could have been: Antoine Bethea, Mike Hass, and Sam Koch.

Round 7 – F

Pick # 222 Justin Hamilton – Cut from team after the season.

What could have been – Marques Colston, and Cortland Finnegan

2007 NFL Draft

Round 1 – A

Pick # 3 Joe Thomas – I wanted Adrian Peterson but this was the safe pick and just what the Browns needed. Thomas is one of the best tackles in the NFL and will be for years to come. He loves his chewing tobacco and so do we… just another reason we love Joe Thomas.

Pick # 22 Brady Quinn – Its hard to look at Brady and not smile. His football smarts and boyish good looks has Cursed Cleveland excited for next year. He is built like a Greek God and I had to question my own sexuality seeing him at the combine with his shirt off. Brady edged out Braylon and Kellen for the best looking player on a recent CursedCleveland.com writers pole. Savage gave up a lot in order to get Quinn and unfortunately we’re still uncertain if he will the QB of the future.

Notables taken after Quinn – Jon Beason, Joe Staley, Ben Grubbs, and Anthony Gonzalez. Player taken with picks given for Quinn, Kevin Kolb, Felix Jones.

Round 2 – C

Pick # 53 Eric Wright – Savage gave up some picks to move back into the second to draft Wright. Easy E received some bad reviews by commentators from his off the field troubles at USC. I cannot be mad at someone for having over 500 date rape pills found in his dorm room. Who hasn’t thought about dropping a couple of pills to ensure a piece of ass that’s way out of your league? It was never proven that he used them on anyone but im sure he helped a few losers in the USC band to get laid. He hasn’t shown that he is a lock down corner by any means but played very well last year.

Notables taken after Wright in round 2 until our next pick in round 5 – Ryan Kalil, Le’Ron McClain, and Clint Session

Round 5 – D+

Pick # 140 Brandon McDonald – I never heard of McDonald before we drafted him but this guy was a decent pick late in the draft. He was benched after missing a tackles and getting burnt in the middle of the season. His inconsistant play is a concern, but he does show signs that he can make big plays at times.

What could have been: Steve Breaston, Kevin Boss, and Nick Folk

Round 6 – F

Pick # 200 Melia Purcell – This was clearly an attempt by Savage to jump on the Somoan bandwagon a few years too late. We still need one but struck out with this bum. We should have seen if Big Manu Manu the Slender from unnecessary roughness was available.

What could have been: Mason Crosby, and Doug Datish

Round 7 – F

Pick # 213 Chase Pittman – Was a General Studies Major from LSU, and is terrible football player. He was waived in August of 2008.

What could have been:Tyler Thigpen, Ahmad Bradshaw. Brandon Siler.

Undrafted – Pierre Thomas, Melvin Bulitt, and Selvin Young

2008 NFL Draft

Round 1 – 3 No pick because of the Brady Quinn/Corey Williams/Shaun Rogers moves.

- When Rogers is on the field he dominates, and is by far our best defensive player. Although that’s like saying he is the charasmatic Autistic child in his class. Corey Williams wasn’t worth a 6th round pick they way he played last year. As coach Bud Kilmer would say, “Your fat, dumb, too slow, and your xxxxing up my universe.”

Round 4 – D-

Pick # 104 Beau Bell – Had a solid year on special teams after his injury racking up one solo tackle. If he couldn’t beat out our LB’s when he returned we shouldn’t expect much in the future.

Pick # 111 Martin Rucker – Was injured early and didn’t show us much after his return.

What could have been: Tashard Choice, Tim Hightower

Round 6 – F

Pick # 191 Paul Hubbard – Made a great one handed catch in the preseason followed by an amazing dance. We haven’t seen Hubbard since.

Nobody worth mentioning.

Round 7 – F

Pick # 231 – Alex Hall – Wasn’t able to beat out Willie McGinnest….I’m finished with this guy.

Archived