THE BROWNS BOARD

NEW HEAD COACH

Sez.EJ

As much as I have complained about the constant revovling door of coaches and GM's being the reason for our continued failures. I may be of a mind the best thing to do is to axe mangini during the bye week and move on. Let Ryan have the team as interim and begin interviewing right now and get a jump on the other clubs that will fire coaches this year. I guess I have resigned myself than Mangini is as bad a head coach as DA is at QB.

There are a goodly number of quality coaches out there right now. some better than others.. I am not sure who would even want to come here in midseason with this train wreck.. HOWEVER, 11 draft picks next year and a good salary cap situation may tempt one of the good coaches out there right now. Certainly after the season is over

I will again say I hate the thought of starting over again..but right now ....we are less than no where...

WHO IS OUT THERE?

Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher, Shotenabeer, Gruden, Dungy, Mariuchi, Herm E, Denny G. B. Billick, M Martz, C Gailey, Jimmy Johnson, Capers, Sherman. I am not saying all these are guys we want.. Some we may not even want to consider..Some may not even want to coach in the nfl anymore..but you never know....just throwing the names out of available guys that come to mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Bernie's part of the hiring process, expect him to lobby for his buddy Jason Garrett.

And I think it's a realistic option: with all of our recent suckage, it'd be hard to lure a big name to come here. If you go back and read Peter King's article about the Mangini hiring, you get the sense that Lerner didn't think he could get Pioli. After this abortion of a season, does anyone really think we can get Cowher?

Garrett was supposed to be the coach-in-waiting in Dallas, but a mediocre '08 damaged his rep a little bit. Jerry Jones reportedly wants to bring Shanny to Big D, which means Garrett will be looking to jump ship, preferably to a head coaching job.

If paired with a veteran DC, Garrett might be a good hire. The remaining question would be who runs the front office.

I think we need to look more at the OC than the HC. Bringing in another guy like Garret ain't gonna help if they don't have a real OC. The defense should be playing for the DC, it's his job to motivate, same with the OC, it's his job to motivate the offense.

Our special teams coordinator is considered the best in the business, and we are getting results.

The year the Bears won the Super Bowl, the defense carried Buddy Ryan off the field. They played for him not for Ditka.

Our Head Coach's job is to be responsible for his coordinators and their results.

If Bernie's part of the hiring process, expect him to lobby for his buddy Jason Garrett.

And I think it's a realistic option: with all of our recent suckage, it'd be hard to lure a big name to come here. If you go back and read Peter King's article about the Mangini hiring, you get the sense that Lerner didn't think he could get Pioli. After this abortion of a season, does anyone really think we can get Cowher?

Garrett was supposed to be the coach-in-waiting in Dallas, but a mediocre '08 damaged his rep a little bit. Jerry Jones reportedly wants to bring Shanny to Big D, which means Garrett will be looking to jump ship, preferably to a head coaching job.

If paired with a veteran DC, Garrett might be a good hire. The remaining question would be who runs the front office.

Garrett is a local guy too I believe (Willoughby?). Didn't he come close to getting a Head job a few years back and then ran scared from it though? I don't think we need a wet noodle here and one really wet behind the ears.

Garrett is a local guy too I believe (Willoughby?). Didn't he come close to getting a Head job a few years back and then ran scared from it though? I don't think we need a wet noodle here and one really wet behind the ears.

He was under consideration for the Ravens' head coaching job, but Jerry Jones offered him more money to stay and be the heir apparent in Dallas. He's basically being paid like a head coach right now, and he must have thought he'd displace Bum's Son sometime in the next few years.

As for the experience issue: yeah, it'd be great to have a second(or third)-time coach, but not at the expense of bringing in another Mangini.

He was under consideration for the Ravens' head coaching job, but Jerry Jones offered him more money to stay and be the heir apparent in Dallas. He's basically being paid like a head coach right now, and he must have thought he'd displace Bum's Son sometime in the next few years.

As for the experience issue: yeah, it'd be great to have a second(or third)-time coach, but not at the expense of bringing in another Mangini.

The way Wade Phillips is coaching, he will probably be their new head coach in a few years. That team will never go far in the playoffs the way they are playing now. They have the talent of the Saints but the guidance of the Browns. Eh eh? :rolleyes:

The way Wade Phillips is coaching, he will probably be their new head coach in a few years. That team will never go far in the playoffs the way they are playing now. They have the talent of the Saints but the guidance of the Browns. Eh eh? :rolleyes:

See, the difference is that Jerry Jones absolutely loves Mike Shannahan. When he made those promises to Garrett, he had no idea that Shanny was going to get fired in Denver.

Even if Dallas makes the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones bring in Shannahan. Garrett would then be on the outs.

Ahh ... (I looked it up) Jason Garrett went to prep school at University School in Hunting Valley, Ohio, and was a letterman in football, basketball, and baseball. In football, as a senior, he won All-League honors as both a quarterback and safety. Jason Garrett graduated from University School in 1984. Garrett attended grade school at Saint Ann's which is located in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

I believe I was thinking about a possible match for him in Denver as a possible replacement for Mike Shanahan. I thought I remember him being close to landing a head coaching job, but then hopped a plane and ran from the committment.

My brother is a coach at University School ... great school, big bucks needed though.

Keep in mind lerner is doing the hiring and no good coach would even consider subjecting themselves to an organization in dire ruins from the top down...i think lerner would have a hard time getting ryan to stay honestly...

Remember $ Talks!

I think making any move now would be foolhardy and would make Randy Lerner look stupider than he already looks, and that my friends, is pretty stupid right now.

I agree, I'd stay on course with a three year plan, but re-evaulate after next season again. Give the guy his draft picks that he set up.

It's like people hating Belichicks trade down for OSU Linebacker Craig Powel ... not waiting to see that the trade down landed Ogden & Ray Lewis the following year and without those two big fella's Ravens don't reach nor win no stickin super bowl.

I agree, I'd stay on course with a three year plan, but re-evaulate after next season again. Give the guy his draft picks that he set up.

It's like people hating Belichicks trade down for OSU Linebacker Craig Powel ... not waiting to see that the trade down landed Ogden & Ray Lewis the following year and without those two big fella's Ravens don't reach nor win no stickin super bowl.

Agreed while Powell was awful its all about cashing in on teh draft picks next year ..as i posted elewhere if this next draft gets screwed so goes the next 3 or 4 years as the right amount of cap has been cleared and the picks will be high enough they should be able to get impact players in rounds 1 2 and 3...then maybe a RT in 4

I think making any move now would be foolhardy and would make Randy Lerner look stupider than he already looks, and that my friends, is pretty stupid right now.

I understand and formerly was of a mind we need to give mangini at least 4 years.. but I guess when he pulled quinn after 10 quarters .. I stopped seeing the "plan" .. It is better for Learner to admit the mistake now and move on then to continue this nonsense. I think he will look dumber not admitting the mistake in the long run.

DA is not a plan.. I won't even post what I really think it is..

We need a hard-ass non-nonsense defensive-minded young aggressive coach with prior head coaching experience.

Yes, I just described Eric Mangini.

We hired him for a reason ... let him do his thing.

He's not responisble for the past ten years, just the past seven games.

The same people that cry that six games is not enough to judge a quarterback want to replace the coach after seven games.

You can judge a QB in six games. But a Head Coach needs a full year just to implement his system. To think about replacing him now is ludicrous.

Zombo

We need a hard-ass non-nonsense defensive-minded young aggressive coach with prior head coaching experience.

Yes, I just described Eric Mangini.

We hired him for a reason ... let him do his thing.

He's not responisble for the past ten years, just the past seven games.

The same people that cry that six games is not enough to judge a quarterback want to replace the coach after seven games.

You can judge a QB in six games. But a Head Coach needs a full year just to implement his system. To think about replacing him now is ludicrous.

Zombo

hey..some Intelligence has emerged from the scrum!!! Mr. Zombo you are correct

Mangini inherited a team with almost zero talent and not a lot of options to improve it. These problems are not (entirely) his fault. Give him 3 years and see where he takes the team; we're not going to compete in our division overnight.

Ahh ... (I looked it up) Jason Garrett went to prep school at University School in Hunting Valley, Ohio, and was a letterman in football, basketball, and baseball. In football, as a senior, he won All-League honors as both a quarterback and safety. Jason Garrett graduated from University School in 1984. Garrett attended grade school at Saint Ann's which is located in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

I believe I was thinking about a possible match for him in Denver as a possible replacement for Mike Shanahan. I thought I remember him being close to landing a head coaching job, but then hopped a plane and ran from the committment.

My brother is a coach at University School ... great school, big bucks needed though.

Most of the kids who go there are children of Doctors, lawyers and well to do business people.

Archived