THE BROWNS BOARD

New position for Cribbs?

c19tun23

In my opinion, what Cribbs needs to do is make the move to running back. It sounds strange, but when you look at the big picture it makes sense. First, as a wide receiver, Cribbs is garbage. His hands are suspect and he runs horrible routes. Secondly, with his combination of size (6-1,217.. the size of Adrian Peterson), speed, and how he runs, it makes sense. I am so tired of seeing slow ass Jamall Lewis tip toeing his way out of the backfield for 2 yard gains. I swear, I have never seen a player take so many steps to go absolutley nowhere. Seriously, who takes 56 steps to run for 2 yards on a HB Dive. I want a running back who will just hit the hole and go. Finally, the reason it makes sense to me is that Cribbs is our most dangerous weapon and he needs to touch the ball about 20 times a game. The WildDawg is a nice wrinkle, but it is way to predictable. Everyone knows that when we line up with Cribbs taking the snap he is going to run (with the exception of 1 pass against the Steelers). Using Cribbs as a running back gives us a solid break away threat at the position, which might just open up a couple more passing lanes.

Just my opinion and wishful thinking

I feel like that would at least boost his morale, especially after he thinks the Cleveland fans were cheering for the Packers

What a knucklehead. How can he even think that?

If Josh is serious about being a receiver then he needs to spend the off season with someone like Brian Brennan. He needs time to learn nothing but how to play the wide receiver position.

Otherwise using him as a third down back or possibly safety would be a good idea.

If Josh is serious about being a receiver then he needs to spend the off season with someone like Brian Brennan. He needs time to learn nothing but how to play the wide receiver position.

Otherwise using him as a third down back or possibly safety would be a good idea.

I've said this all along - if we want Josh in MORE open fields then he needs to be practicing his trade as a WR in the slot on guys that won't be able to hang with him. BEFORE anyone trashes this idea - he's our ONLY scoring threat since we're opting to park Harrison for a clunker at RB.

IMO, you can't make a consistent WR out of a player you are unwillign to play as a WR with any degree of consistenncy. You get out pof that what you put into it.

Try to remember the first time you EVER saw Cribbs attempting to field a punt when Northcutt was injured. Wasn't it pretty much a disaster? Fortunately for us Ted Daisher said "I can COACH a player that WANTS it bad enough to work as diligently as Cribbs." Next thing we know, Cribbs became not only the best kick off returner but ALOS an elite punt returner. Point is he worked at it just 1 season after Phil Savage said we didn't have anyone that could fill Northcutt's shoes in the return game.

When Devon Hester came out of college - he was basically a man in search of a position because the knock on him was he had "stone hands" so he was prolly only always going to be a return man. He's become Cutler's favorite target and that doesn't happen if they end the project because return man turned pas receiver didn't have enough receivign reps in him just yet to be called consistent.

I'd rather see Cribbs getting the ball in open fields than taking snaps from center and running right or left to be honest. I say play Harrison at RB, Cribbs in the slot , MoMass out Wide and rotate Furrey and Robiskie at the other WR position. Last year, it seamed like Stucky caught alot of TD passes from Favre so I hope we don't give up on him too soon. We should keep him in the mix. I'm kind of disappointed we never brought in a 1 year stop gap guy like Marvin Harrison. Too late now; but he had GREAT hands, ran steller routes and had the experience to identify and beat a blitz.

- Tom F.

This topic of Cribbs switching postions is getting so tired and lame. This must bet the 50th post on this topic.. .it's been 4 years and he cannot even learn how to play wr.WHY... He's not a WR.. . he is not a rb, he is not a safety, he is not a cb..he IS a kick and punt returner .

.. HE IS NOT A RUNNING BACK and never will be.. You don't take a 5th year player and turn him into a runningback.... if they wanted him at RB they would have done it 4 years ago.. enough of this stupidity.. It's pathetic that the most popular player on our team returns kicks.. that's how sad we are. I love cribbs he's great to watch..AS A KICK RETURNER..

When Devon Hester came out of college - he was basically a man in search of a position because the knock on him was he had "stone hands" so he was prolly only always going to be a return man.

- Tom F.

Hester was moved from WR his freshman year of college to DB for this reason.

Heck, Cribbs never returned kicks or covered kicks in college. He did however run the ball a hell of a lot. 4,000 yards worth.

Anyone that thinks the idea of Cribbs becoming an accomplished third down back is far-fetched should look at the guy both he and Hester are chasing for the mantle of best kick returner ever -- Brian Mitchell.

Mitchell was a college QB, a punt return God in the NFL and beginning his fourth year in the NFL his team started using him as a third down back. For a number of years he averaged 200-300 yards rushing and 300-400 yards receiving in the role AND could pick up a blitz. Averaged about 6 yards a carry and 10 yards a catch. Same size, same skill set as Cribbs -- although not quite as accomplished as a runner in college.

I'd love to seem him get some reps in the backfield.

My stupid two cents worth..........

Cribbs strength seems to be when he is facing the action (primarily kick-offs, punt receptions, etc). My belief is that it is one reason why he was ineffective as a WR, since he needs to look back for the ball. He just didn't look comfortable. It might also be a reason why the coaches like him in the WildDawg, as he is facing the action.

It is because of this strength (again- my observation only) that i was hoping to see him get a look at safety. We know the guy can tackle. Oh well.....

My stupid two cents worth..........

Cribbs strength seems to be when he is facing the action (primarily kick-offs, punt receptions, etc). My belief is that it is one reason why he was ineffective as a WR, since he needs to look back for the ball. He just didn't look comfortable. It might also be a reason why the coaches like him in the WildDawg, as he is facing the action.

It is because of this strength (again- my observation only) that i was hoping to see him get a look at safety. We know the guy can tackle. Oh well.....

Good point Ed.

This topic of Cribbs switching postions is getting so tired and lame. This must bet the 50th post on this topic.. .it's been 4 years and he cannot even learn how to play wr.WHY... He's not a WR.. . he is not a rb, he is not a safety, he is not a cb..he IS a kick and punt returner .

.. HE IS NOT A RUNNING BACK and never will be.. You don't take a 5th year player and turn him into a runningback.... if they wanted him at RB they would have done it 4 years ago.. enough of this stupidity.. It's pathetic that the most popular player on our team returns kicks.. that's how sad we are. I love cribbs he's great to watch..AS A KICK RETURNER..

4000 yds at kent were walking............?

He is an african american guy with a drug conviction in college nobody wanted to draft because of it.

Bet you this cribbs or mangina wont be here in 2 years. Where are the so called experts that wouldnt let him compete against frye.........(rac and phil)

Moving Cribbs to any new position is the dumbest thing your coach could do yet. This kid is special in the position he plays. The more you put him in positions like RB the more chance he has of a serious injury. Why put one of your best players in that position when there is no chance of going to the playoffs this year and perhaps injuring him where he can't even play on ST? Mangini seems like he is both tweedle dee and tweedle dumb all rolled together.

In my opinion, what Cribbs needs to do is make the move to running back. It sounds strange, but when you look at the big picture it makes sense. First, as a wide receiver, Cribbs is garbage. His hands are suspect and he runs horrible routes. Secondly, with his combination of size (6-1,217.. the size of Adrian Peterson), speed, and how he runs, it makes sense. I am so tired of seeing slow ass Jamall Lewis tip toeing his way out of the backfield for 2 yard gains. I swear, I have never seen a player take so many steps to go absolutley nowhere. Seriously, who takes 56 steps to run for 2 yards on a HB Dive. I want a running back who will just hit the hole and go. Finally, the reason it makes sense to me is that Cribbs is our most dangerous weapon and he needs to touch the ball about 20 times a game. The WildDawg is a nice wrinkle, but it is way to predictable. Everyone knows that when we line up with Cribbs taking the snap he is going to run (with the exception of 1 pass against the Steelers). Using Cribbs as a running back gives us a solid break away threat at the position, which might just open up a couple more passing lanes.

Just my opinion and wishful thinking

I completely agree, I don't understand how people are so close minded to it when Cribbs has been an excellent runner his whole career, we are 1-6, and you think "Cribbs just isnt a RB WR or any other position that isnt KR", you honestly think he's only capable of playing KR?

the difference between him playing WR and him playing KR is the fact that he's running and cutting when he's returning, and in WR he's running only to catch a ball, catching is not his strong point, RUNNING is.

Cribbs missed a huge opportunity to not recognize that the Bears didn't shift anyone over to cover DA out wide. He was alone on the right side of the field with no one near him while Cribbs lined up in the WildDawg.

Dumb playing ... are we just running blind plays out of that or can we look for a mis-match and expose it?

Cribbs missed a huge opportunity to not recognize that the Bears didn't shift anyone over to cover DA out wide. He was alone on the right side of the field with no one near him while Cribbs lined up in the WildDawg.

Dumb playing ... are we just running blind plays out of that or can we look for a mis-match and expose it?

Makes you wonder if Anderson was blowing catches like that in practice so Cribbs didnt even try

Archived