THE BROWNS BOARD

Scouting Skelton

DestinFunk

The Browns are sending Director of College Scouting Pat Roberts, as well as area scout Rich Long to observe the Holy Cross, Fordham game on Saturday. THE OBR has reported that the Browns are extremely high on Fordham QB John Skelton and want to get a first hand look at the 6-foot-5, 256-pounder. Skelton is currently the 7th rated QB in Scout.com’s 2010 NFL Draft Rankings.

John Skelton

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 258

Class: Senior

Hometown: El Paso, Texas

Statistics:

2006: [9 Games] 94.88 QB Rat, 960 Yards, 167 Attempts, 44.3 CMP%, 6 TD, 8 INT, 5.74 YPA

2007: [12 Games] 127.73 QB Rat, 2,650 Yards, 383 Attempts, 56.3 CMP%, 22 TD, 11 INT, 6.92 YPA

2008: [11 Games] 129.66 QB Rat, 2,605 Yards, 372 Attempts, 61.3 CMP%, 15 TD, 7 INT, 7.00 YPA

2009: [2 Games] 133.76 QB Rat, 685 Yards, 89 Attempts, 59.6 CMP%, 5 TD, 4 INT, 7.70 YPA

Highlights:

Can't Find Any....

I know what you're thinking, "Who the hell is this guy"? John Skelton may be the best Senior QB Prospect that you've never heard of. Skelton has a massive frame (I know some of you had to double take at his Height/Weight), and a cannon of an arm. He still needs to improve his accuracy, but he's steadily increasing, as seen by his CMP% over the last 3 seasons. His potential is extremely high.

Coming out of High School, John Skelton wasn't highly recruited, or recruited at all for the most part; Skelton's only FBS scholarship offer was from UTEP. In fact, online recruiting services didn't even have a profile for him. Looking back on it now, Skelton being overshadowed is somewhat understandable. Being in Texas, he was competing against the likes of Matthew Stafford, Jevan Snead, Jerrod Johnson, Greg McElroy, Taylor Potts, Christian Ponder, and Andy Dalton, not to mention three guys who weren't heavily recruited in Todd Reesing, Case Keenum, and Trevor Vittatoe. There has been confirmed knowledge that the Head Coach of Burges High, after getting fired, didn't send out any tape of Skelton to Universities. It's hard to be heavily recruited when you're coming from El Paso, Texas and nobody in the country has seen you play, much less seen any tape.

John Skelton is probably a late-round flier at this point, although come April I suspect he'll be moving up the boards quite a bit. "According to Eb Samuel of the New York Daily News, the Jets, Broncos and Redskins all have sent reps to Fordham, and the Colts and a handful of other teams have requested credentials to scout the squad during the season." Joe Flacco anyone? Small School Quarterback with a big arm. I'm not saying that he'll be as good, or even have his stock elevated to a day one status, but he could have a very successful rise on the draft boards come April. John Skelton is still pretty raw, but he has the tools to be a Top 10 Quarterback in the upcoming draft; probably in the 8-10 range, depending on the underclassmen that declare.

John Skelton

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 258

Statistics:

2009: [2 Games] 133.76 QB Rat, 685 Yards, 89 Attempts, 59.6 CMP%, 5 TD, 4 INT, 7.70 YPA

Highlights:

Can't Find Any....

Skelton has a massive frame (I know some of you had to double take at his Height/Weight), and a cannon of an arm. He still needs to improve his accuracy. . .

His team is 3-4, 0-2 in the Patriot League and were held to 12 points by mighty Colgate.

Spurgon Wynn, anybody?

Archived