THE BROWNS BOARD

More of my Crap

The Gipper

Here is some more of my crap trivia. See what that dude brought about as a result of bitching about it?:

1. Who played in the first "unofficial" NFL title game?

2. Which team made the most consecutive appearances in an NFL title game/Super Bowl?

3. Which team won consecutive NFL title games by shutout?

4. Where was the 1936 NFL title game between the Green Bay Packers and the Boston Redskins played?

5. Who was the Head Coach of the ONLY team ever to defeat Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers in an NFL playoff game?

6. Which Stadium has hosted the most NFL title games or Super Bowls? (hint: there is a tie)

7. From 1960-1969 the NFL held the "Playoff Bowl" or the "Third Place Bowl". Which team won the most "Playoff Bowls and which team lost the most Playoff Bowls?

8. What QB has started in the most Super Bowls?

9. Prior to the 2008 Lions, what was the most recent team to go winless in an NFL season?

10. What two teams that were once one later played each other in a championship game?

11. Since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970 what Quarterback is considered to have thrown the most game ending/game winning succesful"Hail Mary" passes?

12. The NFL adopted the "sudden death overtime" rule for regular season games prior to the 1974 season. What teams played in the very first game in which that rule was applied, and what was the result?

2. Which team made the most consecutive appearances in an NFL title game/Super Bowl?

Thanks for the fun thread Gipper!

Trying not to get too tricked with "NFL" - I'm going to still say it is the Cleveland Browns since they made 10 consecutive Pro Football Championship Title Games from 1946 through 1955. I think the first 2-3 years they were the AAFL/AAFC; but I still think going 7 in a row after the first few years still pretty much tops anyone.

- Tom F.

Trying not to get too tricked with "NFL" - I'm going to still say it is the Cleveland Browns since they made 10 consecutive Pro Football Championship Title Games from 1946 through 1955. I think the first 2-3 years they were the AAFL/AAFC; but I still think going 7 in a row after the first few years still pretty much tops anyone.

- Tom F.

9. Tampa Bay in 1976. 0-16

- Tom F.

You get the check mark even without including the AAFC days.

Here is some more of my crap trivia. See what that dude brought about as a result of bitching about it?:

4. Where was the 1936 NFL title game between the Green Bay Packers and the Boston Redskins played?

5. Who was the Head Coach of the ONLY team ever to defeat Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers in an NFL playoff game?

6. Which Stadium has hosted the most NFL title games or Super Bowls? (hint: there is a tie)

7. From 1960-1969 the NFL held the "Playoff Bowl" or the "Third Place Bowl". Which team won the most "Playoff Bowls and which team lost the most Playoff Bowls?

9. Prior to the 2008 Lions, what was the most recent team to go winless in an NFL season?

10. What two teams that were once one later played each other in a championship game?

11. Since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970 what Quarterback is considered to have thrown the most game ending/game winning successful"Hail Mary" passes?

12. The NFL adopted the "sudden death overtime" rule for regular season games prior to the 1974 season. What teams played in the very first game in which that rule was applied, and what was the result?

Gip, I enjoy your post's. Keep them coming!

I won't let this go past the weekend

The Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans nka The Detroit Lions. This was 1932. The next year they began the "official" first playoff games. However, I don't know why the 1932 game is not considered "official" as the Bears were declared the league champion as a result of that game.

That, of course would be the Cleveland Browns who had 6 consecutive appearances from 1950 to 1955 inclusive. No other team in history has had more than 4. (and this does not include the 4 years appearances in the AAFC title games, thus making it 10 consecutive title game appearances...7 victiories)

The 1948 and 1949 Philadelphia Eagles won both year's NFL title games by shutouts (but then of course the Browns came in and proceeded to defeat them 35-10)

It was the first neutral field playoff site, held in NYC, primarily because George Preston Marshall knew he was going to ditch Boston and thought he could get more money out of the game if played in NYC.

That would be Buck Shaw, HC of those 1960 Philadelphia Eagles.

The tie is between: The New Orleans Superdome, which has hosted 6 Super Bowls....and....Cleveland Municipal Stadium which hosted 6 NFL title games (pre-SB). (5 games for the Browns, 1 game for the Rams). Come next Jan/Feb. whatever, Miami's Landshark/ProPlayer/Joe Robbie stadium will match the other 2. But, alas, the Superdome is scheduled to host the 2013 Super Bowl and old Muni. Stadium will lose its place in that record book...as it obviously cannot hold any more events.

Though....take note, the field which the Browns play on, as you must know, is the very same field, the same plot of earth (or landfill in this case) that has been in use as an NFL field longer than any other field in the league.

The Detroit Lions won 3 "Playoff Bowls", but The Cleveland Browns lost 3 of those Playoff Bowls. (these games were considered exhibitions and thus do not count in any compilation of postseason games won or lost.)

The Main Mule himself: John Elway

The 1982 Baltimore Colts went 0-8-1 in the strike shortened season that year.

The Cardinals and the Steelers merged for one year in 1944 due to the manpower shortages from WWII. They split again the following year, and as you know, some 64 years later these two teams met in the 2008 Super Bowl.

11. Since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970 what Quarterback is considered to have thrown the most game ending/game winning succesful"Hail Mary" passes?

Believe it or not that man is none other than: TIM COUCH. The only player to throw a game winning "Hail Mary" pass to win 2 games at the very end. The designation of a true "Hail Mary pass is one that I believe has to go at least 35 or 40 yards. For Couch they occurred in 1999 on Halloween against the Saints for 56 yards to win the game 21-16, and again in 2000 against the Jags to Quincy Morgan of 50 yards to win 21-20. The Browns have had a couple go against them, notably in 1980 by the Vikings Tommy Kramer to Ahmad Rashad. Then in 2001, the Bears threw a Hail Mary to tie the game at the end, and the Browns went on to lose in OT. FYI, the name 'Hail Mary" pass is attributed to Roger Staubach.

The Steeler and Broncos in 1974 played to a 35-35 tie in regulation. This was the first regular season game in NFL history that would go into OT under the new rules. How did the game end? In a 35-35 tie. Neither team could score in a15 minute extra period. The Broncos missed a 41 yard FG attempt that could have won it in OT.

Prior to the regular season OT rule, only 4 games in history had gone to OT:

1958 NFL title game Colts over Giants in the "Greatest Game ever played"

1962 AFL title game Dallas Texans over Houston Oilers in the second longest game ever played. It went 17:54 into OT

1965 NFL Western Conference playoff game Packers over Colts (Pack went on to defeat Browns in NFL title game)

1971 AFC Divisional playoff game Dolphins defeated Chiefs in the longest game ever played, going 22:40 into OT

And FYI, the Browns/Jets Divisional playoff game played in 1987 won by the Browns 23-20 is the third longest game ever played, going 17:04 into OT. The Browns of course lost an OT game the following week to the Broncos. Thus the 1987 Browns I believe are the only team to ever play two OT playoff games in the same season. At least, per my checking that was true through the 2001 season.

Well Im always bitching about something but Im pretty sure I never said anything to you! Besides I like some trivia once in a while.

I usually do a "set" of trivia once a week. Its just this week I did the two, just to irritate those who complained!!

I guess I could just present this stuff as "Factoids" and give you the info rather than asking questions. To be honest, I am not overly impressed by the knowledge of the history of the game (and other sports) that I have seen demonstrated here. E.g. apparently no one knew that Mike Phipps is probably the worst QB in the history of the Browns? I guess many of you here are too young and didn't live through having to watch Mike Phipps. Well, younguns, pay attention. DA this year looks like Mike Phipps reincarnated.

Perhaps if I put some cash on the line that would help with the responses? Nah, it would probably just encourage more googling and cheating.

which team fell of the face of the earth in 1963 and never showed their face again in the only game that means anything.. Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Super Bowl. Only one team has the most Super Bowl wins and we call them the Steelers..

Browns should still be proud of drafting almost no.1 since 1999.

Who in this thread has just half of the teeth of a normal adult and just finished F-ing their sister?

That's right, the correct answer is DJHero! You win a date with his morbidly obese mom in their trailer, because she it too large to get out of the door.

Who in this thread has just half of the teeth of a normal adult and just finished F-ing their sister?

That's right, the correct answer is DJHero! You win a date with his morbidly obese mom in their trailer, because she it too large to get out of the door.

Thats funny

Without googling I believe it was GB and KC.

note edit: i thought you were asking about first SB that the players didn't even know they were playing in a superbowl.

which team fell of the face of the earth in 1963 and never showed their face again in the only game that means anything.. Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Super Bowl. Only one team has the most Super Bowl wins and we call them the Steelers..

Browns should still be proud of drafting almost no.1 since 1999.

You are free to produce your own set of trivia questions to place on this board. However, being a Steeler fan, it is clear that you do not have the intellect, knowlege or understanding to be able to produce something like that....even if it were to involve all Steeler hype. I suggest that I probably know more about the Steeleroids history than just about any Steeler fan on here.

Archived