THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns: Lewis wants accountability

next2nothing

Published: Friday, October 30, 2009

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

In the moments after his team lost 38-0 to the Jets last Sunday, Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour announced: "I don't think we could've beaten an Oakland high school team today."

On Monday night, Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth blasted his teammates after losing to the Eagles, 27-17, by saying: "Urgency, heart, want-to, whatever. I don't know. We're lacking a lot of stuff right now."

There is only one player in the Browns' locker room who carries enough weight to draw attention saying something like that — Jamal Lewis — and he won't go there. He tried it last year, and was chastised by management for it. But this much is very clear; Lewis is fed up with losing and he is not happy with the way business is being conducted at 76 Lou Groza Boulevard in Berea.

"I wish I had ownership in this team," Lewis told The News-Herald in a one-on-one interview Thursday. "I wish Randy Lerner would entertain the thought. I'd do a whole lot organizationally. It's a bad time, right? Business is struggling, and this is a business."

So, Lewis was asked, if he instead of Lerner owned the Browns, what is the first change he would make?

"I'm not going to give you that," Lewis said. "I wish I could. It's all about accountability. That's what I would instill — accountability among everybody. That's how I run my businesses, and they're pretty good businesses.

"Everybody is accountable for something. I don't just put it on my employees. I put it on management. I put it on my executives I'm paying the big bucks to. I put it on my executives and management and then everything trickles down to the employees.

"I'm not saying that's lacking here, but at the same time, if you were to buy a business that isn't doing well, the first thing you need to look at is who is accountable for areas not doing well and handle it from there."

Lewis played seven seasons with the Baltimore Ravens before signing with the Browns as a free agent in 2007. The Ravens won the Super Bowl his rookie year and then went 10-6, 7-9, 10-6 (AFC North champions), 9-7, 6-10 and 13-3 in 2006 (AFC North champions). They did not win a playoff game after winning the Super Bowl in the six seasons Lewis was in Baltimore following the championship year, but each time they finished under .500 they bounced back to have a winning season.

After the Browns were 10-6 in 2007, Lewis' first year in Cleveland, they were 4-12 last year and at 1-6 are going nowhere fast this year.

"This isn't the football I'm used to," Lewis said.

Lewis harkened back to his early days with the Ravens when Art Modell owned the team. Steve Bisciotti has owned the Ravens since 2004 while Modell, 84, retains a minority ownership in the team he moved from Cleveland in 1996.

Browns fans won't want to hear it and Lerner probably won't either, but Lewis said Modell is the reason the Ravens were and continue to be successful by setting up an organization and holding everyone in it accountable.

"An organization has to be organized in order for it to be an organization," Lewis said. "Art's a great guy. Do you know Art came to every single practice in Baltimore? It didn't matter if it was rain, sleet or snow. He would get off his cart and, slow as he walked, he'd walk by and shake every players hand and say " 'I'm glad to have you as part of our team.' Do you know what that does for a young player? It means a lot.

"Art's a reason I'd like to have ownership in a team. I would instill that in the team I'm running because it goes a long way."

Modell was very visible as owner of the Browns and continued that practice in Baltimore. He is in a wheelchair now but still attends practice two days a week.

Lerner prefers being in the background, as he has since taking over the Browns from his late father in 2002. It doesn't mean he is less passionate, but some fans interpret his silence as not caring about what happens to the Browns.

As bleak as things are right now, Lewis has not given up hope better days could be ahead.

"We have a new coaching staff and new things going in," Lewis said. "That's not an excuse, but it does have to be taken into consideration. We have young players and young coaches new in their areas and certain things need to be handled in a different kind of way when it's like that."

I like his thinking, very well put. This has been the very problem that has plagued the Browns since Randy inherited this team.

And that is nobody in management is held accountable for what goes on in Berea unless the lake catches on fire and Randy sees the smoke signals over in Jolly ole England.

"We have a new coaching staff and new things going in," Lewis said. "That's not an excuse, but it does have to be taken into consideration. We have young players and young coaches new in their areas and certain things need to be handled in a different kind of way when it's like that."

I dig Jamal Lewis, and I have zero problem with his appreciation for Modell. Lewis is one of the guys I trust to not just say the right things or tow the company line, but also when he does speak outside the lines he does it professionally and with a purpose. Lewis learned from his mistake when he got in trouble with the law, and I really believe he is a solid guy who could possibly be an Ozzie Newsome in the making.

Mangini was mr accountabilty before the season started...now its conveniently "a process" and only the players are held responsible..and lerner not only takes no accountability but also doesnt seem to know how to fix the problem...IMHO a good start would be to fire mangina and daboll at the bye week...

I dig Jamal Lewis, and I have zero problem with his appreciation for Modell. Lewis is one of the guys I trust to not just say the right things or tow the company line, but also when he does speak outside the lines he does it professionally and with a purpose. Lewis learned from his mistake when he got in trouble with the law, and I really believe he is a solid guy who could possibly be an Ozzie Newsome in the making.

too bad he can't run the ball worth sheet anymore!

Mangini was mr accountabilty before the season started...now its conveniently "a process" and only the players are held responsible..and lerner not only takes no accountability but also doesnt seem to know how to fix the problem...IMHO a good start would be to fire mangina and daboll at the bye week...

firing Mangini would just set this franchise back another 5 years, get the hell over Mangini and look at what he's had to work with, do you think the browns would have a winning record with Belichick there on the sidelines? give him a chance to build this team before you just keep purging the entire organization every 3 years.

Jamal whats to be in the business side of football operations, lerner is rumored to be considering some type of Director of football operations. Are you thinking what im thinking? Maybe Jamal retires this year and takes that position with the Browns next season.

Or maybe I started drinking a little early.

firing Mangini would just set this franchise back another 5 years, get the hell over Mangini and look at what he's had to work with, do you think the browns would have a winning record with Belichick there on the sidelines? give him a chance to build this team before you just keep purging the entire organization every 3 years.

Firing Mangini would set this organization back 9 weeks. Personally, I want to purge this organization right now. I'm tired of a coach trying to tell me DA gives us the best chance to win when guys like Rutigliano, Dieken, and every talking head in the National media are laughing at him. We're at ground zero, what would be the loss? Randy needs to admit he made a huge mistake and move on.

Schottenheimer, Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher- ever hear of them? you think for 1\2 a second they'd still trot out the worst rated passer in the NFL week after week for your displeasure?

So this guy has done exactly WHAT here this season to warrant such a reason to ask for accountability? He's a 245 pound RB that wants to tap dance instead of USING his physique to pound the rock and hit the hole. Geee, what a way to have someone's back that has him STILL starting over Jerome Harrison. Seriously, Harrison runs harder; and if you look at the bio-mechanics of their running styles today - you'll see why. Lewis runs straight upright because he's obviously favoring his reconstructed ankles while Harrison has a forward lean where first contact involves the shoulder pads. I think people get too caught up in Jamal's book cover (his build) more than they look at the fallen art from too many ankle surgeries and wear and tear. He's nothing like the player that hit us up for 500 yards in 6 quarters a lifetime ago.

IMO, the MAIN reason the coaching staff keeps Lewis starting is because they are HOPING he's a leader as an experienced vet from a Superbowl Championship w/ 1 rushing title on the resume. All that was before the mileage on hs body began to decay the ability. Today he's built like Tarzan and playing like Jane. Baltimore actually gave that 3 strikes out of respect for past accomplishments.

Speaking of that great management in Baltimore, why did Ozzie let Jamal leave for a division rival again? It doesn't sound like Jamal really appreciates the only owner willing to overpay his butt. I wish we'd finally deep 6 him as a starter. He gets fusy when Harrison comes in so we have to take out a more productive Lawrence Vickers (he actually bends down for low passes that Jamal refuses to exert himself for).

Jamal isn't being paid dearly to talk about making a diffference. He's being paid dearly to BE the difference. Who's kidding who here?

- Tom F.

People get too caught up in potential and quit looking at what IS. You can't ignore potential but you can't give it too much weight either. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, doesn't put points on the board.

Firing Mangini would set this organization back 9 weeks. Personally, I want to purge this organization right now. I'm tired of a coach trying to tell me DA gives us the best chance to win when guys like Rutigliano, Dieken, and every talking head in the National media are laughing at him. We're at ground zero, what would be the loss? Randy needs to admit he made a huge mistake and move on.

Schottenheimer, Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher- ever hear of them? you think for 1\2 a second they'd still trot out the worst rated passer in the NFL week after week for your displeasure?

Hoorta,

I usually find myself sharing alot of your opinions on many topics. This isn't one of them so hear me out first.

The relentless cries for a new Head Coach every single year reminds me too much of the boy who cried wolf. Had anyone ever seen this wolf - well the boy might have had more cred the next time he shouted wolf. At some point, is the fix as easy as a new face in the front office?

Seriously, on what grounds in a front office that was often referred to as chaotic last year - is Mangini firable THIS year?

Our 2 Savage Corners that SUCK? That an inheritance where Mike Adams became our version of Patch Adams

Savage's GREAT Safety Brodney Pocket pool? Furrey already looks better as a problem solve.

Savage's Stallworth idea?

The prolonged usefulness of Kevin Shaffer or Joe Andruzzi?

The Savage QB merry-go-round that started with Trent Dilfer paused with Charlie Frye - skipped ahead with DA and went straight to Brady Quinn in 2009?

How about following up LAST YEAR'S debacle with only 4 draft picks to our name this year? Is that being dealt a dream hand?

I've sat here since the day Savage arrived and heard the necessity for us to USE a 3-4 alignment where our idea of the right Nose Tackle shook out like this: Jason Fisk, a 37 year old Ted Washington, Andrew Hoffman and Babe Oshinowo. How many consecutive times can you FAIL at putting an apex on our 3-4? We finally got Shaun Rogers here without much of a desire to entice him to WANT to stay here.

Now think of all the LBers we committed to under Savage. His first impression was give Andra Davis a raise and secure his future here. WTF? Sign Matt Stewart. Sign Antwaan Peek, Sign Shantee Orr, draft the same Leon Williams the Miami Hurricanes kept benching for stupidity. I run hot and cold with D'Qwell Jackson because I see most of his tackles in Wali Rainer areas too far downfield instead of in places where ILBers displaying great 1st step instinct make their tackles.

There's countless other things that went wrong in the Savage era like mid and late round picks absolutely sucking. Riff reminded me Savage took I-Suck Sowells instead of Elvis Dumerville. Phil always liked to say he went with what was "safest." Yay!

Now for some positive things that ARE important:

1) Alex Mack has shown improvement all the way up until last week.

2) Josh Cribbs seems to be having his BEST season returnign the ball.

3) Joe Thomas shutout the followingf studs from sacking our QB: Jared Allen, Antwaan Odom, James Harrison, Aaron Schobel...

4) Wimbley has returned to being that guy we saw as a rookie (started off averaging 1 sack per game in the first 4 starts)

5) Mike Adams has shown me he can play ANY secondary position.

6) We've doubled our 2010 draft volume while Winslow and Edwards have a combined 1 win since Cleveland.

7) We got starters/rotation guys off the Jets 10 win team from 08 and doubled our 2009 draft volume.

8) This team doesn't need a NICE guy everybody has to like. It needs a size 15 shoe up it's ass from some absolute basterd who wants to win. We haven't exactly won many football games in 3 of the 4 years Savage & RAC were in charge.

- Tom F.

Archived