THE BROWNS BOARD

Oregonian Reporter has solution to help DA

ATENEARS

Reporter says a practice squad wide receiver could solve Derek Anderson's problems

By Starting Blocks

October 29, 2009, 12:57PM

Reporter Aaron Fentress of The Oregonian has found the solution to help improve Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson.

Tracy Boulian/Plain DealerCleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson. Anderson has completed 60 of 137 passes (43,8 percent) for 604 yards with two touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Fentress doesn't suggest Anderson work on his mechanics, not does he write that Anderson could receive help with a better running game. Fentress writes that all the Browns need to do to help Anderson is to sign his former college wide receiver at Oregon State University ---- Mike Hass, a practice squad receiver on the Seattle Seahawks.

That's right, not make a trade for an all-pro, or even a possible all-pro, but a practice player.

Fentress writes:

Hass is only a phone call away. Teams can sign players off other team’s practice squad simply by calling that player’s agent. And Hass would instantly make Anderson better. Put Hass in the slot and Anderson’s completion percentage and the teams third-down percentage (26.5) would take a jump. The two had a unique connection at OSU and even though the NFL game is different, it’s not like Hass hasn’t been on NFL rosters for four years, so clearly he can play. And anyone who has watched him play during preseason games with Chicago and Seattle saw that he can make plays by doing something that seems to be a bit underrated in the NFL --- catching the ball.

Heck, if you are cutting one of the pieces of garbage on our team right now, i say go the heck for it. Honestly, could it really hurt? I don't think it'll help but if Mangini is set on using DA might as well make him the happiest DA we can.

Hass maybe dropped 3 of DA's passes in 2 seasons. He's got hands. He also runs great routes.... Back in the day when people used to point fingers at DA during college for his large number of ints, it was pointed out that virtually none of them were in Hass's direction. That means either he was on the same page with DA as far as route running, or a heck of a receiver when it comes to winning possession battles... he goes after the ball... something which has been missed with the Brown's lately.

His big knock is top end speed. Ran something like a 4.62-4.68 in the 40 at the combine. His 3 cone drill was pretty darned good though if I recall.... the kid can get enough separation in the shorter routes to get that first down and then some.

Now that JJ's gone, the Browns could really use a possession receiver.

This is a joke, right? A guy completes 40% of his passes and the solution is to sign a practice squad player because they played together in college? I mean, don't get me wrong, Seattle has a world-beating practice squad, but...really? Listen, I wasn't sold on Quinn, and thought DA might at some point turn a corner, but that's clearly not happened. The only reason I can think for Mangini to keep DA as the starter is for the team to avoid having to pay Quinn's full salary. Either that or they're already angling for the first pick.

Sure, whatever, bring in another "heart of a champion" possession receiver. As long as the QB situation doesn't change, the team's still going to be irrelevant.

Dennis

This is a joke, right? A guy completes 40% of his passes and the solution is to sign a practice squad player because they played together in college? I mean, don't get me wrong, Seattle has a world-beating practice squad, but...really? Listen, I wasn't sold on Quinn, and thought DA might at some point turn a corner, but that's clearly not happened. The only reason I can think for Mangini to keep DA as the starter is for the team to avoid having to pay Quinn's full salary. Either that or they're already angling for the first pick.

Sure, whatever, bring in another "heart of a champion" possession receiver. As long as the QB situation doesn't change, the team's still going to be irrelevant.

Dennis

You know, Mangini and the team know if the 40% is solely because of DA, or the receivers. It's probably a bit of both. Let's say it's half DA, half the receivers, if you could eliminate the drops, the running the wrong routes and the poor reads on the receiver's part, you might be able to add an extra 8-12% on to DA's completion percentage... still not great, but you complete a few more third down conversions, change a big drop near the goal line here an there, and you've got two, maybe three more wins. It may be irrelevant to you, but I'd bet lots of Browns fans would enjoy the extra wins.

You think that the team has lost three games this year because of the receivers?

Also, three wins is clearly not irrelevant at this point in the season. But bringing in some guy off another team's practice squad isn't going to make that happen. Wins aren't irrelevant, but teams that have to rely on this kind of crap to get some kind of a spark are.

Dennis

Some observations based on that video footage:

He fights for the ball, doesn't lose concentration, finds soft spots well and caught a ton of balls thrown into double and triple coverage!

Holy smokes, did anyone else notice this? wouldn't it be easier to find a quarterback that makes logical decisions instead of finding a team of receivers that can make DA look good?

That was college where stupid mistakes get forgiven a lot more often. The receivers we have didn't start in the NFL by accident.

The common denominator is...

Dennis

Dennis,

I share your pain but the laws of supply and demand haven't favored Cleveland in quite some time in the search for the right QB. We're all for better alternatives at QB, which was a BIG reason why Cleveland started another alternative at QB in 2009. Had that worked out the way many of us wanted it to & Mangini - we'd be all set. Trouble IS we got toasted in all 3 of Quinn's starts and we couldn't move the chains enough to remain competitive longer than 15-30 minutes of a 60 minute game.

If great Qbs grew on trees - we'd be all set each and every time it was our turn to draft. Since they don't, people are getting aggravated we want to consider guys who actually CATCH the damn ball? There's always Stallworth. Oh wait, I forgot - he's suspended from the NFL for a year. I guess there isn't always Stallworth. Okay, there's always Braylon. Oh wait, he was renamed Boo in Cleveland because of his stonehands. He helped the Jets LOSE to the same Bills we beat as 2 of Sanchez's INTs caromed off of Boo's hands and into defenders' hands.

When QBs like Steve Beuerline are showing video collages of 8 dropped passes vrs Buffalo - they're saying be careful of WHERE we are placing all our blame and frustration. Bernie Kosar echoes the same message that MANY of these drops are inexcusable for NFL receivers. If you show me an unimpressive completion percentage on an afternoon where 8 catchable passes aren't caught - I'm less apt to question accuracy. The prettiest pass I've seen this year when to an uncontested Robert Royal at Buffalo where he did what the Buffalo Bills expected he'd do and dropped the pass. Maybe some of the receivers we are relying on couldn't even MAKE Seattle's practice squad.

Every Sunday, regardless of WHO starts at QB, I ask myself the same question: WHO is our go-to guy like Derek found in 2007? All QBs like that WR they have a history of chemistry with. The Bears were excited to reunite the All Time SEC pass receptions leader (Earl Bennett) with Jay Cutler. It's kind of like baseball where SOEM pitchers have a chemistry with a certain catcher. Chemistry is big in sports. Good hands breeds a confident passer nd it becomes a 2-way street.

- Tom F.

this is a joke right?

I don't think it is. I kind of LIKED seeing proof that passes touching a receiver's hands can be caught from DA. People are acting like whoever starts at QB for us have been blessed by Stallworth and Braylon this season. Well they haven't been folks! The Braylon that was still putting football first in 2007 CAUGHT DA's passes - so did alot of other receivers if we're being honest with ourselves here.

HELLO!!! Are we watchign the same team? As soon as Braylon left - MoMass drew the #1 corner of the opponent and he hasn't played well since. As someone else reminded, Robiskie and his 4.6/4.7 forty times are working on seperation vrs opponents not named Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Akron. Go back and get Robiskie's OFFICIAL 40 time at Indy to understand why corners are having fun with him at this time while he has little experience. I'm not convinced he's BETTER than Hass/Haas. MAYBE he'll become Brian Brennan but maybe he lacks Brennan's agility that creates as much seperation as speed does. We'll see. HOPE he does because GB's corners were smothering our WRs al day as it was pointed out by a former NFL Qb that knows a thing or 2 about NFL passing games.

He was adored because he went to OSU so the first word was"he'll be more pro ready than alot of receivers comign into the draft." He's not at all. Is this where I'm supposed to default to Mangini sucks?

Braylon and Stallworth jamming us - is the difference between coaching guys on scholarship and a DIVA holding his team salary cap hostage. That was an inherited plan from the previous Brass. In hopes for continuity, we all know the WR position takes time to master unless one is Torry Holt or Randy Moss but those are few and far between.

To quote our Left Tackle in the huddle: "How about catchinmg the damn ball fellas!" I've been gagging on the Dennis Northcutt types here for far too long. Guess what I owe Brian Robiskie or MoMass? Ballsweat - until they fetch it and catch it!

- Tom F.

I don't think it is. I kind of LIKED seeing proof that passes touching a receiver's hands can be caught from DA. People are acting like whoever starts at QB for us have been blessed by Stallworth and Braylon this season. Well they haven't been folks! The Braylon that was still putting football first in 2007 CAUGHT DA's passes - so did alot of other receivers if we're being honest with ourselves here.

HELLO!!! Are we watchign the same team? As soon as Braylon left - MoMass drew the #1 corner of the opponent and he hasn't played well since. As someone else reminded, Robiskie and his 4.6/4.7 forty times are working on seperation vrs opponents not named Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Akron. Go back and get Robiskie's OFFICIAL 40 time at Indy to understand why corners are having fun with him at this time while he has little experience. I'm not convinced he's BETTER than Hass/Haas. MAYBE he'll become Brian Brennan but maybe he lacks Brennan's agility that creates as much seperation as speed does. We'll see. HOPE he does because GB's corners were smothering our WRs al day as it was pointed out by a former NFL Qb that knows a thing or 2 about NFL passing games.

He was adored because he went to OSU so the first word was"he'll be more pro ready than alot of receivers comign into the draft." He's not at all. Is this where I'm supposed to default to Mangini sucks?

Braylon and Stallworth jamming us - is the difference between coaching guys on scholarship and a DIVA holding his team salary cap hostage. That was an inherited plan from the previous Brass. In hopes for continuity, we all know the WR position takes time to master unless one is Torry Holt or Randy Moss but those are few and far between.

To quote our Left Tackle in the huddle: "How about catchinmg the damn ball fellas!" I've been gagging on the Dennis Northcutt types here for far too long. Guess what I owe Brian Robiskie or MoMass? Ballsweat - until they fetch it and catch it!

- Tom F.

Ok..so it's not a joke..it should be.. we are supposed to sign the 6th to 8th string guy from Seattle.(if he's practice squad that is what it equates to since most teams keep 5-6 active receivers) ..... and I am supposed to take that seriously? WOW..

Archived