THE BROWNS BOARD

If the Browns can get....

WPB Dawg Fan

Chris Wells, RB, OSU, 6'1" 235

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU, 6'1" 201, 4.45 40

Michael Crabtree, WR, TT, 6'3" 214,

Vontae Davis, CB, Ill, 6' 204, 4.4 40

Michael Johnson, DE, GT, 6'7" 270, 4.65 40 (if we go 4-3)

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC, 6'2" 260

Brian Orakpo, DE (OLB in 3-4), Tx, 6'4" 260, 4.6 40

Which one would you want?

I'm having a hard time picking between Crabtree, Jenkins, Orakpo, and Maualuga. So I'll just say this, I would NOT want Beanie Wells with those guys on the board. He doesn't run nearly as hard as he should for a guy his size. His speed won't be such a great asset in the NFL and I don't think he'll break nearly as many tackles as he should, kind of like what happens now. Other than a few Poster-stiff-arms now and then.

DTBH, i agree completely. wells is a college player who won't transition to the NFL at all. he's cedric benson.

out of the group listed, i want orakpo. he'll be a demon coming off the edge. we should make sure we get tyson jackson, too. he's born to be a 3-4 end.

Guest Masters

Unlike Benson, Wells shows patients and vision with his running. Wells will do fine in the NFL, if he can stay healthy (which is why I think he will come out for sure and would shy away from him).

I'd like Orakpo (assuming issues with Wimbley aren't really the coaching)

Guest Masters
i am worried that orakpo will be a vernon gholston-type workout warrior who got by in college on athleticism. i haven't really seen him play a ton.

Well, with a guy making that switch, it's always a worry.

Guest Masters
here's where i don't envy savage or think i could do his job better than he can: it is really, really hard to find quality pass rushers, guys who can get to the QB on their own.

For a 3-4 that is hard to do and risky. For a 4-3, there is a couple every year floating in the first two rounds.

Mauluga.

We need a dominant LB more than anything else right now. We just have no presence at LB whatsoever. I think Rey is a guy that makes the LB's better like Rogers makes the DL better.

Plus, I saw a little clip about his background and how he's straightened his life out. Seems like a GREAT character guy now.

Ultimately, I want the best talent on the board in real life but of this list, I think Rey is #1.

Guest Aloysius
If we have a chance to get Orakpo, that means we tanked these last 7 games.

He's probably a top 5 draft pick. He'll only float up too as his workout numbers will be off the chart. He may even break the 225lb bench press record.

I think you're right about Orakpo being taken before we're on the clock.

Of the other guys listed, I'd probably take Maualuga, but Aaron Curry may be a better option than all of those guys.

Curry put on a one man show earlier this year against Ole Miss. You can see highlights of him from that game here - just incredible.

Michael Crabtree, WR, TT, 6'3" 214

OR

Crabtree is a freak with glue on his hands, and CB is a priority on D, yes even over ILB.

Crabtree would make the Brown THE offensive juggernaut in the NFL. Davis would give us a legitimate shut down CB, and our defense would improve by leaps and bounds. I believe Beau Bell could be the answer inside.

i looked at the first two rounds of the 2003-2007 drafts and here's what i came up with:

2007: gaines adams (tb), jamaal anderson (atl), lawrence timmons (pit), jarvis hall (den), anthony spencer (dal), lamarr woodley (pit), david harris (nyj), turk mcbride (kc), tim crowder (den), victor abiamiri (phi), akaika alama-francis (det), dan bazuin (chi)

2006: mario williams (hou), wimbley, tamba hali (kc), manny lawson (sf), mathias kiwanuka (nyg), darryll tapp (sea)

2005: demarcus ware (dal), shawn merriman (sd), david pollack (cin), erasmus james (min), kevin burnett (dal), matt roth (mia), dan cody (bal)

2004: will smith (no), kenechi udeze (min), jason babin (hou), travis laboy (ten), antwan odom (ten)

2003: terrell suggs (bal), michael haynes (chi), jerome mcdougle (phi), calvin pace (ari), tyler brayton (oak), chris kelsay (buf), osi umenyiora (nyg), alonzo jackson (pit), dewayne white (tb)

now, arizona has gone back and forth between the 3-4 and 4-3 over those years, so i only included obvious pass rushers. the same goes for miami. i didn't include baltimore becuase they play such hybrid schemes.

the stats break down like this:

4-3 ends chosen: 24

successful picks: 5 (gaines adams, mario williams, will smith, mathias kiwanuka, osi umenyoira)

3-4 OLBs chosen: 10

successful: 5 (ware, merriman, matt roth, lawrence timmons, lamarr woodley)

3-4 OLB minus pittsburgh

chosen: 9

successful: 3 (ware, roth, merriman)

it comes out to about 20% of DEs being successful and 33% of non-pittburgh LBs being successful.

thus, while there are less players who play the position, you've got better odds at landing an impact pass rusher for the 3-4 than for the 4-3.

I would no doubt say ILB would be our #1 priority if bell doesn't work out. So Rey would get my first pick. Next to that, I would take Orakpo or Crabtree. With Cleveland's luck, I don't see beanie being able to stay healthy in our setting and I feel that Harrison should deserve a chance first to see if he could turn into an everydown back (although i doubt it)

Chris Wells, RB, OSU, 6'1" 235

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU, 6'1" 201, 4.45 40

Michael Crabtree, WR, TT, 6'3" 214,

Michael Johnson, DE, GT, 6'7" 270, 4.65 40 (if we go 4-3)

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC, 6'2" 260

Brian Orakpo, DE (OLB in 3-4), Tx, 6'4" 260, 4.6 40

Which one would you want?

Maualuga. Period. Andre Davis sucks. Unless we totally tank, I agree Orakpo will be gone. I'll admit I'm an OSU homer- what don't you like about James Laurinitis for the Browns?

Archived