THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns know Derek Anderson must improve to have a chance vs. Bears

ATENEARS

No surprises: Browns know Derek Anderson must improve to have a chance vs. Bears

By Mary Kay Cabot

November 01, 2009, 4:40AM

CHICAGO, Ill. -- Brian Daboll made it clear this week that he needs Derek Anderson to play better, beginning Sunday in Chicago.

Asked the one thing Anderson need to improve, the Browns' offensive coordinator said, "Complete more passes. I'm being serious. I think there are some plays last game [against Green Bay] that I know he feels he left out there. Probably more so than the first couple games. We had some guys that were in good positions.

"It's not all Derek by any stretch, but I think if we can get those easy quick completions and get it into the hands of our playmakers a little bit earlier, it puts you on a better track offensively."

For the second straight week, Daboll put the bulk of responsibility for the offensive woes on Anderson's shoulders. The week before, following the 27-14 loss to the Steelers, Daboll didn't absolve Anderson from seven dropped passes.

"Dropped passes aren't fun, but I think the throws could be a little better too," he said. "The concentration has to improve and they have to come down with it. We have to put the ball where it needs to be put and that's the bottom line."

Against the Packers, Anderson -- the lowest-rated quarterback in the NFL -- completed 12 of 29 attempts for 99 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception. But unlike the previous two weeks, when the Browns dropped 16 combined passes, only pass was dropped against Green Bay. That means Anderson failed to connect 16 times, including several throwaways. He was under heavy pressure at times, but Daboll still felt he had time to make better plays.

"It's a combination of whether it's the pressure, and exactly where the guy is supposed to be, but I'm sure he feels like he should have had a few that he didn't have last week."

One was the interception on the second-quarter pass intended for rookie receiver Brian Robiskie. At first glance, one might assume that the rookie ran the wrong route, cutting inside with the ball going to the outside. But Daboll pinned the pick on Anderson.

"It was an inside route for Brian," said Daboll. "Brian did a nice job of coming up and the play earlier he went and banged into [Charles] Woodson and must have had about six yards of separation. He was banging into him again and D.A. let it go a little early and mis-threw on it."

Daboll also held Anderson accountable for some of the protection problems.

"I think sometimes he drifts unnecessarily," said Daboll. "His body mechanics sometimes takes him one direction or the other and he needs to drop more straight back sometimes. Sometimes it's the rush, but when I'm watching it on tape with him, I can't tell him what to see when he's back there in the pocket. He has to feel it as a quarterback."

Despite the issues -- including only four offensive touchdowns in 81 possessions this season -- Daboll isn't sure when it'll be time to make a quarterback switch.

"I don't think we're at that point right now," he said. "Hopefully we won't ask that question here in the next few weeks."

One reason for optimism is that the lights are starting to come on for rookie receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Robiskie.

"They have a much better feel," said Daboll. "Brian was inactive the first few games so he is just really out here new. I think the speed of the game for him, a little bit, is slowing down. He did a nice job, I know he didn't have any production in Green Bay, of creating some separation against some tighter coverage against Woodson and [Al] Harris.

"Mohamed, I think he continues to improve. He has got good quickness of hearing the play in the huddle, going out there executing it, seeing it, making a split decision on what they are doing defensively."

Receiver Chansi Stuckey, acquired in the Braylon Edwards trade, admitted this is the first week he feels really comfortable. After his arrival, he got the flu. In three games he hasn't caught a ball, and has dropped three.

"Derek and I have felt each other out a little more now," said Stuckey. "I'm kind of understanding what he likes to do and how he likes to throw a certain ball and that helps a whole bunch."

Daboll has appreciated Anderson's attitude and dedication.

"He's been consistent with his work ethic," said Daboll. "He focuses on this week's opponent, trying to improve. He's not down. He is disappointed. He doesn't want to have these type of numbers, I know that. He works on it every week. If he keeps this preparation up, and I said this last week, I really believe good things are going to come."

Call me an idiot, but I see this coaching staff continuing to work with their young players on getting better each week and staying the course no matter how much the outside sources whine about them.

You know who that reminds me of? Bill Belichick ... I was living in Detroit at the time and not subject to the local media assult on Belichick ... I saw the guy building a soild/strong team, puttingin his guys and building. The local media whined because he removed their donuts from the media room then the room itself to make room for additional locker or training space for the players.

I like what Mangini is doing this year, I like that we are staying with DA and working through everything we can, working with the young receivers and staying the course.

Shoot me ... just stop whining.

I like what Mangini is doing this year, I like that we are staying with DA and working through everything we can, working with the young receivers and staying the course.

I agree. I think the train is on the right track. If you can teach the players to do things correctly when you add more talent everything will take care of itself.

Call me an idiot, but I see this coaching staff continuing to work with their young players on getting better each week and staying the course no matter how much the outside sources whine about them.

You know who that reminds me of? Bill Belichick ... I was living in Detroit at the time and not subject to the local media assult on Belichick ... I saw the guy building a soild/strong team, puttingin his guys and building. The local media whined because he removed their donuts from the media room then the room itself to make room for additional locker or training space for the players.

Shoot me ... just stop whining.

Sure...YOU are an idiot..... you're welcome.... If you think Mangina is a future Belichick than, yes, you sir are an idiot. Mangini isn't building anything....he is destroying our franchise and we are the laughing stock of the league. Right there in the front row with Al Davis.

I agree. I think the train is on the right track. If you can teach the players to do things correctly when you add more talent everything will take care of itself.

why weren't you guys saying "I think we should stay with the young QB Quinn and let him develop." At least he was performing better than DA has.

Sure...YOU are an idiot..... you're welcome.... If you think Mangina is a future Belichick than, yes, you sir are an idiot. Mangini isn't building anything....he is destroying our franchise and we are the laughing stock of the league. Right there in the front row with Al Davis.

Umm .. Al Davis is an owner. But I get your point SoCalDawg (aka: DAOSUpimp, the obsessed DA Hater). I guess we will see, huh?

Oh gee, this is where we get all giddy and pull up any post favoring DA.

How about bringing something to the forum?

We didn't start this DA love thread....you did...... we are just trying to get you up to speed with what the rest of us already know to be the TRUTH.

DA is the worst QB to have this many "chances" in 15 years of the NFL.

And who is this "SoCalDog" ? If he thinks DA sucks, then he is a very smart Dog!

Calling on Derek Anderson to improve is like asking Rosie ODonnell to quit munching on carpet... wont happen. As evidenced by his great 2 for 10 for 13 yards passing right now. I am not in either camp, but for the love of God there can be NOBODY in the this league that is worse than him. Hands down. Period. This is an embarrassment.

let's give Quinn the next 7 games to either prove he has it or he doesn't. I'm sick of Groundhog Day ever damn year. We know DA sucks, let's move on and see what Quinn can do for a good stretch of games. How is that not logical? It beats what the hell DA is doing out there now.

Archived