THE BROWNS BOARD

Congrats to the UT Fans

Flugel

The Kiffens are doing a GREAT job with that team. Monte's Defense has made the margin of error almost pressure-free on his son's QB. Speaking of the QB, GREAT coaching job on improving that kid's play. There's progress every week and that speaks volumes about that kid's character in how he dealt with the widespread "the QB sucks" stuff coming from everywhere. I wasn't innocent on that front either - gee, there's a surprise me getting premature with a conclusion.

In any event, Dan Williams just jumped off my television screen. He was everywhere causing trouble for SC's offense. Having that kind of force inside - makes everyone's job behind him and around him easier. When somebody makes me repeat "WOW" more than 3 times in 1 game - I'm intrigued by them.

LOVED watching the blitzes Kiffen doesn't advertise when the opposing QB is shouting out the cadence and reading his pre-snap alignment. It's fun to see how the defense responds to Monte and hearing how excited he gets the kids.

Last but not least, Tennessee has a fun running game to watch. Brown and Hardesty bring 2 different styles that work and that oline with the twins inside are all blue collar.

This is 1 Vandy fan that LIKES UT. Haven't been here long enough to understand the deep rooted hate I see some Vandy fans have for Tennessee.

The black jerseys were REALLY cool. I'd be interested in hearing other takes about yesterday's game (or just UT in general) from our Eastern TN crew that loves talking college football. Thanks!

- Tom F.

As a UT Student, the Black-out buzz added an extra UMPH to the game. The rumors had been out since August, and I was actually pretty surprised to see more then half the student section wearing black at the game. The offense played amazing. The one thing that people over-look that has made this team so much better this year is Montario Hardesty. I know Oku and Brown are the future, but without Hardesty healthy and running hard (maybe harder then any other back in the country) this offense would not be so open for Crompton to adjust to the coverages.

Props to Kiffin for not giving up on Crompton, because right now J.C looks like the High school prospect that Fulmer recruited. The defense is unbelievable, and one thing I would like to add is Eric Berry's impact on the game. Monte would slide berry around and whenever he was not blitzing, Garcia did not throw to his side of the field ONCE. Sure, he doesnt have any INT's this year, and maybe he is not putting up the #'s, but he is making it possible for Rogan and the other DB's to have big years by forcing the direction of play, think sort of like a Deion Sanders effect in terms of the passing game.

Lots of hard hits from the defense, and the freshmen are so key in this game, Tyler Bray has to be nutting himself thinking he gets to play with all these playmakers (minus Hardesty). TN will make a decent bowl game this year, since 3 of the last 4 games should be W (Vandy, UK, Memphis) and Ole Miss is still a good possibility too, Jeavon Sneed has fallen off the pre-season over hyping of his ability.

As someone who sat 10 rows up from Hardesty's 2nd TD, I can say football fever is back in Knoxville and its here to stay. Kiffin, while not your typical Tennessean, has brought a new 'swagger' to the campus and the athletics department. It started with Bruce Pearl and his chest painting, and its continued with "Smokin Weed, talking shit like Lane Kiffin".

Im calling it now, Tebow leaves, and UT rolls back to the SEC champion ship for the first time in 4 years, and will win it with a FRESH Tyler Bray who is coming to campus this Spring, on the shoulders of a dual back field of Brown and Oku, with some Richardson catching.

TN football is officially back

You can call it all you want, but UF will own UT.

OWN! ;)

Florida without Tim Tebow is like the Colts without Peyton Manning, they will be garbage. he already is all their offense since losing playmakers like percy harvin, and they arent replenishing them. Dont quote the recruiting rankings, crap Crompton was one of the highest touted QB's his year. Its all about how they contribute on the field and considering Tebow won this years game single handed before our QB's were playing well, AND its in Knoxville next year, ill be chompin on some gator next fall in Knoxville.

Thanks, TF. By the way, sorry about Vandy...looks like you picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue and to buy season tickets (how do you give up 56 points--and 28 straight--to a team running the option?).

As for the Vols, I'm really liking what I see from Kiffin's crew. There's a different energy on the sidelines, it bleeds into the stands, and the players get to feed back off of the fans' energy. Like Saturday night--just about everybody in Knoxville knew the team was going to wear black jerseys, but when the team ran out everybody still went nuts; people were high-fiving in the stands based on jerseys. Even though I still don't think that the white helmet-black jersey-orange pants color combination worked all that well, it was still a crazy atmosphere.

Even if it's by accident (and I think at least some of it is), Kiffin seems to be pushing all the right buttons with the Vols. It's great to see the whole team rallying on the sidelines after a touchdown and before the kickoff, but it's not all rah-rah stuff; he's handled Jonathan Crompton perfectly. When most of Knoxville was calling for his head, Kiffin stayed with Crompton but tweaked his playcalling to suit Crompton's game. Look at it this way--people in my section were disappointed Saturday when Crompton only went 12-24 for 140 yards, 2 TD, and most importantly, 0 INT. In the rain. If he had played that game at most points in the past season and a half, it would have been considered a minor miracle.

Plus the man has some serious stones, which only motivates th players more.

At this point, we should be favored in at least three of our last four games, and if we beat Ole Miss, we'll have a great shot at 8-4, second in the East, and fourth in the SEC overall. From a team that lost to Wyoming last year. That ain't bad.

Dennis

Thanks, TF. By the way, sorry about Vandy...looks like you picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue and to buy season tickets (how do you give up 56 points--and 28 straight--to a team running the option?).

As for the Vols, I'm really liking what I see from Kiffin's crew. There's a different energy on the sidelines, it bleeds into the stands, and the players get to feed back off of the fans' energy. Like Saturday night--just about everybody in Knoxville knew the team was going to wear black jerseys, but when the team ran out everybody still went nuts; people were high-fiving in the stands based on jerseys. Even though I still don't think that the white helmet-black jersey-orange pants color combination worked all that well, it was still a crazy atmosphere.

Even if it's by accident (and I think at least some of it is), Kiffin seems to be pushing all the right buttons with the Vols. It's great to see the whole team rallying on the sidelines after a touchdown and before the kickoff, but it's not all rah-rah stuff; he's handled Jonathan Crompton perfectly. When most of Knoxville was calling for his head, Kiffin stayed with Crompton but tweaked his playcalling to suit Crompton's game. Look at it this way--people in my section were disappointed Saturday when Crompton only went 12-24 for 140 yards, 2 TD, and most importantly, 0 INT. In the rain. If he had played that game at most points in the past season and a half, it would have been considered a minor miracle.

Plus the man has some serious stones, which only motivates th players more.

At this point, we should be favored in at least three of our last four games, and if we beat Ole Miss, we'll have a great shot at 8-4, second in the East, and fourth in the SEC overall. From a team that lost to Wyoming last year. That ain't bad.

Dennis

Interesting! That's great progress Dennis. The schedule looks favorable for a good finish in Knoxville. It would be cool if they made the Music City Bowl here in Nashville.

Regarding Vandy - it almost feels like I'm watching the same team on Saturday and Sunday if you know what I mean. My wife gets such a kick out of that; but I'm glad she likes going to the games with me. It's been alot of fun watching the SEC and an ACC Team like Ga Tech. Vandy actually had a 31-28 lead on Ga Tech in the 3rd quarter but 2 turnovers deep in their own territory blew that game right open. They've got some really good Freshman RBs - one just tied an SEC season record for returning 3 kickoffs for a TD. When Vandy's defense isn't being put in bad positions from the offense, they've actually been fun to watch at times.

I don't think I'd mind it at all if Eric Berry continued to wear some orange and white at the next level. I even like Hardesty in one of the mid rounds. Anyway, enjoy the rest of the season. I'll try to pop in shoot the breeze on more uplifting subjects like college football. Take care...

- Tom F.

Archived