THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner in the Tunnel

vdogrowz

Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

"I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

Did we mention players and coaches?

Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

"I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

Did we mention players and coaches?

Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

Just because the owner was pissed at halftime or whatever, let's not assume a major housecleaning is going to take place during the bye week.

I'm glad he's pissed. I'm glad he's showing something emotionally.

But make no mistake, he's going to see it through with Mangini. Mangini will not be fired in the bye week and he won't be let go after the season either. He's going to be given a fair shot to have another draft and to continue to build the roster.

Just because the owner was pissed at halftime or whatever, let's not assume a major housecleaning is going to take place during the bye week.

I'm glad he's pissed. I'm glad he's showing something emotionally.

But make no mistake, he's going to see it through with Mangini. Mangini will not be fired in the bye week and he won't be let go after the season either. He's going to be given a fair shot to have another draft and to continue to build the roster.

You sure about that, pal? Mangini punched his damn ticket when he stuck with Anderson.

Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

I wont believe it until i see it lerner is a gutless spineless silverspoon he likely wont do anything at the end of the season let alone the bye week...just wishful thinking folks we are likely stuck with this POS coach while ryan would be the likely fan favorite coach with a clevelander like tough guy attitude and a way of getting shitty players to play for him ryan is the guy that would turn this club around or at minimal keep the fanbase entertained with tough creative football.......

I'm sure Lerner is just as pissed as all of us after watching this game.

Once he takes the emotion out of it and talks to Mangini, he will once again have to learn about the massive house-cleaning done in the off season (27 new players, I think). Mangini will remind him that we have 12 draft picks next April....then Lerner will hopefully remind Mangini he better not blow the draft in 2010.

We can't even string three first downs together on a drive, it's time for a change at offensive coordinator. What's Lindy Infante up to these days? Maybe Bernie can find him, or take it over himself.

Our talent isn't going to get better, but new schemes on "O" might produce something positive.

I cannot imagine pulling the plug on Mangini after 8 games...but maybe he does. Only Randy knows for sure. I will be shocked if Anderson starts the monday night game against Baltimore though.

Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. :)

It's not necessarily a matter of spending millions of dollars, Larry. I believe - somewhere deep down - some common sense or rudimentary intelligence comes into play. I believe we are dealing with a dumb David Model but that is another post for another time.

Lerner may or may not get angry because he spends all those dollars but the $Billion TV contract and franchise appreciation isn't too hard to take.

In short, I believe the owner is a numb skull.

it's good to know that lerner actually does give a damn and it isn't just about money. this changes my opinion of him as an owner but not as a decision maker. i am still against the mangini hiring and want him gone. it's good to know that lerner is at least human though.

If I wasn't dying inside enough already -

"Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

"The answer is soul-searching."

Can anyone imagine any other owner or GM in the NFL (maybe in history) telling their fans that he is going to "soul search" and get back to them later??

It's not necessarily a matter of spending millions of dollars, Larry. I believe - somewhere deep down - some common sense or rudimentary intelligence comes into play. I believe we are dealing with a dumb David Model but that is another post for another time.

Lerner may or may not get angry because he spends all those dollars but the $Billion TV contract and franchise appreciation isn't too hard to take.

In short, I believe the owner is a numb skull.

He may be John, but really? Aston Villa seems to be doing at least mediocre. Dan Snyder ain't exactly a genius in my book, neither is Mike Brown. Al Davis should be declared legally dead, Ralph Wilson ain't far behind. Lerner sure don't have the lock on stupidity.

If I wasn't dying inside already I'd be ROTFLMAO over this -

"Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

"The answer is soul-searching."

Will he be willing to admit he made a huge mistake hiring Mangini? Stay tuned folks.

Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. :)

I know that we're getting blown out and the offense is in shambles...I would think that's how he saves the rest of the season for himself, maybe it's Dabol who is let go, but then who calls the plays?

I know that we're getting blown out and the offense is in shambles...I would think that's how he saves the rest of the season for himself, maybe it's Dabol who is let go, but then who calls the plays?

I'm also thinking Dabol's history

As far as calling plays? This guys been so bad ,anybody would be an upgrade,but my guess would be Carl Smith

It really is too late now for the offense now. I hate to say it but the way we are even Daunte Stallworth seems like a major upgrade in WR position ! Mangini just blew up what little talent we had. I have only one question. Is JJ still around and can he still play enough to be a stop gap one year solution ? Our passing game passed away !!!!

I've been hearing fire the OC, bench the QB and fire the Head Coach since 1999.

Guess what happens when you have the WRONG business owner? The people you replace all those other scapegoats with don't end up looking any different than the previous ones. That being the case, we're partying like it's 1999.

I lost count of how many QBs were going to upgrade the previous starter. I'm certain it rivals how many new offensive coordinators were going to upgrade the previous ones though.

At what point do we conceptualize there isn't 1 easy fix for an atrocious ownership that's pretending to act in the best interest of the fans in Cleveland.

Folks, there's more to this than telling me Randy opens his wallet to pay high salaries. It's not like Cleveland fans aren't fattening that wallet and inheritance. What he doesn't do is place the RIGHT priority on the Cleveland Browns. The FREAKIN lip service should have ended 4 years ago and he should have invested the time to ask a management WHO is going to score TDs for this team. Something THAT simple for his businnes that doesn't have 1 RB in 2009 with a rushing TD or 1 WR in his business with a TD reception. If I didn't see Derek Anderson throwing almost 30 TD pases in 2007 - or Quinn struggling to get our offense past the 50 yard line in the first 10 quarters of football - I'd put more stock in everything is gonna change for ther better the split second Dumb Ass takes a seat.

I've tried to get excited for EVERY game. Before today's game - I thought I better do a Flugel's Keys to the Game today so I could help others try to find some positives to get excited about. I centered all my excitement around running the ball and saw some great holes in replays today that didn't disappoint me. Do you know - I couldn't bring myself to mention 1 legitimate receiving weapon we have on this roster that I was excited about watching? This might be the worst set of TEs and WRs I've ever seen makign at least 6 digit salaries in Cleveland.

Folks, if we don't have the RIGHT owner - what makes you think firing Mangini means Lerner will hire the right Head Coach & GM tandem all of a sudden? That's the freakin problem! He's telling people 10 years into it that he WANTS to run a better business and he's open to suggestions? Really Randy? How about you only owning 1 professional Sports franchise on THIS side of the Atlantic Ocean? This franchise should be owned by someone that makes it their #1 passion. I've never gotten the sense that Randy makes the Browns even close to top priority or he'd be here demanding there's player in his business that can score TDs on Sunday. He's had quite a bit of time to learn about the draft and how personnel is scouted and evaluated. How much do you think the Glazers knew about football when they bought the Tampa Bay Bucs? Do they have a Superbowl Championship to their name today? Guess what????? It doesn't matter if our line opens HUGE holes or which QB starts because we don't have anyone employed that has proven they can score NFL TDs with any degree of consistency.

- Tom F.

I hope he didn't do this because he is trying to show the fans that he cares.

You can talk a lot about play calling but it comes down to execution, winning your battles on every play. Was watching a game yesterday where the colts running back threw a long option pass. "What a great play call" Well if the ball had been underthrown or the running back was hit as he threw the ball it would have been considered a bad play call. The difference between a lot of productive and non productive plays is execution

It really is too late now for the offense now. I hate to say it but the way we are even Daunte Stallworth seems like a major upgrade in WR position ! Mangini just blew up what little talent we had. I have only one question. Is JJ still around and can he still play enough to be a stop gap one year solution ? Our passing game passed away !!!!

Marvin Harrison IS still around with alot less health issues. Guess what we'd have to give up to get Harrison? Nobody!

That said, I'm watching a bunch of guys that can't run good routes or get speration on the rare occasions our QB can get the ball to the them. This is the worst passing game I've seen the browns have since i started breathing 45 years ago. If it was as simple as yanking Dumb Ass, my 2010 salary we would have accomplished somethign during the 1st 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I was trying to count how many times Quinn led us past the 50 yard line and it was pathetic even when he completed all those 2 yard passes on 3rd and 7. When you go 6 of 8 and the chains don't move once - HOW GOOD are you really doing?

- Tom F. (Our owner doesn't know why we drafted Quinn so we could train another QB instead for 3 years of inevitable QB controversy. Don't blame the Coach or the OC - blame the owner that doesn't know why he's paying 2 QBs starting pay in successive seasons his team isn't winning)

He may be John, but really? Aston Villa seems to be doing at least mediocre. Dan Snyder ain't exactly a genius in my book, neither is Mike Brown. Al Davis should be declared legally dead, Ralph Wilson ain't far behind. Lerner sure don't have the lock on stupidity.

OK, Larry, throw in David..............I mean, Randy into the mix of guys you identified.

Think back to 1996 - 1999, is this what you hoped for - an owner in the bottom 10% in the capability department?

What has he done, Stan, to make you believe otherwise?

He had a lot of business fall on his lap after daddy died and he has held his own. So, the Browns are an embarrassment? I bet you that the Browns are less than 10% of his families wealth. He's now embarrassed at cocktail parties so he has to clean up this little side business. But stupid? no.

Why and how can anyone get pissed, these tards put me to sleep every sunday.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I was pissed because we wasted a decent defensive effort.

Even knowing that we are offensive on offense, and our defense has resembled a sieve most of the season, it was a winnable game.

He had a lot of business fall on his lap after daddy died and he has held his own. So, the Browns are an embarrassment? I bet you that the Browns are less than 10% of his families wealth. He's now embarrassed at cocktail parties so he has to clean up this little side business. But stupid? no.

You didn't answer my question, Stan, but that is OK. It was kind of rhetorical any way.

The Browns are worth about $1B. That is far more than the family's net worth. But those are side issues.

He SHOULD be embarrassed and maybe, just maybe that will motivate him to reevaluate his entire organization. Not sure he is bright enough to do that or hire the right people.

Sometimes people are just plumb lucky to be born into a rich family.

At best, I consider him to be on par with David Modell. Just MHO, though.

Archived