THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns owner Randy Lerner says Mangini's job safe for now, but team will add 'serious, credible' leader

flipflop

Thanks FF. How could an owner be SO FAR removed from understanding what's going on in his own business? Red flag? I wish the NFL Commish would tell this guy if you want to REMAIN an NFL owner - you need to sell your pro Soccer team over seas or sell your franchise to someone that would be willing make the Browns a BIGGER priority than you've made them to this point. I'm not at all impressed. I don't care if he OPENS his wallet to pay high salaries because Cleveland fans have stuffed that wallet full of profits.

We're just reliving too many ugly dejavues to deem this guy as an acceptable owner for such a storied franchise.

Folks, "I'm gonna" is just a mask for "I still haven't." Actions speak louder than words and we're on our 11 consecutive season of that family ownership without a single playoff win.

- Tom F.

Lerner is about as mysterious as they come..then you hear stories floating around that he has an autocratic management style (ie his way or the highway) and has been a lot more involved in day to day running of both villa and the browns than most of us have been led to believe.

CHICAGO -- Randy Lerner admitted Sunday that he's "sick about" the 1-7 Browns -- but not enough to fire coach Eric Mangini during the upcoming bye week.

When asked specifically if he'd make a coaching change, the Browns owner said no.

"I think I should evaluate me," he said, only half-jokingly.

He indicated that he wasn't ready to give up on Mangini despite being obviously distraught about the state of the team. But he did strongly indicate that it's time for him to bring in a football authority who can help straighten out this mess.

"There's absolutely no question about that," he said. "The highest priority that I have is a strong, credible, serious leader within the building to guide decisions in a far more conspicuous, open transparent way. I can maybe defend decisions by saying I've sought advice and I've brought people in, and we've gone to see people -- and I think my highest priority is to have a stable figure that represents the voice that explains the decisions."

Exactly what he means by that, he didn't really say. But it sounded as if he's prepared to hire a team president to try and get this team on track. He's already brought former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar on as "another pair of eyes," but didn't respond when asked if Kosar could be the "serious leader" to "guide decisions."

Ideally, Lerner said his person would be someone that's been groomed to do the job and has a vast amount of experience. He said the person may or may not already work for the Browns.

During Sunday's 30-6 loss to the Bears, Lerner stood watching from the tunnel between the field and the locker room with equal parts disgust and anger written on his face.

He admitted that the whole quarterback fiasco "doesn't look sensible." As to why the Browns have been so reluctant to play Brady Quinn, he said "I haven't been told about anything."

There's no question he's fed up. There's also no question he doesn't really know exactly what to do about it.

"We need as many credible, serious eyes and ears assessing this situation as is possible," he said.

Lerner said part of the problem is that he thought he was on the right track when he hired former General Manager Phil Savage in 2005. He said he thought the organization would be in great shape after four years of Savage acquiring talent and re-organizing the operation. Instead, it wound up lacking all of the things he thought he was getting from Savage and Romeo Crennel: great drafting, coaching, and an overall philosophy and direction.

Now, it seems he's questioning his decision to hire Mangini -- which came almost without any consideration to any other coach or general manager. Part of him seems to think that Mangini deserves more time to implement his program and acquire talent. The other part seems to wonder if he made a mistake and should cut his losses.

Problem is, he's still in the midst of paying the $20 million to Savage and Crennel owed when he fired them after last season. If he fires Mangini and Kokinis, he'll be on the hook for many millions more.

Surely the news that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher might return to coaching next year has to intrigue him. Lerner tried to lure him out of the television business after last season and couldn't. That's when he turned to Mangini.

Meanwhile, Mangini also will be re-evaluating everything during the bye week, including coaching and personnel.

Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

"The answer is soul-searching."

He admitted that the whole quarterback fiasco "doesn't look sensible." As to why the Browns have been so reluctant to play Brady Quinn, he said "I haven't been told about anything."

"The answer is soul-searching."

Any owner that doesn't show enough interest in the franchise Qb question from the day the kid is drafted to the timetable of when he's ready to start to which QB gives us the best chance to win now - had better do some serious soul searching as to WHY he owns an NFL franchise in the first place. Man, there's Steeler fans that know our QB situation better than our owner and that ain't good unless of course you're a Steeler fan. They even want us to be better than pathetic.

I see another Peter Angelos that will continue to make money hand over fist without expressing any such urgency to WIN a post season game. Talk is cheap.

I'm so sick of being told I shouldn't expect the Cleveland Browns to field a team that can win enough games to qualify for the playoffs. I'm on my 11 consecutive year of pretending we're an expansion team for God sakes.

- Tom F.

Archived