THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner's Next FO Hire???

Flugel

You can be the nicest guy in the world or once the best player on the planet but there's absolutely no evidence it makes you the GM to save the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. THIS is why I cringe if Lerner listens to fans. A TON of people that told me the knee jerk to lure Butch away from college assured me he'd be perfect because he took a Miami COLLEGE team from the depths of NCAA Probation and WON a share of the Big East Title while they still weren't able to give out scholarships and appear in Bowl Games. Guess who became the FIRST people to complain about him? I still remember one of our legends that passed away FatDaddy telling me he was a great hire. When Butch was ONLY coaching - we turned around 5-27 caliber to 7-9 (with 2 OT losses) and then 9-7 with playoffs the next year. However, that's when the ego kicked in and Butch demanded GM powers he wasn't ready for. NOW we just learned from Solon's Mike Lombardi article this is what is REALLY going on with Mangini right?

I still like Butch and wish we hired the Same real GM that we still need today....thought Butch did well here...save the fking holcomb BS...he will turn UNC into a powerhouse in football!

You can be the nicest guy in the world or once the best player on the planet but there's absolutely no evidence it makes you the GM to save the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. THIS is why I cringe if Lerner listens to fans. A TON of people that told me the knee jerk to lure Butch away from college assured me he'd be perfect because he took a Miami COLLEGE team from the depths of NCAA Probation and WON a share of the Big East Title while they still weren't able to give out scholarships and appear in Bowl Games. Guess who became the FIRST people to complain about him? I still remember one of our legends that passed away FatDaddy telling me he was a great hire. When Butch was ONLY coaching - we turned around 5-27 caliber to 7-9 (with 2 OT losses) and then 9-7 with playoffs the next year. However, that's when the ego kicked in and Butch demanded GM powers he wasn't ready for. NOW we just learned from Solon's Mike Lombardi article this is what is REALLY going on with Mangini right?

- Flugel

I still like Butch and wish we hired the Same real GM that we still need today....thought Butch did well here...save the fking holcomb BS...he will turn UNC into a powerhouse in football!

- Solon

There's no doubt about it when it comes to JUST coaching - Butch turned 5-27 into playoffs within 2 years. Non-competitive to competitive. However, he got that mentality that if you want me to cook the food - you better let me shop for it first. That's when ripe went to ferment at warped speed. He didn't do as well in the Pro Football grocery stores as he did in the college scholarship market. He also pissed off every scout that worked their tails off on the road all season when he didn't read ANY of their reports and took Garard Warren ahead of all the research. Like Mike Holmgren, her learned there's a whole lot more to this than he had ever fathomed. Another SIDE of that is you FAVOR your choices so when you're telling an entire team to hustle, be on time and show heart - you let your prize draft pick do his own thing. That goes over like a fart in church and the rest is inevitable.

I don't have anything against Butch when it comes to coaching. As for the rest of the drama with the GM and ego, that's on the OWNER that needed to know Butch wasn't ready for the GM stuff. This Eric Mangini thing almost sounds like history repeating itself. As a Head Coach - I still think he can succeed if he's ONLY coaching and we get more scoring weapons employed here. What worries me is the perception of "The Secret" around the league and what a chaotic front office Cleveland has. We can forget any REAL free agents of value in 2010 unless of course the Jets have any.

I'm just thinking out loud this week not really sure how accurate I am. I appreciate those of you willing to partake in the discussion. If you catch me in need of some straightening out - run it!

- Tom F.

Archived