THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerners thought process on hiring Eric Mangini

ATENEARS

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner says Eric Mangini was the 'best football man' available

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

By Mike Starkey

January 08, 2009, 5:05PM

Randy LernerBEREA -- Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner set out to hire the "best football man" available, and that's why he picked Eric Mangini as his new coach.

Speaking via telephone from New York this afternoon, Lerner said he wasn't worried about hiring a coach before a general manager, that he hired Mangini first because "it was a time-sensitive matter."

Lerner wanted Mangini in place so the coach could get a jump on hiring a staff. Lerner believes that gives the Browns an edge, because other teams are still looking for head coaches. Lerner believes the Browns were hampered in the past when a coach was hired late and had few viable options for coordinators and assistants, as most had been hired elsewhere.

What about the general manager?

Lerner said he still plans to talk to Baltimore Ravens Player Personnel Director George Kokinis about the job. While there are reports that Philadelphia Eagles GM Tom Heckert has dropped out, Lerner said, "That may not be true. I think he just wants to back off a bit and think about things."

Lerner still would like to talk to Heckert.

"There is not as much of a rush to get a GM, because his main responsibilities are putting together the draft and (NFL) free agency,'" said Lerner. "My goal is to get the right GM to work with the coach. The key is the right guys working together and respecting each other."

Lerner said that he "checked out" Mangini's history of dealing with the front office in New York, and there were no serious problems between the coach and general manager. He said he is confident that Mangini will work well with the new GM.

Lerner said Mangini was the clear-cut favorite to be the head coach. The owner did not want to take the risk of hiring an assistant who had never been a head coach before.

"Having head coaching experience was critical," said Lerner. "Eric had winning records in two of his three seasons with the Jets. He is a coach who brings in a system and a culture and a set of rules. He will hold players accountable."

Lerner said he had "no idea" Mangini would be fired until he heard from some media members the Monday after the regular season when he was getting ready to announce the firing of Romeo Crennel. Lerner had just been told that weekend that Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren -- his two top choices -- had no interest in coaching in 2009.

So he was open for suggestions, especially since he had narrowed his field to men with head coaching experience.

"Eric has a wide range of that," he said. "He has worked for coaches such as Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. He has been around successful teams. But he is not a mimic of someone else ... he has been taking the bits and pieces of what he has learned and putting them together into his own system."

Lerner said Mangini was at the "sweet spot" of his career, being only 37 yet already having three years experience as a head coach. Mangini is young enough to learn from his mistakes in New York, and has the energy to prove himself as effective.

"Eric brings passion," said Lerner. "He can articulate the kind of team that he wants to have. He is a guy who pays attention to details. He has the background and the experience that I wanted in a coach."

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner says Eric Mangini was the 'best football man' available

best man available? he didn't even look at the top coaches available. mangini is a joke. i really want to see him do well, but i fear that he will fail like his predecessors .

best man available? he didn't even look at the top coaches available. mangini is a joke. i really want to see him do well, but i fear that he will fail like his predecessors .

If you are going to make statements such as "Mangini is a joke", please support the comment/opinion or I would rather not even read it.

How is one who doesn't feel that there is enough evidence to declare him 'a Joke' supposed to rebutt that? Should we type, "No he's not'?

Thanks for the "reminder" posts. I was thinking this board, in general agreed with the hires, and we were happy that Lerner was doing his due diligence.

These articles are good reminders as to why we thought that. Not that they were the right decisions, but they did make sense at the time.

Being an armchair or keyboard quarterback is easy.

At first Mangini seemed like a good hire but when you take a closer look at his career and what kind of experience he brings... Not so good a hire. When he started ripping down the history and memorabilia, it should have been a warning flag to watch this guy, he has an ego problem. When he started up a QB controversy AGAIN, that should have been a warning flag. When he continued that controversy up till the first game of the season, that should have been a very large flag that he had no idea how to create team chemistry. When he benched Quinn after saying he had the season and was the best QB to lead the team, traded away some of the best talent on the team...he should have been fired right then on the spot.

As a fan who would love to see the browns return to a competitive team again, I hope that Lerner is really asking himself... what is the game plan here and who can I hire as a HC that will bring a long road of proven experience and ability to win in the NFL.

And today Randy says he needs to do some soul searching.

When Mangini was hired, Randy and many fans thought he would bring the blue collar attitude to Cleveland, He would make the team work hard and that he would continue and improve where RAC had left. But he sadly blew away what little was built to start work from ground up. Maybe he did not realize that the fans were sick of rebuilding ever so often.

Mangini when he got rid of the "prima donnas" for draft picks never bothered to get someone to fill in their shoes through Free Agency too. So we have lost KW2, BE and JJ and who we have filling in their shoes are just irrelevant. Now our QB's dont have anyone good to throw too. Talking of QB's Mangini mucked up there too .... So with no QB, no WRs or TEs and a rookie + uncertain OC our offense is playing just how it should - putrid.

With many draft picks next year too could be a filling the holes and let the rookie learn year. Plus i do suspect Manginis success cos his OC in NYJ was Bill Callahan and Mangini sadly could not bring him here and he seems clueless here. So who do we have in Mangini ?

At first Mangini seemed like a good hire but when you take a closer look at his career and what kind of experience he brings... Not so good a hire. When he started ripping down the history and memorabilia, it should have been a warning flag to watch this guy, he has an ego problem. When he started up a QB controversy AGAIN, that should have been a warning flag. When he continued that controversy up till the first game of the season, that should have been a very large flag that he had no idea how to create team chemistry. When he benched Quinn after saying he had the season and was the best QB to lead the team, traded away some of the best talent on the team...he should have been fired right then on the spot.

As a fan who would love to see the browns return to a competitive team again, I hope that Lerner is really asking himself... what is the game plan here and who can I hire as a HC that will bring a long road of proven experience and ability to win in the NFL.

Fag of Steel, again STFU. Cowher botched the QB decisions with the Steelers for years (O'Donnel, Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Maddox). Mangini got this shit handed to him upon taking this job, and inherited an even worst defensive situation.

You're high and mighty attitude as if Steeler fans know better, is a freaking joke. You guys have been able to ride a defensive mentality that has carried you through the peaks-n-valleys, we would have too (see the Ravens). You have just as much of no clue about this (exspansion, building from scratch) shit as the rest of us.

I wonder if they were really "premadonnas" or just sick of the crap going on behind closed doors. The real problem I had with Mangini trading these players away was that he got so little in return. A few later round draft picks? If he stays the coach he better learn to draft well because what he is doing makes no sense.

Fag of Steel, again STFU. Cowher botched the QB decisions with the Steelers for years (O'Donnel, Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Maddox). Mangini got this shit handed to him upon taking this job, and inherited an even worst defensive situation.

You're high and mighty attitude as if Steeler fans know better, is a freaking joke. You guys have been able to ride a defensive mentality that has carried you through the peaks-n-valleys, we would have too (see the Ravens). You have just as much of no clue about this (exspansion, building from scratch) shit as the rest of us.

I agree. I wanted Cowher fired for years. He was a very good season long coach but sucked in the post season. The only reason we won a Superbowl with him is because he let go of the reins in the playoffs and went away from his game plan.

As far as his decisions on the QB. He got us to the playoffs with these guys more than almost any coach in the nfl. His problem in the post season was the game plan, not the QBs.

Mangini got this shit handed too him? He created the problem. He had a clear choice as a QB in Brady Quinn and should have traded DA to anyone that would have given him a draft pick and worked on the team surrounding the QB.

I have never acted like STEELERS fans know better but I know I sure as hell did. I have been telling you the same thing since the very first pre-season game. You just kept saying that DA was the man, DA was the man, and got all bent out of shape because people were not agreeing with you. Really most of the NFL knew that Mangini was making big mistakes. It was very evident. Calm down and just talk some football. It's not like I'm putting you guys down. I actually do care what your team does.

If you are going to make statements such as "Mangini is a joke", please support the comment/opinion or I would rather not even read it.

How is one who doesn't feel that there is enough evidence to declare him 'a Joke' supposed to rebutt that? Should we type, "No he's not'?

sorry, here is what i should have said: mangini's way of doing things is a joke.

he stock piles draft picks and only plays them when starters get hurt

he continuously makes trades with his former team and brings in his former scrubs to be our present scrubs

he keeps everything in practice and in the office secret like its the launch codes to missiles

he goes back on his own word and doesn't even acknowledge that he is doing so

he is one of the most stubborn people i have ever seen and has this "me vs. everyone" complex that i just don't get

he is no good rat on his mentor (and butt buddy?) bill belichick

he withholds injury information from the league and takes no blame for it

i hope that clears a few things up for everyone. i have never been a mangini supporter and probably never will be. i just hate it when people run to a guy's defense when he has done nothing to deserve it.

this is not an attack on the team that mangini inherited. there is nothing he can do about that. i don't blame him for phil and romeo's mistakes. however everything listed above are things that he did and should be held accountable for. and as always: GO BROWNS!

he stock piles draft picks and only plays them when starters get hurt.

You can't play a draft pick you haven't selected yet. He's played Mack every snap, and mostly every other draftee that isn't injured. It is also only 8 games into his first season, a little premature on this aren't ya? Especially coming off a Crennel era where he definately didn't play the rookies.

he continuously makes trades with his former team and brings in his former scrubs to be our present scrubs.

Everyone does this. Remember Bill B bringing in Pepper Johnson? He's trying to teach a new system and what better way to fill roles than with guys who already know the terminology and system?

he keeps everything in practice and in the office secret like its the launch codes to missiles.

So what? Do you expect him to run to TheBrownsBoard or Mary Kay everytime he has a thought? I don't want to know the inside scoop, I could care less about this competition to see who can be the first to report a rumor. Let the guy have some breathing room before you absorb all of this negative local medai bullshit. Unfortunately Mangini carries some national bais from pissing in someone's cheerio's in NY. I could give a ratass, no one still like Bellichick to this day.

he goes back on his own word and doesn't even acknowledge that he is doing so.

These are supportive examples, they are examples in need of more support.

he is one of the most stubborn people i have ever seen and has this "me vs. everyone" complex that i just don't get.

You base this off some interviews? And even if so, so what? Do you want him to be happy go-lucky and negative about what he believes? I wouldn't last ten minutes as a major league coach because I'd tell the media off from the word 'go'.

he is no good rat on his mentor (and butt buddy?) bill belichick.

So what? That's competition.

he withholds injury information from the league and takes no blame for it.

So what? I think having to declare a players injury to the point that they do today is stupid and pointless except for the bookies who wager on these games. Brett Farve still played as the leagues leading iron-man, does declaring an injury really matter in the eyes of a fan?

i hope that clears a few things up for everyone. i have never been a mangini supporter and probably never will be. i just hate it when people run to a guy's defense when he has done nothing to deserve it.

It clears a lot up for me. I'm a bigger supporter of Mangini after reading a few of those hollow cries, than I was before I opened this thread.

also stan, i can't send anyone a pm. is this happening to anyone else? i didn't know who to contact to them and even if i did, i obviously couldn't send them a message.

There is no more PM system. Other sites were using our PM system to spam.

I have never acted like STEELERS fans know better but I know I sure as hell did. I have been telling you the same thing since the very first pre-season game. You just kept saying that DA was the man, DA was the man, and got all bent out of shape because people were not agreeing with you. Really most of the NFL knew that Mangini was making big mistakes. It was very evident. Calm down and just talk some football. It's not like I'm putting you guys down. I actually do care what your team does.

Well, we have a couple of Jets fans that hang with us on most Sundays (for the wine more than the Browns) and they were unanimous we had made a big mistake hiring Mangini. At this point, I have to think they're right.

What gets me.....(and I know it was a year before).....but Ken Whisenhunt has turned a ship around in Arizona (grant you its still in progress). He's really changed the culture of that team.

Imagine if the Browns could have hired him instead of giving Crennell an extension.

I will not call for Eric's head until the end of the season next year (pending the season record and or team progress).

I dont think there is coach out there that could have had this team in the play offs this year regardless of the trades that were made.

The NFL is a business period. With any leadership change there is a learning/process curve.

I think the Browns are now on the lower swoop of that curve and I am going to hang in there.

The draft will piss a bunch of people off as well I am sure!

The Browns only have so much money. The browns are not going to get nor will they pay 11 premium play makers!

Eric is learning the hard way about Cleveland Browns passion and how many people actually have a noose in this town. You all know Eric wants a winning team. His career depends on it! Eric knows football and may be ok (I cant help but think of how Bill and Marty were both ran out of this town) Eric is human and will make mistakes. I feel his biggest mistake to date is the hiring of his O coordinator Daboll and continuing to support DA after he failed to step up after he gave him full support loss after loss. He just looks like a dumb ass supporting these guys to a fault!

Archived