THE BROWNS BOARD

Perplexing situation

Canton Mike

1) We are starting 8-9 "sub" caliber players on each side of the ball. Those "subs" under Mangini (for the most part) are better that we had last year, BUT we should hope that only 1 or 2 subs start in any game due to injury. Ours start because we have very few "starter" caliber playmakers. Did this regime sign/draft to build a "depth" base & plan to go after "starter" caliber players this coming free agency/draft period?

2) Starting with the handling of the QB situation, to the "water" fines, to hiring a rookie O/Coordinator when we had 1 proven POOR QB & another who only toted a clipboard in 3 years, no valid running game, poor and/or inexperienced receivers, & literally NO offense the 2nd half of last season, has Mangini (AND Kokinis) lost any & all credibility he may have had? Even if his intentions were/may be good, keep in mind that coupled with the above, his "blowing the whistle" on Belichek has painted a very negative perception of Mangini in many NFL mindsets. I backed the guy before (still WILL if he's here), but I have to question whether ANY starting caliber free agent would come here while he is here. Can we really afford to chance that when we are in good shape cap-wise & draft-wise? We need IMMEDIATE starters & you MAY get 1 or 2 out of the draft (IF you're lucky).

3) I honestly feel the Brown's Head Coaching position (if a change is to be made) would be desirable due to the fact that next year's Coach would almost HAVE to exceed this year's record, BUT unless it is an established, successful Coach with the credibility of a Cowher or someone similar, they will play h*ll getting quality free agents to come here, thus further testing the patience of all us loyal fans. I'm within a month of 63 years old, saw the LAST Championship (1964, BEFORE Super Bowls), & pray I'll live to see another. No matter what, I'll be a fan.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that we are in a hole that will take time to climb out of.

Mike

I'm not so sure it will take a long time. Let's look at what we need the most and where to find it

We need starting RT If you want a starter he probably needs to be drafted in rounds 1-3. Free agency isn't a bad place to look for a starting RT

We need a running back bad. Jennings is a possibility, need him to get more playing time. There are later round guys who become good running backs later in the draft. But, you really need to draft someone in the 1st two rounds unless you know for sure about a smaller school guy. I want someone who can break tackles and doesn't go down when the other team yells at him

We need a QB. Find out what you have in all three guys before the season ends. If a QB is there who represents a good value take him. There are lower level options out there who might become starters. Get a veteran QB to hold the fort

We need a veteran receiver and have one coming back next year as hard as it is to type that

We need a TE. Gaines might satisfy this need but we should be able to find a late round guy or free agent to do this

We need at least one CB in the draft and I think bringing in a vet in free agency would be a good idea.

We need a head hunting safety that will give teams aligator arms. This would probably come from the draft, but if a veteran is available at a reasonable price then get him.

We might need one outside linebacker who can get to the QB. These guys are available after round 2, let's find one in the draft but let's take someone who played linebacker, even if it was at a small school.

We might need another inside linebacker and this could come from free agency or the draft.

The biggest problem is that we need a rush linebacker (maybe), QB, RB, CB. All of these are considered top skill positions. If we can fill two of these in free agency we have a decent chance of filling most holes in one off season.

It will all come down to the draft and free agency scouting departments. If these guys do a great job the browns can be much better next year. If they don't do a great job then it will take a long time.

I'm not so sure it will take a long time. Let's look at what we need the most and where to find it

We need starting RT If you want a starter he probably needs to be drafted in rounds 1-3. Free agency isn't a bad place to look for a starting RT

We need a running back bad. Jennings is a possibility, need him to get more playing time. There are later round guys who become good running backs later in the draft. But, you really need to draft someone in the 1st two rounds unless you know for sure about a smaller school guy. I want someone who can break tackles and doesn't go down when the other team yells at him

We need a QB. Find out what you have in all three guys before the season ends. If a QB is there who represents a good value take him. There are lower level options out there who might become starters. Get a veteran QB to hold the fort

We need a veteran receiver and have one coming back next year as hard as it is to type that

We need a TE. Gaines might satisfy this need but we should be able to find a late round guy or free agent to do this

We need at least one CB in the draft and I think bringing in a vet in free agency would be a good idea.

We need a head hunting safety that will give teams aligator arms. This would probably come from the draft, but if a veteran is available at a reasonable price then get him.

We might need one outside linebacker who can get to the QB. These guys are available after round 2, let's find one in the draft but let's take someone who played linebacker, even if it was at a small school.

We might need another inside linebacker and this could come from free agency or the draft.

The biggest problem is that we need a rush linebacker (maybe), QB, RB, CB. All of these are considered top skill positions. If we can fill two of these in free agency we have a decent chance of filling most holes in one off season.

It will all come down to the draft and free agency scouting departments. If these guys do a great job the browns can be much better next year. If they don't do a great job then it will take a long time.

The problem is that quality free agents can literally CHOOSE where they want to play. At this point, we won't attract any that are "top drawer". What player wants to walk into THIS situation? Draftees have no choice, but the draft is a crapshoot. That's why I maintain it will not be in the near future unless moves are made to re-establish credibility to the Browns.

Mike

Archived