THE BROWNS BOARD

An Update on Kellen and Braylon

ClevelandFanForLife

We all know that those picks we got for Kellen and Braylon are conditional and can become as high as second rounder for both picks. At the half way point, here is what their stats look like.

Kellen has caught 31 passes for 295 yards and 4 touchdowns. I don't know how many exactly he needs to catch in order to make that pick a second rounder but hopefully he's on his way. One thing I worry about is the Bucs benching him towards the end of the season because he is getting close. Kellen has taken off the end of the year before and would probably have no problem doing so again.

Braylon has caught 23 passes total (10 in Cleveland, 13 in New York). If I remember correctly, he needs 55 to make the third rounder we got for him a second rounder. Is this 55 total or just in New York. If it is in New York only then we are screwed. However if it is total catches on the year then we have a decent shot at reaching it. If only they counted dropped passes as catches he would have doubled 55.

So there it is: Kellen maybe on his way to giving us a second round pick and Braylon is probably going to fail us... again.

To stay competitive in this league, you NEED a combination both the draft AND free agency. I don't understand why people don't get this... It's actually proven... all free agency and no draft leaves us short of money and no future prospects... all draft leaves us with a bunch of prospects and no talent or leadership... You have to use both.

One other thing... the NFL is set up so teams can turn it around and be very competitive in 1-2 years... ex: dolphins, falcons, etc.. if a team is unable to turn it around in two years tops... then something is wrong.. most likely coaching/front office.. period. If you say, "lack of talent"... this is also directly reflected by coaching unable to develop players AND/OR the inability to get the correct players in place. This is NOT the NFL of 40 years ago... heck.. even 20 years ago...

Here is how it works.

The Winslow deal is set....we have a 5th this year...that won't change.

I have a little reservation here, so if it is conditional, it might move up one, but i don't think so...just plan on a 5th.

The Edwards deal is conditional because of this....the prior year the Jets traded with the Eagles for Lito Sheppard. They are scheduled to give up a 3rd or a 2nd depending on the conditions of that deal.

So, what Edwards does doesn't really matter. The Sheppard deal is the key. If the Jets have to give up a 2nd for Lito, we get the 3rd as the jets don't have another 2nd to give. If the Jets have to give up the 3rd for Sheppard, then we get the 2nd as they didn't have another 3rd at the time of the trade.

If you are going to watch anybody, watch Sheppard...and hope he doesn't do well enough to kick in the 2nd round condition, whatever that might be.

Archived