THE BROWNS BOARD

Good Article on Ohio.com

BrownsKidd

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/mcmanamon/2009...-world-turning/

1) I awoke to NPR this morning stating that the Browns released an "awkwardly worded statement" that General Manager George Kokinis was gone. Calling the statement awkward — it said Kokinis "is no longer actively with the organization" — would be like calling winter in Nome chilly. You read that statement and you wonder what it means.

2) Then coach Eric Mangini stands up in his news conference and says he won't talk about what happened with Kokinis other than to say "it didn't work out." So the one voice that the team has isn't taking questions about it. Next thing you know the Browns will wonder why there's so much speculation and rumor about what happened. Not addressing the situation smacks of cowardice. Leadership means standing up when things are tough (see Mark Shapiro discussing and addressing the firing of Eric Wedge). In this case, Mangini and the Browns sat down. The really frightening thing: Mangini kept saying "we" when talking about the organization and the team's future, as if to imply he would be part of it long-term. Guess we now know the subject of the next paranormal activity movie.

3) I don't know what happened that caused this to happen with Kokinis so suddenly. Randy Lerner obviously felt strong enough about something to act. I have heard that Kokinis worked in Cleveland the same way he did in Baltimore. He kept coaches hours, which means arrive early and stay late and sometimes sleep in the office. He had his scouts doing the same thing, and that didn't sit real well with all of them. He also worked quietly, behind the scenes. Kokinis was not a real public guy, though he's always been a good guy in my private dealings with him.

4) The way this went down, though, clearly makes it seem like Kokinis is taking the fall for a bad start. Mangini somehow continues in his job, yet the GM is fired? After the majority of players brought in were ex-Jets? After the quarterback situation was completely mishandled on the field? After all the garbage we've seen on the playing field? True or not, this clearly makes it look like Mangini sacrificed his friend to save his job. And the Browns statement and Mangini's nonexplanation do nothing to rectify that impression. As for Mangini calling Kokinis a friend … I can hardly wait to see what gifts they exchange this Christmas.

5) The flip side is that if Kokinis was simply not up to the job and the pressures of the job and losing got to him — a possibility — then Mangini was wrong to suggest him as GM and the Browns made a mistake picking him. Either way, Mangini does not come out of this well. Nor should he. He's overseeing a season of disastrous proportions.

6) Let's not forget, too, Mangini's history in New England. He wanted a head coaching job, and Bill Belichick asked him not to take one job — with the Jets. Belichick's thinking: The rivalry and feelings between the two teams were too intense for the friendship to continue. Any other team … Belichick said, he'd do anything he could to help him. Mangini took the Jets job anyway, and he knew he was getting it as the Patriots flew back from a playoff loss in Denver. So on the team plane, Mangini was recruiting coaches from Belichick's staff to join him in New York. When Belichick heard this, he was irate, and the next day locked Mangini out of the building. Once Mangini got to New York, Spygate followed. Now we have Kokinis recommended by Mangini, hired, and fired. Err … no longer actively involved.

7) One thing can't be debated: Kokinis waited to take the job with the Browns last January because he wanted it in his contract that he had final say over personnel. He got that. It seems quite obvious that once he got in the building, Mangini had final say over everything — including how Kokinis should act (he was not the same person he was in Baltimore), who parks where and the fact that the first floor should have plaster board covering up the cinder block. Not to mention moving the mural of the hall of famers that has never been placed in the lobby like the team said it would (though there are nice plaques with the names of the hall of famers).

8) Walking out of Solider Field on Sunday, I heard another writer from the Chicago area describe the game this way while talking on his cell phone: "Wasn't much of a game. The Bears played really bad, and the Browns are just horrible." Sums it up, doesn't it? The Bears had a day they'd like to forget, a day when they openly admitted they played down to the Browns level — and they won BY 24 POINTS.

9) What did Jamal Lewis mean when he said he "stuck his neck out" for the Browns? Two things: First is he is playing on a very painful ankle, one that required an offseason procedure and would sideline a lot of others players. Second is he stood up for the new regime, and did what he could to get everyone on the team to "buy in." Now he sees what's happening, and he's rightly disgusted.

10) There's no sense hiding from another reality: The majority of the players cannot stand playing for Mangini. Yes, there is a small group that believes in him, and most are the guys he brought in from New York. But others simply don't like him. Because he belittles them in meetings, beats them down mentally and has no clear plan to win a game. Anyone who believes that this team believes in this coach is not looking at the reality on the field. Too, the players look at how he says everyone should be treated the same and they see that Mangini treats employees in the building shabbily and they think "hypocrite." As one league insider very knowledgeable in the workings of this and any team said: "That situation there will get 100 times worse before it even starts to get better."

good article. basically what kokinas being fired means is that mangini isn't gong anywhere. if lerner really blamed him, he would be gone by now. he is blaming kokinas (wrongfully in my opinion) and is sticking with mangini. i am still a firm believer in the idea that as long as mangini is the coach, this team will go nowhere.

good article. basically what kokinas being fired means is that mangini isn't gong anywhere. if lerner really blamed him, he would be gone by now. he is blaming kokinas (wrongfully in my opinion) and is sticking with mangini. i am still a firm believer in the idea that as long as mangini is the coach, this team will go nowhere.

I was listening to Rizzo on the way into work this morning and he had Dawg Pound Mike on with another guy. They had just come from the meeting with Lerner. Very positive they said. Talked well of Lerner. And actually, Rizzo brought up the point of how many other owners would meet a fan? True. They said that Lerner is taking full responsibility for what is going and wishes if he could wave a magic wand and fix it he could. (meaning that he must realize there must have been mistakes made)

They said that they briefly talked about Kokinas, but also made it sound as if Lerner is not as happy with Mangini as we might think. I think the reigns will be coming in on Mangini. Nothing else was said in regards to Mangini, other than reading into Lerners words made it sound as if Lerner is not happy at all.

More and more I read and learn, the more I am ready to just say screw it, get rid of Mangini now. Even yesterday I was willing to give this guy some time. But the more and more I read about Mangina, the more and more I don't like this guy at all. I think his EGO is actually bigger than his gut and mine combined. I think all he cares about is himself his image in front other people. I would not be surprised to see Mangini let go at the end of the year. Sad really, that it would need to happen again, but there are way to many top notch coaches out there that are proven winners. Get this troll Mangina, outta here.

I don't know about that.

As the excellent article noted, many of the personnel moves have Mangnini's fingerprints on them as well, and his coaching and player management skills are clearly suspect.

I doubt that players around the league weren't telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland" because of Kokinis.

If the "consultant" is serious about doing his job and there's an opportunity to upgrade at Head Coach I expect they'll do exactly that.

My only beef with the article is the Subtitle. First and 10?

More like 4th and 10 with the Browns. I think there are some teams in the league who's defenses have scored more TDs than the Browns offense.

Archived