THE BROWNS BOARD

Schottenheimer not interested in GM role

ballpeen

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...owns-GM-vacancy

Marty Schottenheimer isn't interested in the Cleveland Browns' general manager vacancy.

The former Browns coach made that point abundantly clear during his NFL Sirius radio show.

“I don’t even see that kind of a role for me," Schottenheimer said today. "I’m not familiar enough with what they have in terms of their front office. Let somebody else do that. It’s really a very unusual circumstance and it’s going to take some dramatic measures in my mind to be able to get the thing headed in the right direction.

“The bottom line for them right now is they don’t have a real good football team. They’re not playing even to the level that the talent is expressed and it’s going to be a very, very difficult circumstance. The important thing in my view is very simply this: You cannot lose your football team. And dashing around doing all these things that are on the periphery don’t serve any useful purpose at this point in time. You want to resolve issues like this? Let the thing play out, gather information as you go."

After the dismissal of general manager George Kokinis, the Browns seem unlikely to hire a general manager immediately.

Yet, you never can tell what the Browns might do next when it comes to unpredictable owner Randy Lerner.

“We recognize the decision for them from the standpoint of a playoff berth is virtually impossible for them to achieve," Schottenheimer said. "You need to leave some sense of stability at least through this season because players that are there signed to long term contracts are thinking, ‘What in the world is going on here?’

"You worry about the reaction of your players and, believe me, let’s not make any mistake about this: That feeling that a player has about his organization is an integral part of their ability to perform at the highest level.”

Lerner is not capable of landing a big name GM or even an extremely talented coach for the browns...he has to have a horrible reputation amongst the backbiting nfl elites..until he sells the team or changes the way he runs things to a rooney or modell type model the browns are doomed to failure..

And randy is not capable of running things like a real football man so we are completely doomed unless randy gets lucky and grabs a intellectual football guru newbie that grows up fast...

Lerner is not capable of landing a big name GM or even an extremely talented coach for the browns...he has to have a horrible reputation amongst the backbiting nfl elites..until he sells the team or changes the way he runs things to a rooney or modell type model the browns are doomed to failure..

And randy is not capable of running things like a real football man so we are completely doomed unless randy gets lucky and grabs a intellectual football guru newbie that grows up fast...

I don't believe that. Some of the people you envision may not want to come to Cleveland, but I doubt it is because of Lerner or his inability to know who they are.

Actually, he seems like he would be a good owner to work for.

No credible coach will come here. We would have to pay 15 million a year to get an experienced coach to play for this owner. The guy only gets involved when he needs to make a hasty, uninformed decision.

Don't bet on it. There are only 32 NFL GM jobs on the planet. Tons of "credible people" be they GMs, Coaches, etc. will play here for various reasons:

1. Their own egos will tell them they can be the guy to straighten things out.

2. Cash. Money talks, bullshit walks.

3. Great fan base. Who else would have stuck behind a crappy product like this the past 10 years. (Steeler fans: put your hands down)

4. Good resources. Not every single player on this team is a mope. Many are, but there is free agency and those 11 draft picks.

5. Tradition. Being a succesful coach in Cleveland means you own the town. Marty owned the town, he just didn't own the team and had to put up with an idiot, meddling owner.

6. Ownership: despite the current situation, Randy Lerner is NOT a meddling owner like a Modell was, or Jerra down in Dallas (which is why Parcells is no longer there), or Snyder in DC.

I am sure there are more. But like I said, there are fewer NFL GM jobs than there are U.S. Senator jobs. (and being a GM pays more)

In Mangini's press conference some one asks a question about Marty, I didnt hear what the question was but he went on to say He really liked Marty and he talked to him alot in NY because there offensive cordinator Brian is his son. He said something to the likes that if Marty had any suggestions he'd be welcomed anytime. You can go to Clevelandbrowns.com to hear it for yourself

Don't bet on it. There are only 32 NFL GM jobs on the planet. Tons of "credible people" be they GMs, Coaches, etc. will play here for various reasons:

1. Their own egos will tell them they can be the guy to straighten things out.

2. Cash. Money talks, bullshit walks.

3. Great fan base. Who else would have stuck behind a crappy product like this the past 10 years. (Steeler fans: put your hands down)

4. Good resources. Not every single player on this team is a mope. Many are, but there is free agency and those 11 draft picks.

5. Tradition. Being a succesful coach in Cleveland means you own the town. Marty owned the town, he just didn't own the team and had to put up with an idiot, meddling owner.

6. Ownership: despite the current situation, Randy Lerner is NOT a meddling owner like a Modell was, or Jerra down in Dallas (which is why Parcells is no longer there), or Snyder in DC.

I am sure there are more. But like I said, there are fewer NFL GM jobs than there are U.S. Senator jobs. (and being a GM pays more)

Yep, I agree! Lerner is NOT a meddler...As I say often, if only he will hire a football guy as President & let him run with this team, from GM down, I think we'll be ok. Randy just doesn't seem to evaluate management/coaching talent well, so let a panel of 4 football experts be involved in hiring a President. A solid candidate & his subsequent choices would have opportunities to be real HEROES in Cleveland....it really is a GOOD opportunity.

Mike

Archived