THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumors of a Postseason Strike

CLEVELandMILIDH

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...tseason-strike/

Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2009 11:30 PM ET

Before we go any farther with this one, we need to point out that the chances of it happening are ridiculously small.

That said, the NFLPA's inability to coax the league into displaying a greater sense of urgency regarding the negotiation of a new labor deal prior to the start of the uncapped year in March 2010 has prompted new rumors that the union is considering the possibility of launching a walkout once the 2009 regular season ends.

The only problem? The Collective Bargaining Agreement plainly states that a strike by the players or a lockout by the owners is not permitted during the term of the deal. And since the deal currently lasts through the current season and the next one, the players simply can't refuse to work.

Of course, they technically can go on strike. But the strike would be illegal, and the players would face multi-million-dollar fines and damage awards, if the action ultimately were to disrupt the postseason and prevented playoff games from occurring.

The mere fact that the rumor is being floated -- not necessarily by union leadership -- speaks to the level of frustration that many of the players currently are feeling. They're now close enough to the uncapped year to see that it's a mirage. With the NFL showing no willingness to finalize a new CBA before the uncapped year arrives, those who are desperate to avoid it have begun the process of throwing reckless ideas against the wall in the hopes of finding something that might stick.

A postseason strike simply won't.

Apart from being illegal, it would be a gigantic public-relations blunder for the players, who instantly would be viewed as villains by a public that has yet to cast blame upon either side.

Still, while it most likely will never happen, the talk is out there. And the talk needs to go away as quickly as it bubbled to the surface.

I love watching millionaires who don't spend their money wisely squirm!

The players need to be be prepared. Whining won't get it done. If they're patient, the blame will be cast own team owners because they are the ones who voted out of the final year of the CBA. If they lock the players out, which may happen, once again it's on the owners.

With the soap opera the Browns have become, I have to say some sadistic side of me is really ok with watching the NFL (players and owners) chew on their own leg to try and get out of this trap they've created.

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and No Salary Cap

As many NFL fans know, the owners and the Players Union are responsible for reaching an agreement on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement before the 2010 season. The reason most fans should pay attention to this is because within the current CBA there is a provision that the final season of the agreement (2010) must be an uncapped salary season. There is no doubt that a deal will eventually be struck, but will we lose the salary cap forever? Possibly.

The reason the NFL and other leagues can use a salary cap in the first place is due to the Non-Statutory Labor Exemption created as a part of the Clayton Act in 1914, which allows owners and Players Union to negotiate and come to agreements, like a salary cap, that would normally be an antitrust violation. The salary cap and free agency were created in the NFL when antitrust law was applied on the the basis of restrictions on player movements in a suit filed by a group led by Reggie White. In the current CBA, the NFL would be under antitrust liability if an agreement can't be reached six months after it expires, or if negotiations are argued to impasse, whichever comes later. So there is incentive on both sides to get a deal done quickly, or risk losing their exemption.

The owners are justified in their demand for a new CBA. Here is a list under the current CBA that the owners must follow, and the big issues surrounding these negotiations:

-Guaranteed Spending

Every year there is an increase in team salary that every team must pay. In 2006, each team's salary had to be at least 84% of the current salary cap. That number rises 1.2% every year, so teams are forced to spend money on players to stay above the minimum.

-The salary cap rises every year

The salary cap rises based on projected league revenues, so naturally, it rises every year. With the increase in the minimum and a higher salary cap, teams are forced to spend a lot more money than they may want.

-Teams must pay 50% towards contracts

50% of total league revenues must be paid towards player contracts. Why is this even in there? In the end clubs are forced to spend almost 60% of their revenues towards player contracts.

-Rookie salaries

This is a large sticking point, and where common sense has seemingly been thrown out the door. The first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft was Left Tackle Jake Long. He signed a five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Dolphins. Good for him, right? That contract made him the highest paid Left Tackle in the NFL, and he hadn't even played a down yet. This isn't the only instance of a rookie making more money than Pro Bowl players. Rookies taken in the top 10 of the draft are making Pro Bowl type money right out of the gate. I wonder how that makes 5 and 10 year veterans feel? I think this is one of the issues that both sides will agree on and a slotting system will be put into place, or a rookie pay scale, similar to what the NBA is using.

Effect of No Salary Cap

If no agreement is reached and 2010 is an uncapped season, it's not going to be the spending free for all that many people think. Provisions under the current CBA state that in the event of an uncapped season, the number of seasons required to become an unrestricted free agent goes to six. Another provision states that each club will be able to use a Transition Tag on any of their unrestricted free agents, which works a lot like the franchise tag. These two provisions will severely cut down the number of free agents available in 2010. So don't look for the Redskins to sign 27 Pro Bowlers.

The biggest issue will be getting the salary cap back, as the Players Union insists that if it's gone in 2010, they aren't agreeing to bring it back. While I don't think the NFL without a salary cap would be as unbalanced as MLB, there would definitely be some changes. For instance, in 2007 the Redskins grossed over $130 million more than the Minnesota Vikings, so there would be built in advantages for some teams with unlimited spending power.

Whose side do you stand on? The owners or the Players Union? Me, I'm on the greedy owners side, simply because the changes they want would also improve the quality of the game, and that's all that matters to me.

Rookie salaries

This is a large sticking point, and where common sense has seemingly been thrown out the door. The first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft was Left Tackle Jake Long. He signed a five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Dolphins. Good for him, right? That contract made him the highest paid Left Tackle in the NFL, and he hadn't even played a down yet. This isn't the only instance of a rookie making more money than Pro Bowl players. Rookies taken in the top 10 of the draft are making Pro Bowl type money right out of the gate. I wonder how that makes 5 and 10 year veterans feel? I think this is one of the issues that both sides will agree on and a slotting system will be put into place, or a rookie pay scale, similar to what the NBA is using.

For me...this is what's most xxxxed up as a fan...

Illegal or not, their are principals that have to be met.

Players need some type of assurance that if they are cut do to injuries that they will be compensated.

I for one wish they would cap rookie salaries, look at all of the wasted money on first round picks. Some of these bums contracts hold the whole team back because they are so untalented football wise but were scouted by clowns like savage who think that combine hero's are football players and get drafted out of order and cant perform.

At this point I would not care if they go on strike and the NFL went bankrupt! These guys need to snap back to reality. I mean hell right now we have some guys that are not even trying anymore and I am sure some on other teams are the same way. To hell with these guys. Have you ever heard a NFL player talk without saying "You know" like 25 times in a 30 second interview?

Illegal or not, their are principals that have to be met.

Players need some type of assurance that if they are cut do to injuries that they will be compensated.

I for one wish they would cap rookie salaries, look at all of the wasted money on first round picks. Some of these bums contracts hold the whole team back because they are so untalented football wise but were scouted by clowns like savage who think that combine hero's are football players and get drafted out of order and cant perform.

Hey if they get hurt its their own problem. But THEY all did go to collage right? They have an education right?

Hey if they get hurt its their own problem. But THEY all did go to collage right? They have an education right?

If its anything like when I went to college then I will say did they learn anything? :lol:

Example: Class I want to introduce you to your schools football players, then she would call out our name and have us stand up, after we all stood up she then said you are excused until after football season. I stayed and came back for the rest of the classes. i cant say that for some of the rest.

As soon as the season ends the nfl should find all of these guys jobs at DHL or Fed Ex loading and unloading trucks/planes so they can understand what a JOB is. Then they can decide if arguing about an additional 2% is worth working in their manual labor job.

I am getting a little sick of hearing that a bunch of spoiled brats need more money when they will certainly make an average lifetime of wages in three years (minimum salary).

Archived