THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday Trivia for S. Steeler Fans

The Gipper

Here is my Wednesday Trivia. This time it is to test for SSFs, i.e. either Smart Steeler Fans, or Stupid Steeler Fans. I guess we will see how well they know their own team. Many of these should be easy for a true fan. (Browns fans are welcome to partake...and evidence that it is probable that they know more about Steeler history than Steeler fans do. We shall see)

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers?

2. According to some sources, Art Rooney was not the original owner of the Steelers. Per these sources, who was and where was he from?

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s?

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result?

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game?

6. Who attempted to recruit Art Rooney to play football for him?

7. What significance do Louisville, New Orleans, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Youngstown combined have in Steeler history?

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll?

9. Who was responsible for keeping the Steelers from being moved to Boston in the 40s?

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season?

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin?

12. Whose feat of coaching his team to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC did Bill Cowher match when he did that?

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own?

Here is my Wednesday Trivia. This time it is to test for SSFs, i.e. either Smart Steeler Fans, or Stupid Steeler Fans. I guess we will see how well they know their own team. Many of these should be easy for a true fan. (Browns fans are welcome to partake...and evidence that it is probable that they know more about Steeler history than Steeler fans do. We shall see)

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers?

2. According to some sources, Art Rooney was not the original owner of the Steelers. Per these sources, who was and where was he from?

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s? paul brown

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result?

7. What significance do Louisville, New Orleans, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Youngstown combined have in Steeler history? it's where there training camps were

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll?

9. Who was responsible for keeping the Steelers from being moved to Boston in the 40s?

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season?

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin? tomlin was 31

12. Whose feat of coaching his team to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC did Bill Cowher match when he did that?

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own? 51%

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s?

7. What significance do Louisville, New Orleans, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Youngstown combined have in Steeler history?

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin?

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own?

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers? [/color] 1936? I guess Lions, Bears, Cardinals, Packers, Redskins.

2. According to some sources, Art Rooney was not the original owner of the Steelers. Per these sources, who was and where was he from? No idea

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s? Paul Brown

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result?Mid 50's, loss to the Browns

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game? 1974

6. Who attempted to recruit Art Rooney to play football for him?Knute Rockne

7. What significance do Louisville, New Orleans, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Youngstown combined have in Steeler history?They all have better hometown breweries than "Iron City" beer? They have more loyal fans for their teams?

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll?Bonds

9. Who was responsible for keeping the Steelers from being moved to Boston in the 40s?Paul Brown

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season?3

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin?All late thirties, no older than 40

12. Whose feat of coaching his team to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC did Bill Cowher match when he did that?Paul Brown

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own?About 70%

Well, without the help of Google or other search engine:

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers? 1933; Cardinals, Packers, Lions, Giants, Eagles, Rams,

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s? The Steel industry

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result?1973: loss to Dolphins.

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game?1974

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll? the Mafia?

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season? two

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin? 33, 33, 33

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own? 51%

Next Steelers / Browns game Dec. 10.

Will the browns fans throw bottles and garbage onto the field after the Steelers are leading by 10 at the half?

Will the browns fans stay into the 4th Quarter?

Will the browns fans blame the referees once again and claim they love the Steelers?

Will the browns fans blame their ruined Christmas on the Steelers?

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers? 1933

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s?a steel company from ohio

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result?1947, 21-0 loss to Eagles

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game?1972 against the Raiders

6. Who attempted to recruit Art Rooney to play football for him?i dont know this one

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll?the horse track

9. Who was responsible for keeping the Steelers from being moved to Boston in the 40s?both Rooney and Bert Bell

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season?3

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin?Noll-36, Cowher-34, Tomlin-34

12. Whose feat of coaching his team to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC did Bill Cowher match when he did that?Paul Brown

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own?32%

Hey DJ, why do you take time out of your life to sign up, read, and post on a Browns messege board if your a steeler fan? Is your sister to busy to go to the school dance with you tonight or what? Either way enlighten us on why you dedicated a few hours of your life to something Browns related if you hate this team.

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers? The Squeel Fags joined the NFL in the 30's and sucked out loud until the mid seventies.

2. According to some sources, Art Rooney was not the original owner of the Steelers. Per these sources, who was and where was he from? No One knows. His family tree didn't exactly have branches if you catch my drift.

3. Who suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the "Steelmark" logo that has been on their helmets since the 60s? Steely McBeam

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result? 1973 after a half century of pure suckitude.

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game? I wish they never had.

6. Who attempted to recruit Art Rooney to play football for him? Beau Schembechler.

7. What significance do Louisville, New Orleans, Latrobe, Johnstown, and Youngstown combined have in Steeler history? They have received Steroid/ HGH shipments from labs in all of these cities.

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll? His butt.

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season? I don't know But Chuck Noll was from Cleveland.

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own? Too much. They either need to sell the machines they have in their track facilities or sell their team, since it is supposed to be illegal to own gambling interests outside of the NFL. But once again, the Steel Fags get away with breaking more NFL rules.

Will the browns fans throw bottles and garbage onto the field after the Steelers are leading by 10 at the half?

Will the browns fans blame the referees once again and claim they love the Steelers?

Of all the questions you should be asking yourself these are what came to your mind?

Seriously, you need to be more worried about:

-Did I get my sister pregnant or was it my other brother?

-When my last tooth falls out, how will I eat my food?

-When will I be able to afford new rubber boots?

-Did my mom really catch syphillis from fixing the trailer floor? Or should I be worried she gave it to me?

-Am I getting enough nutrition from my lunch of raw squirrel brains, groundhog testes, and Schlitz?

-Why does my family tree look more like a telephone pole?

-Will the Steelers ever win a championship without cheating?

I translate this post to be an admission that you are indeed one of the Stupid Steeler Fans, not one of the Smart Steeler fans

1. What year did the Steelers join the NFL and what are the only franchises that have been members of the NFL longer than the Steelers? 1933

2. According to some sources, Art Rooney was not the original owner of the Steelers. Per these sources, who was and where was he from?Gregory Taylor from Lewis Center, OH

In 1962, Republic Steel of Cleveland approached the Steelers and suggested that they consider the Steelmark, the insignia used by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), as a helmet logo to honor Pittsburgh's steel heritage.

4. When did the Steelers play their first postseason game and what was the result? 1947 Lost Eastern Divisional Playoff (Eagles) 21-0

5. When did the Steelers win their first ever postseason game? vs. Oakland and The Immaculate Reception 1972

6. Who attempted to recruit Art Rooney to play football for him? knute rockne

Different cities the Rooney had His football team play when Conflicting events kept him from playing in Pittsburgh

8. What unusual resource did Art Rooney use at times to meet his player payroll? ?? Horse racing ??

9. Who was responsible for keeping the Steelers from being moved to Boston in the 40s? ???

10. How many losing seasons did Chuck Noll have as coach of the Steelers before having his first winning season? 2

11. How old was Chuck Noll when he became HC of the Steelers? How old was Cowher? How old was Tomlin? 36

12. Whose feat of coaching his team to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC did Bill Cowher match when he did that? PAUL BROWN

13. What percentage of the Steelers do Dan and Art Rooney II actually currently own? 80%

I need a instant replay on question 3, that looks like copy and paste to me.

Yes, It looks the same to me as well, as does #2. NO one has ever heard of Lewis Center, Ohio, not even people from Lewis Center, because Lewis Center is only a neighborhood. It is not a city, village or a township It would be like "Montrose". Ergo, I must question his knowledge associated with some of the rest of the answers given, as it looks like he got all the answers you could pull off Wikipedia correct, but the ones you couldn't find there he didn't get.

Freak of Steeler got 8 right, assuming no googling.

Do you swear on your Lombardi Trophies that you didn't cheat and google?

I googled number 3 !!! And the 2 i missed and couldnt find...lol DAMN You guys are Good !!!! There were some TUFF Questions . I also found one In My Total Steelers Book from 1995... but i looked cuz I Knew i read it before !!! Had to make sure i was right. That Rockne tried to get the "Chief" at ND !! (My Mind is Fading as 50 comes nearer)

1933; Cards, Giants, Bears, Packers

No clue and never heard this rumor.

A steel company from Cleveland

1947 and it was a loss

1973, Whatever the date of the Immaculate Reception happened.

Saretoga Racetrack

Noll -38? Cowher 34 Tomlin 33

Don Shula?

Around 45

1933; Cards, Giants, Bears, Packers

No clue and never heard this rumor.

A steel company from Cleveland

1947 and it was a loss

1973, Whatever the date of the Immaculate Reception happened.

Saretoga Racetrack

Noll -38? Cowher 34 Tomlin 33

Don Shula?

Around 45

I count 4 correct answers, plus a good part of Q #1.

FINAL ANSWERS

The Steelers joined the NFL in 1933. The current teams that were in existance before them were: The Chicago Bears, the Chi/St.L./Ariz. Cardinals, the NY Giants, the Green Bay Packers, the Detroit Lions then known as the Portsmouth Spartans, and the Washington Redskins then known as The Boston Braves.

Wikipedia has a guy named Gregory Taylor from Lewis Center, Ohio as being the original owner of the Steelers. Somehow however, I believe the accuracy of this information is questionable (as perhaps some kid from there stuck that info into the Wikipedia). Lewis Center by the way is in Delaware Co. Ohio, just north of Columbus.

This was suggested to the Steelers by officials of Republic Steel of Cleveland, Ohio. Its use was approved by The Steel Institute (something like that).

It was that 1947 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Steelers did not make another postseason appearance until 1972 when they defeated the Raiders in that "Immaculate Reception" game. (I allowed for the answer of 1973 as the game was played after the 1972 season and some of you may have thought it was played in January of the next year. However, it was actually played on December 23, 1972).

Also, FYI, the Steelers DID play in one of what was known as "The Playoff Bowls", in the 60s, but those games are considered exhibitions and do not count in any official postseason records or statistics (though, the Steelers did lose that game)

Knute Rockne of Notre Dame, but AR decided to stay home and play for Duquesne.

These are all cities in which the Steelers played regular season "home" games, because they either weren't drawing enough fans in Pittsburgh or because of scheduling conflicts with either Forbes Field or Pitt Stadium.

The winnings he made at the horse track. The families continued ownership in horseracing/gambling interests was still an issue very recently, requiring the restructuring of ownership of the team.

Future NFL commissioner Bert Bell. Art Rooney, in the 40s had actually merged his team with the Eagles to become the Steagles, and had actually completely sold his interest in the team to a man named Thompson who wanted to move them to Boston. Bert Bell intervened, buy out Thompson's interest in the Eagles, and convincing him to sell back his interest in the Steelers to Rooney.

Three. (does this mean we should have patience with Mangini?)

Noll: 37, Cowher: 35, Tomlin: 34

Paul Brown (this does not includes PBs 4 playoff years in the AAFC)

Only about 30% of the team. There are actually at least 7-10 other "minority" owners (including John Stallworth), most of whom are unrelated to the Rooneys. A couple of the Rooney relatives (nieces, nephews of Dan Rooney by deceased brothers) have retained 1 or 2 percentage points in the team. Here is a link to their ownership situation:

http://www.steelers.com/article/110915/

A good question: Too many cooks?

Archived