THE BROWNS BOARD

Back to football

Solon16

Would you rather have a good defense and continue to not be able to score a touchdown, or do you want to finally draft high round offensive skill positions to build from I.E QB, RB, WR, TE, and rt with first 5 picks? Tempting to draft defense, but I think we have to bite the bullett and go Offense....if you can't score or get 1st downs...we 'll never be any good. we aren't going to win squat next year so draft Offensive skill positions to learn for a year then build the Defense...JMHO

Good question.......I see both points. I'd love to see additions to our defense and with our rookie RBs not getting as many reps as I would have wanted to watch this season (aka injury) I would consider drafting a good RB to eventually replace Lewis. Just look at what Peterson has done with the Vikes.....

We'll never get past the Steelers and Ravens until we build a defensive team that can match theirs.

Right now, depending who's available, I'd draft running back, defense, defense, defense with my first four picks.

QB would be one of the guys on the roster and/or a decent veteran free agent for the next season.

Zombo

im very torn..and glad im not the GM..

speaking of GM..do we have one?..err oh wait..anyways..

this D is pretty bad..but seems like its much closer than the O...big reach i know...but woudl adding a stud saftey (Berry) or DL (Suh) bring it together?..sure they need another CB and someone opposite Wimbley but it seems this could come together under RYAN ad quick...

now the other side..THE O IS TERRRRRIBLE..no news flash..this is common knowledge..

lacking?..Playmakers.

RB...WR...QB.

no particular order...all 3 areas are bad...bottom of the league bad...

i would start with RB...problem?...no dominate must have talent (yet) at ths position..in my opinion..

WR?...maybe later rounds..but history shows rookies do not produce and hopefully our 2 rookies will pan out...maybe with a free agent help..or dont laugh..stallworth...

and QB..do you gamble this?..Who is the one?...do u draft another golden domer ( i just threw up in my mouth)...do u go for the raw talented kid in washington?...or take a chance on a Bradford?

torn torn torn.

but if i had a gun to my head..

Id go Berry and best RB or Qb in round 2...

I think Mangini can build a respectable defense with average players. Our offense cant put 2 first downs togeather. I dont think we need to spend all are high picks on offense though. Get a RB, TE and hopefully Quinn steps it up the 2nd half of the season and we should be fine. Id say defense first round, RB 2nd, TE 3rd,

Defense! On the assumption that our offensive line is on the way to something better without significant changes in personnel, I would mainly like to see us pick up a RB and/or a TE. Drafting a quarterback in the early rounds seems too risky for a team with our needs. The Ratbirds and Steelers were significantly further along when they went after first-round quarterbacks. So defense, defense, defense. Plus RB and TE.

It seems unlikely that we would choose a runningback that would actually pan out. RB's are one of those high risk positions to pick in the first. It would probably make more sense to pick a DB in the first round and then use our wealth of picks to pick up some offensive players further to the middle of the pack.

We'll never get past the Steelers and Ravens until we build a defensive team that can match theirs.

Right now, depending who's available, I'd draft running back, defense, defense, defense with my first four picks.

QB would be one of the guys on the roster and/or a decent veteran free agent for the next season.

Zombo

I tend to agree, Zombo, but it hurts like heck that the Saints' DEFENSE has scored more TDs this year than has the Browns OFFENSE.

A veteran QB from another team seems like a good option while the rest of the team gets built. Do I dare suggest Brady Quinn as an alternative to the Veteran QB? The rest of the season should help clarify this cloudy situation.

I believe DA is dead meat and his days in Cleveland are, or should be, over.

PS I wish they signed Chambers for WR.

my biggest beef is if we have aa tope five pick....I think #2 overall...the only positions that are worth that kind of $ is LT(check), DE(4-3) pass rusher and a QB... If we sit at #2 I don't think I can justify not taking a QB when we are so pathetic on O....maybe things change on our team....if they don't change at the most important position in all of sports...we have to get a new Qb..again JMHO.

Zombo

We'll never get past the steelers and Ravens until we build an offensive team that can match theirs...

We'll never get past the steelers and Ravens until we build an offensive team that can match theirs...

Compare where the Ravens and Steelers rank in offense compared to defense every year and then explain to me how they stay on top.

Yes, the offense must drastically improve.

But if we are going to contend for division titles we have to be on par with those teams defensively.

I don't even see how you can deny that. Look at the Bengals, they have been a good offensive team for some time, lots of weapons, but they have never gotten past both Pittsburgh and Baltimore because they are superior defensive teams.

If you want numbers I'll give you numbers. But I think you just being a smart ass. You remind me a lot of the guys who left.

Zombo

A dect O would help our D out tremendously but having said that and considering we are a lock for top 5 in the draft with the worst Safeties in the league I say you get the next Ed Reed, Eric Berry from TN then take the best available skill positions and linemen on the board to help the O with most of the rest of the draft

Compare where the Ravens and Steelers rank in offense compared to defense every year and then explain to me how they stay on top.

Yes, the offense must drastically improve.

But if we are going to contend for division titles we have to be on par with those teams defensively.

I don't even see how you can deny that. Look at the Bengals, they have been a good offensive team for some time, lots of weapons, but they have never gotten past both Pittsburgh and Baltimore because they are superior defensive teams.

If you want numbers I'll give you numbers. But I think you just being a smart ass. You remind me a lot of the guys who left.

Zombo

i was being a smart ass...i think defense is a hell of a lot easier to fix/be competetive than trying to fix THIS offensive offense. Yes defense wins championships...but offenses win games....we can't win games if we can't score a TD or get a freakin first downs...we have just been through a spinal injury and now must learn how to walk again...Skill positions #1

Go ahead and get rid of all dissenting views to yours, stalin....My point is as valid if not more. i simply added the word offense to your defense...and it is the exact same point!

and...we are dead last in nfl in scoring...

Would you rather have a good defense and continue to not be able to score a touchdown, or do you want to finally draft high round offensive skill positions to build from I.E QB, RB, WR, TE, and rt with first 5 picks? Tempting to draft defense, but I think we have to bite the bullett and go Offense....if you can't score or get 1st downs...we 'll never be any good. we aren't going to win squat next year so draft Offensive skill positions to learn for a year then build the Defense...JMHO

The first pick will be a QB. No question in my mind.

I guess it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Scoring 30 does you no good if you give up 40, and holding teams to 20 does you no good if you score 10.

In the end, I suppose if i had to pick, I would go D since you at least keep it close, which equates to a chance.

i also think D is a little more consistent than O. Not as many things to screw up the plan.

It is easier for a O to have a off day.

depends on who is left on the board, if eric berry is gone and the Suh and the other stud Dline man is gone , then we draft the best talent in the offense. the way i see it, we have numbers, we need the talent. And players like Berry dont just drop by in our lap if the projections are to be believed.

Scoring 30 does you no good if you give up 40, and holding teams to 20 does you no good if you score 10.

In the end, I suppose if i had to pick, I would go D since you at least keep it close, which equates to a chance.

i also think D is a little more consistent than O. Not as many things to screw up the plan.

The Bears scored 30 on us and I thought the D played great. If we had any semblence of an offense they dont score 14 points.

Also if you have a ball control offense you can limit the possesions the other team gets. I think offense is more important because it puts points on the board and keeps the other teams offense off the field. Defenses can go 3 and out all day but if your offense is going 3 and out to that does nothing for you

Browns D has scored more touchdowns this season thus far than the offense.

I vote Veteran QB (trade 2 1st rounders if you have to) I'd trade any 2 of our 1st round selections the past 10 years to get Drew Brees type.

possibly add Troy Smith

Have the Browns had a pro quarterback since Kosar?

free agent RB ..Chester Taylor/Lendale White or both.

Antonio Bryant type vet all day everyday.

rest of the draft defense.............we want guys with exceptional talent in school but character issues.

Channel that anger and rip his friggin head off

Mangina GONE.

Bernie Kosar / Jon Gruden / Marty Schottenheimer 2010.

I'd be leaning towards the two impact players, Suh or Barry. both happen to be on defense, --- depending where we pick, I'd be leaning that way.

The second round, I'd be looking at RT if he is a "DOMINATE RT", if not, I'd consider TE if an impact TE is available. If not BPA.

I think the defense is not far from being real good.

I don't think our D is to terrible. They can't do everything and when the offense fumbles every other play or Anderson throws a interception what do you want the D to do?

Personally, I think we need to go DL/secondary (Suh/Berry) with our first pick, LT with our second (to convert to RT), and LB/DL with our third. Then we focus on offense. The thought of a nasty, shut down defense entices me more than having a good offense. Our defense can generate points as is, so think what they could be like if we had a hard-hitting safety or a pass-rushing LB who actually knows how to strip-sack (ahem...Wimbley). As for our offense, I think James Davis has more than enough potential to be a starting RB on many teams in the league. JD and Harrison are perfect complement backs, and it would be like recreating the "Thunder and Lightning" that JD was a part of while at Clemson. And then, with some sort of running threat, we'll actually be able to develop a passing game. We're only a couple people away from having a great team. We really are, we're just missing some important cogs to this machine.

Archived