THE BROWNS BOARD

Back to football

Solon16

The Bears scored 30 on us and I thought the D played great. If we had any semblence of an offense they dont score 14 points.

Also if you have a ball control offense you can limit the possesions the other team gets. I think offense is more important because it puts points on the board and keeps the other teams offense off the field. Defenses can go 3 and out all day but if your offense is going 3 and out to that does nothing for you

Like I said....six of one, half a dozen of the other because i agree with you as well.

I guess when you need everything, you best just take the best players you can and not worry so much about what position they play.

As the team gets better, then you can target a side of the ball, and when you get a little better again, you can start to target specific positions.

Would you rather have a good defense and continue to not be able to score a touchdown, or do you want to finally draft high round offensive skill positions to build from I.E QB, RB, WR, TE, and rt with first 5 picks? Tempting to draft defense, but I think we have to bite the bullett and go Offense....if you can't score or get 1st downs...we 'll never be any good. we aren't going to win squat next year so draft Offensive skill positions to learn for a year then build the Defense...JMHO

I'm so sick of looking at nobody at the skills positions on offense that it deflates me and dulls my senses of anything else we need. If a boxer can't throw a punch in a fight, he'll never win. Best example of this is the Ravens every season Boller QBed them - the names on defennse pretty much remained the same. Enter Joe Flacco - and now that defense gets supported with an offense that moves the chanins and puts points on the board without turning the ball over.

I've lost my loving feeling for Taylor Mays - I've heard he struggles to keep his weight down and he could easily be playing at 260 pounds. Sounds more like he'll play LBer without any experience doing so in college.

If we go defense, I would like to see us take Eric Berry.

I'm hoping if we do go offense - it's a serious weapon. Last year, I said Percy Harvin if we went offense and take a look at his impact on offense AND special teams. A few years back I said DeAngelo Williams, and he's never averaged UNDER 4 yards a carry since he entered the NFL. The altewrnatives have been nauseating here.

- Tom F.

I'm so sick of looking at nobody at the skills positions on offense that it deflates me and dulls my senses of anything else we need. If a boxer can't throw a punch in a fight, he'll never win. Best example of this is the Ravens every season Boller QBed them - the names on defennse pretty much remained the same. Enter Joe Flacco - and now that defense gets supported with an offense that moves the chanins and puts points on the board without turning the ball over.

I've lost my loving feeling for Taylor Mays - I've heard he struggles to keep his weight down and he could easily be playing at 260 pounds. Sounds more like he'll play LBer without any experience doing so in college.

I'm hoping if we do go offense - it's a serious weapon. Last year, I said Percy Harvin if we went offense and take a look at his impact on offense AND special teams. A few years back I said DeAngelo Williams, and he's never averaged UNDER 4 yards a carry since he entered the NFL. The altewrnatives have been nauseating here.

- Tom F.

Cheers....agree 100%

- Tom F.

I agree, we definitely need an offense. But, Flacco brought up a good point in one of his interviews. They asked him what it was like coming to a team that was known for their stifling defense and bad offense and he said "We have to practice against this D, so they make us better. If we can move against this defense during the week, we can move against any defense on Sundays". That's why I think having a great defense would benefit us more at this point in time. Either way, we really can't go wrong though. We are so full of holes, anything would do.

For the most part I want the team to draft BPA. If it happens that the best talent available at our first round pick is a CB then go for it. If it is a safety then go for it. If it is a QB then go for it. I want eight good players from our eleven picks. IF it just happens that they are all on one side of the ball because of luck then I don't care

I would love to see us get (not listed in order of my best order) RB, RT, OG, QB, TE, CB, SS, ILB, ILB, OLB, CB but if the BPA doesn't happen to be someone who is a huge need I would rather have the best player. If we somehow end up with two starting tight ends or CB by taking BPA that is a nice problem we haven't had in a while

Personally, I think we need to go DL/secondary (Suh/Berry) with our first pick, LT with our second (to convert to RT), and LB/DL with our third. Then we focus on offense. The thought of a nasty, shut down defense entices me more than having a good offense. Our defense can generate points as is, so think what they could be like if we had a hard-hitting safety or a pass-rushing LB who actually knows how to strip-sack (ahem...Wimbley). As for our offense, I think James Davis has more than enough potential to be a starting RB on many teams in the league. JD and Harrison are perfect complement backs, and it would be like recreating the "Thunder and Lightning" that JD was a part of while at Clemson. And then, with some sort of running threat, we'll actually be able to develop a passing game. We're only a couple people away from having a great team. We really are, we're just missing some important cogs to this machine.

Free lifetime pass on the shortbus...wow....brilliance!!!

Develop the passing game with the worst starting Qb since 1981 Chicago bears led Vince hart team...reminds me...where's lumbergh! Sorry but you can't "develop" a passing game with two running backs with "potential" without a decent QB!

Free lifetime pass on the shortbus...wow....brilliance!!!

I don't agree with the post you were responding to: the combination of Davis and Harrison would lack a true power back who could excel in short yardage situations.

But you don't need to be a dick about it.

The dude comes out of the woodwork and starts calling me a douchebag in three other posts so "live by the sword...." so yay he fking deserves it!

So basically, you're raw because I called you out on the fact that you cannot listen to other people's opinions diplomatically, and then you go and prove that what I said is true. Good for you. Tell me why JD and Harrison can't be complement backs. JD tore up the preseason, and Boomer and Tom Jackson said on NFL Live basically "Watch out for this kid, he has tremendous potential." At one point Boomer called him something we've been missing since Jim Brown. (No, I am not comparing him to Jim Brown). He got hurt by one of the hardest hitting cornerbacks in the NFL in our first regular season game, the day after he got into a car accident. We have yet to see him in the regular season fully healthy. Nobody knows what he is capable of. I saw him in person at Clemson a number of times, and I loved what I saw. He doesn't have the power that Jamal has, but he's a hell of a lot more a power back than he is a speed back. He runs best in between the tackles; he has a great cut move, his legs are always churning, and tremendous vision. He doesn't have to be a bowling ball of a human to be a power back.

Tell me why JD and Harrison can't be complement backs? weak potential will not as you quote"with some sort of running threat, we'll actually be able to develop a passing game."

Our field general is the worst qb statistically since 1981.....5th round and 6th round running backs are going to magically "develop" a passing game... especially since neither can stay healthy for more than 12 seconds! talk about a lame argument...Jh and JD are going to help DA develop a passing game...hahahaha

No you didn't ...I haven't had one discussion with you at all...today you call me a d-bag unprovoked 3 times...i don't know you at all, you didn't call me out on shit ...you just being a trolldick

I'm not being a troll, because I'm not hating for no reason. I've been reading through threads, and I noticed that you're just a very cranky person. So, as fate would have it, our opinions differed, and I used that as an opportunity to remark about how you are a douchebag. You know you are, too. You purposely say inflammatory things in order to get people riled up, therefore, you are the real troll.

And a dick. There's a name you can add to your list.

BTW Brian Robiskie is a BUST

How can you say he’s a bust?

It takes, on average, 3 years for an NFL wide receiver to become competitive (not great, just competitive) on the NFL level. Even 1st rounders (and Robiskie was a 2nd rounder.)

Every so often you will find a young rookie WR that immediately makes a big impactl, but those are few and far between.

We'll never get past the Steelers and Ravens until we build a defensive team that can match theirs.

Right now, depending who's available, I'd draft running back, defense, defense, defense with my first four picks.

QB would be one of the guys on the roster and/or a decent veteran free agent for the next season.

Zombo

a RB at #2 overall? don't think there is one worthy of #2 money...do you? or later say round 2 or 3? We need a mudder...dwyer from Ga Tech? big back with speed....may be available.

im very torn..and glad im not the GM..

speaking of GM..do we have one?..err oh wait..anyways..

this D is pretty bad..but seems like its much closer than the O...big reach i know...but woudl adding a stud saftey (Berry) or DL (Suh) bring it together?..sure they need another CB and someone opposite Wimbley but it seems this could come together under RYAN ad quick...

now the other side..THE O IS TERRRRRIBLE..no news flash..this is common knowledge..

lacking?..Playmakers.

RB...WR...QB.

no particular order...all 3 areas are bad...bottom of the league bad...

i would start with RB...problem?...no dominate must have talent (yet) at ths position..in my opinion..

WR?...maybe later rounds..but history shows rookies do not produce and hopefully our 2 rookies will pan out...maybe with a free agent help..or dont laugh..stallworth...

and QB..do you gamble this?..Who is the one?...do u draft another golden domer ( i just threw up in my mouth)...do u go for the raw talented kid in washington?...or take a chance on a Bradford?

torn torn torn.

but if i had a gun to my head..

Id go Berry and best RB or Qb in round 2...

how big is berry...isn't he right around 200lbs? 5'10 maybe?

I think Mangini can build a respectable defense with average players. Our offense cant put 2 first downs togeather. I dont think we need to spend all are high picks on offense though. Get a RB, TE and hopefully Quinn steps it up the 2nd half of the season and we should be fine. Id say defense first round, RB 2nd, TE 3rd,

That's a big if...on Quinn...especially because it doesn't seem mangini is going to go to him at this point. He'll have to play lights out to stay on team, imo

my biggest beef is if we have aa tope five pick....I think #2 overall...the only positions that are worth that kind of $ is LT(check), DE(4-3) pass rusher and a QB... If we sit at #2 I don't think I can justify not taking a QB when we are so pathetic on O....maybe things change on our team....if they don't change at the most important position in all of sports...we have to get a new Qb..again JMHO.

hmmm good point...lol

another trade down would be good, but suh is about the only guy worth a trade up if we are at #2.

I'd be leaning towards the two impact players, Suh or Barry. both happen to be on defense, --- depending where we pick, I'd be leaning that way.

The second round, I'd be looking at RT if he is a "DOMINATE RT", if not, I'd consider TE if an impact TE is available. If not BPA.

I think the defense is not far from being real good.

Hey Jim,what about Qb? Leinhert? David Carr? Kolb isn't going anywhere...he will stay in Phily...what Vet out there worth a damn? If i hear someone say Delhomme again I'll puke'.

I agree a RT is absolutely essential but you can get RT's later...So sick of completely crappy QB play...approaching 25 years.

a RB at #2 overall? don't think there is one worthy of #2 money...do you? or later say round 2 or 3? We need a mudder...dwyer from Ga Tech? big back with speed....may be available.

I haven't looked at the draft yet, it's too early for me. How in the world did you determine we are drafting #2?

Zombo

Archived