THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini will help choose the new GM

DeadWombat

<h1>Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini will help pick new general manager

By Mary Kay Cabot

November 04, 2009, 2:20PM

mangini-timmonsjpg-5b6b3a1d3ee61f7f_medium.jpgLonnie Timmons, The Plain DealerEric ManginiBEREA, Ohio --

Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini said today he'll have input into the hiring of the team's new general manager.

Mangini's first hand-picked general manager, George Kokinis, parted ways with the Browns on Monday, with no word from either side on whether he was fired or resigned.

“Yeah, Randy and I talk a lot, so I’m sure we’ll be very engaged in that (decision),'' said Mangini.

Asked if it would hard to add a GM midway through the NFL season, he said, "we're just going through the process, so I’m not sure how that will all play out. We have to really see what’s there, see what’s available.”

He indicated that the Browns have strong enough pro and college departments to function without a GM for the rest of the season.

"I'm not sure what the timetable will be, but I do feel good about the process we have in place and the different departments we have in place,'' he said.

He said he has no doubt the team can operate efficiently right now without a GM. According to several league sources, Kokinis' role was reduced so much that things won't operate much differently than they did with him here over the past few months.

“I do feel good about all the things that we have in place, in terms of the pro department, the college department, the structures, the systems there,'' said Mangini. "The things mechanically, in terms of dealing with agents or transactions, I think (Vice President of Football Administration) Dawn Aponte is excellent at those things, so I feel strongly about our ability to function effectively in all of those areas.”

Aponte, who worked directly under Kokinis, joined the Browns this season after spending the last three in the NFL office, where she served on the League's Management Council as the Vice President of Labor Finance. With the Browns, Aponte negotiates player contracts, manages the salary cap and handles other legal matters. She huddled with Browns owner Randy Lerner for awhile after Sunday's 30-6 loss to the Bears, the night before Kokinis left the building for good.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...mangini_18.html

hmmm i dont read it as a sure thing..more of if im here i will hep..or i hope since i think Randy keeps me in the loop...

Yeah, Randy and I talk a lot, so I’m sure we’ll be very engaged in that (decision),'' said Mangini.

dead man walking?

Maybe Dabolls mom is available to be GM

He may be just saving face and blowing smoke and making it sound as if he hasn't lost his influence in decisions. IMO, from what I have read over the last few days, Lerner is going to choose a man that has no connections with Mangini, and that was reported this morning on ESPN. And that would be the best thing that lerner can do.

Well Kokinos was his hand-picked choice.

If I were Lerner, I might leave Mangini out of this decision-making process.

It's time to discern accountability and too much of this organization appears to be 'he said, she said' or 'he did it, not me' type of muddling.

I am going to point out something that seems fairly obvious to me:

George Kokinis served for years under Ozzie Newsome.

With this said, don't you think that many people would have "hand-picked" George Kokinis to work as their GM?

Per an article I read here are the categories of potential candidates for a new GM:

A. Model 1: The Experienced GM (or The Ernie Accorsi model)

possibles: Charlie Casserly, Floyd Reese, James Harris, Mike Lombardi, Carl Peterson, Ron Hill

B. Model 2: The Proven Coach taking over as GM (or the Bill Parcels model)

possibles: Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil (you could include a Billick, Cowher, Seifert, Gibbs, etc. in this group.

C. Model 3: The Experienced Front office exec. moving up: (the Scott Pioli model)

possibles: Kevin Colbert, Tom Heckert, Bill Kuharich, Randy Meuller

D. Model 4: The Young Understudy (of course, this I believe is what we have had with Savage and Kokinis here0

E. Model 5: The Complete Outsider (or the Kennesaw Mountain Landis model, where you bring someone in from out of the blue that was involved in another profession altogether)

possible: Bernie Kosar, of course. Paul Faulkner, Chief of Operations of Aston Villa, Karl Rove (we may need about as big a prick as we can find for this job),

Per an article I read here are the categories of potential candidates for a new GM:

possibles: Charlie Casserly, Floyd Reese, James Harris, Mike Lombardi, Carl Peterson, Ron Hill

possibles: Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil (you could include a Billick, Cowher, Seifert, Gibbs, etc. in this group.

C. Model 3: The Experienced Front office exec. moving up: (the Scott Pioli model)

D. Model 4: The Young Understudy (of course, this I believe is what we have had with Savage and Kokinis here0

E. Model 5: The Complete Outsider (or the Kennesaw Mountain Landis model, where you bring someone in from out of the blue that was involved in another profession altogether)

possible: Bernie Kosar, of course. Paul Faulkner, Chief of Operations of Aston Villa, Karl Rove (we may need about as big a prick as we can find for this job),

I don't think I would stray further than group A or B, but then I'm not involved in the hiring am I?

Mike

Thanks for narrowing it down for us, now I have a much better understanding of who it could be. LOL Im just glad flip a coin isnt a consideration

If Mangini has any input on the next GM like he thinks he does then we are big trouble!

What's the deal with Lombardi? I thought there was some major issues he had in Oakland at his last job but I can't remember what they were? Have you seen the scalding article Lombardi wrote about Mangini recently? If he was signed to a contract Mangini would be gone before the ink dries on his signature!

If Mangini has any input on the next GM like he thinks he does then we are big trouble!

What's the deal with Lombardi? I thought there was some major issues he had in Oakland at his last job but I can't remember what they were? Have you seen the scalding article Lombardi wrote about Mangini recently? If he was signed to a contract Mangini would be gone before the ink dries on his signature!

If we hire Mike Lombardi we can build a statue of him and say we have the Lombardi trophy.

I don't think I would stray further than group A or B, but then I'm not involved in the hiring am I?

Mike

But of course if they go get Bernie, they would be reaching down to E category. I mean, Bernie, to my knowledge has never coached, never scouted, never been in a front office other than as waterboy to Carmen Policy, has he? He has been in business and broadcasting. Though I guess if you could count his stint as a part owner of an Arena League team. Do you all think that counts for anything?

Guest 88fingerslewy

That's it, I'm done, adios....had enough. If this team were a child they would get a time-out, if it were a wife....divorce, if it were a friend....later pal. We spend our time, money and boat-loads of passion on such a steaming pile of dog-shit. Loyalty is one thing, blind following is another....I wish you all the best, thanks Stan for a great web-site . I'm done.

But of course if they go get Bernie, they would be reaching down to E category. I mean, Bernie, to my knowledge has never coached, never scouted, never been in a front office other than as waterboy to Carmen Policy, has he? He has been in business and broadcasting. Though I guess if you could count his stint as a part owner of an Arena League team. Do you all think that counts for anything?

he brought an arena team from vegas to cleveland that basically sucked and in one year it played for the arena championship.

He has "some" Football executive experience.

That's it, I'm done, adios....had enough. If this team were a child they would get a time-out, if it were a wife....divorce, if it were a friend....later pal. We spend our time, money and boat-loads of passion on such a steaming pile of dog-shit. Loyalty is one thing, blind following is another....I wish you all the best, thanks Stan for a great web-site . I'm done.

Then you are not a true fan.

Maybe try some therapy.

he brought an arena team from vegas to cleveland that basically sucked and in one year it played for the arena championship.

He has "some" Football executive experience.

OK, like I said, that was something I had overlooked. Does anyone know truly how deep BK's involvement with the Gladiators was? Does "running" (if that is what he did) an Arena League team translate to running an NFL team?

(the transition was OK for QB Kurt Warner, don't know about a GM.)

OK, like I said, that was something I had overlooked. Does anyone know truly how deep BK's involvement with the Gladiators was? Does "running" (if that is what he did) an Arena League team translate to running an NFL team?

(the transition was OK for QB Kurt Warner, don't know about a GM.)

I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

Mike

Let me repeat.

I heard on ESPN Sportscenter (sure may not be that accurate) but it was said that Lerner is looking for a GM that has NO connections with Mangini at all.

This is the smartest move Lerner could make.

I think Mangini is just saving face to be honest so that it appears Lerner has not lost faith in him. At this point in time I would not trust anything that Mangini has said to the media.

I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

Mike

Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

I don't know, but it's an interesting question.

Mike

His turn around of the Gladiators was pretty simple, he went out and got one of the most sucessful QB's in AFL history and went to the Championship his first year.

It might not be that easy to get the browns turned around but if he can get us a QB for the next 10 years it would be more then anyone has gotten us in a long time.

I say let Bernie pick the next QB and make him the QB's coach

I've wondered why past regimes hadn't brought him in at least as a tudor?

It always amazes me the way he picks defenses apart from the booth

They brought him in as a Tudor? Really? I thought he was a Plantagenet, or at least a Hanover or Windsor, one of the other Royal houses, but not a Tudor. Henry VIII with his six wives was a Tudor...where do you think Randy Lerner got the ideas to switch Head Coaches every other year? I mean, Mangini may end up like Ann Boleyn with his head chopped off.

(Just messing with your misspelling (sp.?)) :rolleyes:

why the hell would lerner let mangini do this again? does this guy ever learn from his mistakes or does mangini really have him eating out of the palm of his hand? hopefully brownskid is right and lerner is going after someone mangini doesn't like. even better i hope he gets a gm that doesn't like mangini and will can his ass.

You guys are too much. You're going off of speculation generated by a single, random comment from the coach. I wouldn't expect him to say anything contrary to that. He didn't say he would definitely be involved and neither did Lerner. You're wasting bandwith on serious supposition.

Archived