THE BROWNS BOARD

All the Talk About 11 Draft Picks

Sony Reed

I keep hearing everyone so excited that we have 11 draft picks in the 2010 draft, while its good to have this many picks we have only 4 first day picks which are one pick in rounds one and two and 2 picks in round 3. The remaining picks are all late round picks so how does everyone feel with just 4 first day picks that this draft is going to turn this team around.

Most teams are fortunate to get 2 starters from each draft and in the Browns case with only 4 first day picks and the way we have drafted and with the way Mangini drafted last season I don't see much help from 11 draft picks, yea the 1st and 2nd round picks should come and contribute immediately but with most 3rd round picks you are looking at projects or backup players and the percentage of players that make a impact after being selected in the 3rd round is not very high and the remaining 7 picks are all late round picks we might get 1 or 2 players who contribute but how much can you expect from guys taken in the 4th, 5th or 6th rounds.

This team has too many holes and this draft alone won't fill all the needs we have, as we stand today we don't have one offensive playmaker on this team so unless we plan on being active in free agency I just don't see it happening for a few years and Btw how many free agents do you really believe want to play for Mangini if he's the coach or come into this situation. We still need a new RG, RT, RB, WR, OLB, CB, S and QB thats 8 new starters and I doubt that because of his contract Steinbach is back next year which means we need a LG.

I know many people will disagree but if we could get a 1st round pick for Shaun Rogers he should be traded this offseason, we are terrible againt the run with Rogers so how bad will we be without him if we can upgrade at the linebacker positions, by the time the Browns are ready to win consistantly how much will Rogers have left.

This will be a very good draft class when all said and done...we should find starters with all the third rounders IMO!

As bad as we are, you would think so anyway.

I look at it like this...

1st rounders should start pretty much their first year if a defender or O-lineman..other positions at least get a regular rotation of reps(QB's not included).

2nd rounders should be starters by year two.

3rd rounders...half should be starters by year two, and the others at least a good 2nd option.

We shouldn't trade Rodgers. We should get him some help.

someone else who can push guys around or a bizerk pass rushing threat to be accounted for.

i'm still baffled how we could get to Aaron Rogers against GB.

was the D play calling better against Chicago?

anyways, i kinda digress....

Actually the defense played very well for very long stretches vs Green Bay..Having watched a lot of Jets games living on the east coast I see Mangini's hand print all over the defense now..Good stoutness by the front 3, Using their leverage to play proper 2 gap in a 3-4 technique..A bunch of zone blitzes..I mean 5 fumbles by the skill people and giving any NFL team a short field is bad news.Mangini gets some studs in the draft on defense..WATCH OUT

i guess.

there were good things in the GB game (i was there), but i was literally stupified at how we could not get to rogers (most sacked qb at that point, i believe) AT ALL. It didn't look like anyone even wanted to.

but maybe that's just me wanting us to be over-agressive.

i do like the talk of drafting and strengthening the D, but the O needs to improve a step or two to help them out.

Lewis retiring will help, IMO.

Oh..i agree we need some help on O.a whole lot.

i'm sure there will be balanced drafting to help fit the MANY needs, but its an excellent starting point

to bring in some fresh faces..Mangini in New York

DRAFT PICKS

Revis

Mangold

Washington

Harris

Ferguson

FREE AGENTS

Jenkins

Pace

Favre

Faneca

true. Mangini appears to be a double-edged sword in a lot of ways, but i would be interested to see what he would do with this year's off season.

(i just want to see us pull in some sold FA or guys with experience...other than former Jets)

two things stand out here. 1: what free agents want to come here? a terrible team with a a**hole coach. mix that with agents telling their clients not to sign here makes any fa progress a dream. 2: you really want mangini back next year? do you really think a new gm is going to want this pompous jackass around? hopefully our next gm isn't as dumb as as savage, lerner or mangini.

two things stand out here. 1: what free agents want to come here? a terrible team with a a**hole coach. mix that with agents telling their clients not to sign here makes any fa progress a dream. 2: you really want mangini back next year? do you really think a new gm is going to want this pompous jackass around? hopefully our next gm isn't as dumb as as savage, lerner or mangini.

Chambers would have been a good add. someone mentioned Chester Taylor or Lendale White, both of whom would be interesting additions.

Mangini needs a chance to build. there is a slight chance he knows what he's doing. He's sticking to his guns, which is ballsy for sure. either it will pay off, or it won't. People on here make the point that there is 10 years of things to fix. it's re-building. We all knew that. We just didn't expect it to be this bad.

I'd be interested in seeing what he can do. I don't know if i want him back.

i want forward progress. I want us to be (much) better next year then we are this year.

and no, a new GM likely won't keep Mangina. But then, we're back to square one AGAIN next year.

We shouldn't trade Rodgers. We should get him some help.

someone else who can push guys around or a bizerk pass rushing threat to be accounted for.

i'm still baffled how we could get to Aaron Rogers against GB.

was the D play calling better against Chicago?

anyways, i kinda digress....

It's not that our defense was called better, the Green Bay O-line is about as big a joke as ours has been. Their QB has been running for his life on nearly every snap of the last 3-4 games. It's quite surprising he hasn't been seriously injured, but I guess all the pansy calls on roughing the passer this year have left some LBs gun shy.

There are starters available at every round in the draft. I hope the scouts are working on finding diamonds in the rough this year. How this draft pans out is all up to the scouts and the rocks they turn over. I want eight good to great players in this draft. That might be shooting a little high but it is doable.

There is one thing I KNOW about pro athletes..they go anywhere if they get the f**kin MONEY..thats the bottom line.

Mangini had the same rap in NY and he convinced some quality FA's to come, so that line about no one wanting to come

is BS..they'll come if the green is right..please

There is one thing I KNOW about pro athletes..they go anywhere if they get the f**kin MONEY..thats the bottom line.

Mangini had the same rap in NY and he convinced some quality FA's to come, so that line about no one wanting to come

is BS..they'll come if the green is right..please

Agreed. If he's such a jerk then how come a malcontent like Kris Jenkins agreed to a trade? How could a perennial Pro Bowler like Faneca sign on? Calvin Pace who was being courted by several teams including Dallas and Miami? Hmmm. Thomas Jones got his best year out under Mangini.

The fact about top players and Mangini is that they get along. They get along because they know WHAT IT TAKES and willing to do WHATEVER it takes to succeed. Those are Mangini type players.

11 picks, no matter how high or low will allow for some flexibility in choice in this next draft.

There is no doubt that one draft does not a team make. You have to string together at least two, maybe three, good ones. I think Mangini added two starters and depth with his first draft.

Now, likely to have three picks in the top 100 (maybe more depending on BE in NY), it's vital that we add starters with all those picks. Some may be instant starters, while others may develop.

But later in the draft is where the Browns can get creative and take some chances due to the glut of picks they have. If we can get two or three contributors out of that, then you have the beginnings of a return of an NFL team to Cleveland.

Again, it's always darkest before the dawn. No question this is the darkest it's been, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on someone who has come in and established discipline and accountability, all the while taking out the trash.

Here's hoping that the next GM is a tremendous evaluator of talent and has some leverage to assist in making personnel decisions.

11 picks, no matter how high or low will allow for some flexibility in choice in this next draft.

There is no doubt that one draft does not a team make. You have to string together at least two, maybe three, good ones. I think Mangini added two starters and depth with his first draft.

Now, likely to have three picks in the top 100 (maybe more depending on BE in NY), it's vital that we add starters with all those picks. Some may be instant starters, while others may develop.

But later in the draft is where the Browns can get creative and take some chances due to the glut of picks they have. If we can get two or three contributors out of that, then you have the beginnings of a return of an NFL team to Cleveland.

Again, it's always darkest before the dawn. No question this is the darkest it's been, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on someone who has come in and established discipline and accountability, all the while taking out the trash.

Here's hoping that the next GM is a tremendous evaluator of talent and has some leverage to assist in making personnel decisions.

11 picks gives a ton of maneuverabilty in the early rounds. They could parlay that into two firsts easily. I would point to the Cowboys with that one bevy of picks they had for Herschel. That did make a dynasty.

I'm feeling greedy. I wonder if there's a way to add even more pics without doing something stupid.

Probably not...at least high enough to have any decent percentage of hitting, unless we do stupid things and dangle a Joe Thomas as an example.

At some point you have to consider a position fixed, and at some point you have to figure the player you have is on odds, better than the player you might get.

Players are always worth more than the pick once you start talking 4th/5th round down because the bust factor really increases.

Sure, you might get a great player, but odds are you get a guy who is out of the league in a few years.

Sonny you have a good point. and I am not going to dispute. However, that's where the scouting dept. earns it's pay and gets someone.. maybe 2 out of those 7 picks between round 4 and 7.. It can be done. Will it be done? time will tell. everyone talks about using those picks to move up.. It's easier said than done..

Archived