THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamal Lewis - Retirement

Thaak

Looks like this may be official during the bye week, not post-season.

OBR is reporting that he hasn’t practiced for two days despite being healthy.

that's a stretch. did you know they have a bye week?

some guys went home. They are healthy. They're not practicing.

Are they retiring too?

just saying.

that's a stretch. did you know they have a bye week?

some guys went home. They are healthy. They're not practicing.

Are they retiring too?

just saying.

The Browns are apparently practicing this week, bye week or not (and what a stupid question, of course I know it’s the bye week, my post even mentioned it was the bye week), and Jamal isn’t. Apparently the OBR felt it was big news to say that Jamal wasn’t practicing for two straight days.

Looks like this may be official during the bye week, not post-season.

OBR is reporting that he hasn’t practiced for two days despite being healthy.

I come across like I don't LIKE Lewis in all of my posts. I appreciate his work ethic and his desire to be a leader for the younger guys. However, I don't think he still has the big game he thinks he has. I look at the guy that was once faster than a speeding bullet and able to kock large standign buildings with the drop of a shoulder and see no such resemblence today. He seems like the ankles prevent him from getting a good burst out of his stance, which puts needless pressure on the oline to sustain their blocks longer in a division with 2 of the best defenses in the conference. Isn't that why his best plays looked like the screen passes in preseason because he could get a slow running start that could have him actually moving by the time he catches the pass with alot of defenders biting on the pass rush behind him.

I'm hoping to finally see Harrison in a bigger role and I'm sort of tired of that feeling like I'm extracting somebody's teeth without novacaine on the coachign staff. I even like what I see in Jennings as the second back plus I think Vickers is better when he's getting more reps. Vickers tends to be sloppy with drops if we put him in once every 7 or 8 plays. I think we can shore up our backfield into visible improvement the day Jamal goes.

Next year, RB shouldn't be stop-gap any more. Jeez, we've been doing this since the Terry Kirby idea. I realize William Green never completely panned out. That said, the ONLY season we made the playoffs - we kind of rode his back down the closing stretch. His last 6-8 weeks he averaged over 100 yards a game and put forth his best effort vrs the NFC Championship bound Falcons (164 rushing yards with a 74 yard TD run). Believe it or not, he had 2 games over 100 yards in 2 of the first 5 weeks of 2003 before all the off-the-field drama unfolded with him and his wife. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see us OPEN doors with a RB that can score from anywhere or simply move the chains and rest the D. It's win-win IMO. I see plenty of quality backs being drafted by teams in round 2 and 3 over the years.

I'd STILL like to see us sign a free agent WR for the passing game for the remainder of the year but it doesn't look like that's being considered for whatever reason.

- Tom F.

I come across like I don't LIKE Lewis in all of my posts. I appreciate his work ethic and his desire to be a leader for the younger guys. However, I don't think he still has the big game he thinks he has. I look at the guy that was once faster than a speeding bullet and able to kock large standign buildings with the drop of a shoulder and see no such resemblence today. He seems like the ankles prevent him from getting a good burst out of his stance, which puts needless pressure on the oline to sustain their blocks longer in a division with 2 of the best defenses in the conference. Isn't that why his best plays looked like the screen passes in preseason because he could get a slow running start that could have him actually moving by the time he catches the pass with alot of defenders biting on the pass rush behind him.

I'm hoping to finally see Harrison in a bigger role and I'm sort of tired of that feeling like I'm extracting somebody's teeth without novacaine on the coachign staff. I even like what I see in Jennings as the second back plus I think Vickers is better when he's getting more reps. Vickers tends to be sloppy with drops if we put him in once every 7 or 8 plays. I think we can shore up our backfield into visible improvement the day Jamal goes.

Next year, RB shouldn't be stop-gap any more. Jeez, we've been doing this since the Terry Kirby idea. I realize William Green never completely panned out. That said, the ONLY season we made the playoffs - we kind of rode his back down the closing stretch. His last 6-8 weeks he averaged over 100 yards a game and put forth his best effort vrs the NFC Championship bound Falcons (164 rushing yards with a 74 yard TD run). Believe it or not, he had 2 games over 100 yards in 2 of the first 5 weeks of 2003 before all the off-the-field drama unfolded with him and his wife. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see us OPEN doors with a RB that can score from anywhere or simply move the chains and rest the D. It's win-win IMO. I see plenty of quality backs being drafted by teams in round 2 and 3 over the years.

I'd STILL like to see us sign a free agent WR for the passing game for the remainder of the year but it doesn't look like that's being considered for whatever reason.

- Tom F.

I've been flamed for this many times, but I honestly love James Davis/Jerome Harrison as a two-back system. JD isn't the quintessential powerback per se, but he's still at best inbetween the tackles. He's got a great cut move, he hits the holes with purpose, and he has great ballcarrier vision. He's not like Jamal in the sense that he can bowl everybody over, but that's what a fullback is for IMO.

As for the FA WR, I really was hoping we would nab Chris Chambers. Oh well, Joey Galloway is still out there. We need another Buckeye in the WR corps.

I agree with everything say, Tom F. Jamal is definitely a shadow of his former self, and I would like nothing more than for us to get that RB who can carry an offense (with a respectable line). RB is easily my favorite position on the field. So fun to watch quality run-blocking and players with that amazing combination of speed, strength, size, coordination that you find in quality backs.

I agree with everything say, Tom F. Jamal is definitely a shadow of his former self, and I would like nothing more than for us to get that RB who can carry an offense (with a respectable line). RB is easily my favorite position on the field. So fun to watch quality run-blocking and players with that amazing combination of speed, strength, size, coordination that you find in quality backs.

Thanks Professor. RB is more our history than any other position really.

Jim Brown

Marion Motley

Bobby Mitchell

Leroy Kelly

Greg Pruitt (he was my favorite)

Mike Pruitt

Ernest Byner

Kevin Mack

Leroy Hoard

Our Lake Erie climate demands that we have a reputable running game. Sipe had one of the best passing years I've ever seen from a Browns' QB but when we played the Oakland Raiders in 37 below zero wind chills - you can forget planning your day around the pass. Well, that's what November, December and January weather consists of in Cleveland so I'm stunned we've been placing such a low priority on the RB position for the last 11 years. The NY Giants always seem to wonder what RB stud they can part with while we're all too content with stop gaps and the worn and torn.

Believe it or not, EVEN Otto Graham was a RB at the time we drafted him.

- Tom F.

Thanks Professor. RB is more our history than any other position really.

Jim Brown

Marion Motley

Bobby Mitchell

Leroy Kelly

Greg Pruitt (he was my favorite)

Mike Pruitt

Ernest Byner

Kevin Mack

Leroy Hoard

Our Lake Erie climate demands that we have a reputable running game. Sipe had one of the best passing years I've ever seen from a Browns' QB but when we played the Oakland Raiders in 37 below zero wind chills - you can forget planning your day around the pass. Well, that's what November, December and January weather consists of in Cleveland so I'm stunned we've been placing such a low priority on the RB position for the last 11 years. The NY Giants always seem to wonder what RB stud they can part with while we're all too content with stop gaps and the worn and torn.

- Tom F.

Dwyer would fit the bill in Rd 2

Jamal is a team guy. Consider all the crap that this team has been through since he signed. Has anyone heard a peep out of him? He just grabs his lunch bucket and goes to work everyday. i'll never forget him grabbing Braylon and getting in his face for going after DA on the sideline. i'm not surprised that Jamal seemed to be a favorite of Romeo and Mangini. How many of those are there?

---------------

i've said this before...... my most vivid memory of Belichick was at the Stadium during Kevin Mack's last game. Everyone knew his career was over and that he was going to retire. Mack was standing on the sidelines on that cold day and everyone in the stands wanted to say good-bye. Just one play. As the game progressed the chants became louder... Mack! Mack! Mack! During punt returns and then eventually punts..... Mack! Mack! Mack! All we wanted was for him to go in for ONE play so that we could give him the ovation that we thought he deserved. The Stadium was rocking with his name..... BB wouldn't put him in- not even for one play. As tough as it is to be a Browns fan is this era, that was one of the toughest for me.

---------------

It has been said that BB learned a lot from his stint in Cleveland. From what i've seen (as a fan), it looks like he has. i'm hoping that Mangini saw the same thing and learned that Browns fans appreciate a helluva player. Jamal deserves his day of recognition, and i hope it is this year as a Brown.

- Tom F.

Otto Graham was playing RB at the time, but the reason he was drafted was because of the skill he exhibited at QB while playing for Waukegan High School. Even though he played most of his snaps at halfback, Graham played a lot at runningback for the Bulldogs, and showed a tremendous amount of knowledge for the game.Brown never thought of him for playing RB, even though he played the position at Northwestern. It's on record that the only QB that Brown wanted for Cleveland was Otto. I've got it in a book somewhere, I just need to find it.

Archived