THE BROWNS BOARD

I Hate Defending Urban Meyer...

dencyguy

But...in this case, he just got royally screwed over by SEC commisioner Mike Slive

>>Urban Meyer of Florida became the first coach to be disciplined under the Southeastern Conference’s new policy regarding criticizing officials.

The league fined Meyer $30,000 on Friday, two days after he said referees missed a late hit against quarterback Tim Tebow in No. 1 Florida’s 41-17 win against Georgia. Meyer sent video of the play to the SEC office, but his mistake was telling reporters refs missed the call.<<

Wow, he must have really laid into the refs and accused them of taking bribes, right? Well, here's what he said:

>>“That should have been a penalty, in my opinion,” Meyer said. “Obviously, it should have been. You’ve got to protect quarterbacks. That’s the whole purpose. It’s right in front of the referee. I’m not sure how they’re going to handle that, but ... that was one of the plays we did send in.”<<

Pure BS. Slive has said it's about defending the integrity of the officials, which cannot be questioned by coaches. "I think it should have been a foul" constitutes calling the integrity of the officiating into question? Let's take a look at what Dan Mullen said after Mississippi State lost to Florida in a game which had some questionable calls :

>>On Sunday, Mullen said the replay official who worked the Bulldogs' 29-19 loss to Florida should be disciplined for not overturning an interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter by Gators linebacker Dustin Doe, who might have fumbled before reaching the goal line.

"I don't even know why we have replay right now in the Southeastern Conference if they're not going to utilize it," Mullen said.

The replay official listed for the game in Starkville on Saturday night was Dan Dembinski.

"I hope he's severely punished if he ever works another SEC game again, because I think it's completely unacceptable," Mullen said.<<

How about Lane Kiffin after losing to Alabama and bafflingly deciding to settle for a 40+ yard FG rather than try to get closer? It couldn't be the refs, could it?:

>>Kiffin said as much. He delivered a triple-whammy during his rant about a non-call on Terrence Cody for removing his helmet after blocking the game-winning field-goal attempt in the Vols' 12-10 loss to Alabama.

First, Kiffin complained about the no-call: "To me, the rule is this: If a play is still going on, you can't take your helmet off."

"I'm sure we'll get one of those letters that mean nothing that Bobby [Petrino] got last week, but Florida and Alabama live on," he said.

He continued on his conspiracy theory when he explained why he didn't run any more plays once he got into field-goal range: "I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there. You know, a magical flag appear."<<

The kicker is that neither Mullen nor Kiffin got fined for their comments, despite the fact that they were both way worse than anything Meyer did. To make things even more idiotic, people on the Knoxville News-Sentinel website are actually complaining about Meyer getting fined. Because it's unfair? Nope, because Slive is clearly only fining Meyer so that he can set Lane Kiffin up for a suspension. I kid you not.

Dennis

I think the radiation from Oak Ridge has melted these people's brains.

Archived