THE BROWNS BOARD

good read

Solon16

My favorite line in the piece was this:

"Maybe I’m out of touch with new management philosophies, but I’m not aware of any trendy books telling me that people make better decisions when you’re yelling at them. "

I remember Greedwatch. The founding family of fans who are the basis for this message board were there for the AOL/Prodigy/Usenet protests of "the move."

I am not a person to shy away from protests. I don't believe this "brown out" serves any useful purpose.

Way to go Solon!

Just out of curiosity, what brand of beer made this Mike guy the God-of-tongue for our fanbase?

At LEAST get some input from sober fans that have better concerns to address Lerner about.

1) Why aren't you involved enough to KNOW where your #1 product (the QB) is on his career path?

2) Why are you owning 2 Pro Sports franchises on 2 different sides of the Atlantic when Poseiden made your ship on Lake Erie look like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

3) What will you be doing differently now that we know you brought the Butch Davis debacle back in front of us?

4) HOW are you going to make BETTER decisions in the future than you've made up until now? Everybody makes mistakes but when those become trends over an 11 year period - it's time to look in the mirror and ask: "Am I really the best person to own this storied franchise?"

There's plenty more - I'm in somewhat of a hurry but you get my drift that these 2 knuckleheads were about as appropriate in representing you and me as the guy who threw batteries on the field in the 80s.

It seems like Randy is a nice human being that looks sincere that he wants to put a winner in front of us. Unfortunately, what makes him a better answer to our future than my grandmother? I REALY wish the 2 knuckleheads that put themselves in charge of things did more with their opportunity. I'm not sure why we're not leapfrogging Randy and going straight to Goodell for some type of intermediary resolution. Draft up a putup or stepout contract between owner and fanbase. If Randy is serious we'll see the actions speakign louder than words. If he isn't capable - we'll get our wish of new ownership with better Pro Football smarts at the business end.

- Tom F.

"Unfortunately, what makes him a better answer to our future than my grandmother?" ummm maybe billions of dollars? lol

Personally don't agree with lerner bashing...he is the exact kind of owner I want....Spends tons of cash, is hands off and a huge fan.....now as a hiring manager....he hasn't done squat....he hired savage and crennel...(fail)...whisenhut anybody? Savage seemed like he overvalued everybody he ever got involved in....his very best move aside from JT(but I was an AP fan), was lecharles....boy we would be in a different position today had Mr. Bentley lived up to expectations and not had that Freakish injury. Personally don't think most of us realize how badly the Joe J injury hurt us... he accounted for(98% sure) 39 first downs...in 07'. Anyway I can't explain giving crennel and savage...new deals then firing them(that's lerners bed to sleep in)...I was for pioli or GM first approach as well.....that's the second big mistake by lerner....but really if you look at it....he's brand new as owner, and made two big mistakes....he'll learn...I'm positive of that....bottom line for me is the unequaled horrifically bad drafting of this franchise is the only real blame....Dwight Clark was the most horrific decision this franchise has ever made!

"Unfortunately, what makes him a better answer to our future than my grandmother?" ummm maybe billions of dollars? lol

Personally don't agree with lerner bashing...he is the exact kind of owner I want....

Don't take this the wrong way but how do you leapfroig from Lerner to all Mangini's fault? Mangini hired himself? And if the Secret story bothered you about Mangini - the ONLY way somethign like this remains possible is if there is no structiure in the front office.

MOST of the league experts don't consider Mangini the PROBLEMS as much as he's become a symptom of an owner that doesn't know which side of the Atltantic ocean he needs to wake up on.

The REASON everything fails is because of the decisions an owner that doesn't have the first clue about winning continues to make.

Everytime someone tells me the problem is Chris Palmer and then Butch Davis and then Romeo Crennel and now Eric mangini my question remains - did they hire themselves?

Solon - you adore talkign about the draft and I like this about you. Go back and tell me WHEN our front office has really done the right job in the draft barring an occasional stud here and there.

Take a look at what Savage did to setting up the 08 and 09 drafts while trying to fathom that teams better than us are doubling and tripling our draft volume. The scariest thing is when I hear Randy talk the more I'm worried about his next decision and criteria for making it.

When players leave here - they spread the word that this front office is in a steady state of disarray. Why wouldn't Randy Lerner have more accountability in your opinion?

- Tom F.

Congrats to whoever wrote this article, well done and thought out.

Concerning all of the mistakes made since 1999 I think the biggest one is drafting the right players. If we had lots of tremendous players we would be winning our fair share of games. But, when you only have good players and role players without some studs you are not going to win many games. The bengals are a perfect example, they have drafted very well for a long time. Even with what I consider bad coaching they are still winning a lot more games recently than we have with the exception of one season

Everytime someone tells me the problem is Chris Palmer and then Butch Davis and then Romeo Crennel and now Eric mangini my question remains - did they hire themselves?

Solon - you adore talkign about the draft and I like this about you. Go back and tell me WHEN our front office has really done the right job in the draft barring an occasional stud here and there

Well...ol' randy didn't hire CP or BD.... too the next question...NEVER!

Yes he hasn't hired well / set up a great foundation in the front office, which is a big/huge criticism.... but as an "owner whom spends money like only a few others, and not beng hands on disruptive...I like...is all!

Dwight Clark was the most horrific decision this franchise has ever made

Congrats to whoever wrote this article, well done and thought out.

Concerning all of the mistakes made since 1999 I think the biggest one is drafting the right players. If we had lots of tremendous players we would be winning our fair share of games. But, when you only have good players and role players without some studs you are not going to win many games. The bengals are a perfect example, they have drafted very well for a long time. Even with what I consider bad coaching they are still winning a lot more games recently than we have with the exception of one season

The "whoever wrote the article" is Barry McBride, AKA ArtBeitz, Baltimore troll basher extrodinaire of AOL fame. Started out with this group, and branched out to start his own website. There's several of us on this board that go all the way back to the Dark Years with him.

Archived