THE BROWNS BOARD

Chiefs Release Larry Johnson

WebsterSlaughter

ESPN Article

In a tersely worded statement Monday, the Kansas City Chiefs announced that embattled running back Larry Johnson has been released.

Johnson on Sunday served a one-game suspension for making gay slurs. He was 75 yards from breaking Priest Holmes' franchise record (6,070) for career rushing yards.

The Chiefs suspended Johnson without pay through Sunday, the team's bye week, after he questioned coach Todd Haley's qualifications on his Twitter account and twice used a homosexual slur in an exchange with one of his Twitter followers. Last Monday, Kansas City reached a settlement with Johnson through his agent, reducing the amount of pay Johnson would lose by half, to $315,000.

The Chiefs initially cleared Johnson to return to the team's facility and participate in team activities beginning Monday. He apologized for his remarks last week, and his agent said his client had learned from the entire experience.

Last week, an online petition started by Chiefs fans asked general manager Scott Pioli to deactivate Johnson and keep him on the sideline so he could not pass Holmes' team rushing record or join the team's Ring of Honor at Arrowhead Stadium.

Johnson was one of the best running backs in the NFL in 2005 and '06, running for more than 1,700 yards each season and earning Pro Bowl honors. In 2007, he signed a five-year contract extension that guaranteed him about $19 million.

i'm pretty sure that the way mangini is going that he won't even look at him. he wants to build through the draft but if god answers prayers, then he won't even be here next season. look for a team like the seahawks, colts, raiders, 49ers (a nice 1-2 punch would be nice out there), texans, and broncos to look at him. my money is on the texans. they ahve a decent team and could win a wild card spot. slaton has been nothing like last year and they could use a running back.

Let's get em so we can find out what's really going on with the team on his twitter page. Maybe he'll call out Mangini in one of his tweet rants...Might make the rest of the season a little more interesting.

hehehe no i was hoping he could turn over a new leaf, but yeah if Mangini is forced to deal with his personalities like him it will help in the future when dealing with prima donnas like BE (lol)

I thought the national media said that it was KOKINIS that wanted to build through the draft.

Apparently, Mangini wants to build with washed up Jets players.

HAHAHA That was the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for brightening my day.

You have to have a decent sense of humor to be a cleveland fan though, right?

Are you really that desperate for a win, or just a good performance, that you are willing to throw a bucket of water in to a sinking ship rather than trying to fix the ship?

If he still has the talent then he deserves a shot. He would have learnt his lessons or atleast try to keep a cleaner image where he is going. And we know that he can perform. Our RB position needs an upgrade and the only question is can he be the upgrade even if he is a short term answer. Cos i do not see any noteworthy big RB in the draft who will be our answer to the JL retirement. If Larry is a failure then we will cut him wont we ?

well, he's had a fantastic year behind an OL that's on par with ours.....sure he can run, just not well. 2.7 YPC is right on par with what we have now, so tell me again how this would be an upgrade? he had 2 great seasons of 6.....hasn't played a full season since '06....

sure...go get 'im......he'd definitely not dissappoint....lol

Will Larry Johnson be the new RB?

With Clinton Portis likely missing Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos, the Redskins could have a new running back on the roster in the next few days. What's not as clear: whether Larry Johnson will be that new running back.

Johnson was released this morning by the Kansas City Chiefs. If he clears waivers, he'd become an unrestricted free agent and any team would be free to negotiate for his services.

There are several reasons the deal could go down. First, Portis' status is unknown. Coach Jim Zorn was essentially guessing that Portis would be unavailable this weekend. He said the running back did suffer a concussion in Sunday's loss at Atlanta. The two spoke this morning and Portis told Zorn he still had a headache. The league is taking concussions more seriously than ever, evidenced most recently by the fact that the Eagles' Brian Westbrook missed his second straight game last weekend since suffering a concussion against the Redskins on Oct. 26.

Johnson, who leaves Kansas City after a drama-filled couple of weeks, turns 30 later this month. He wouldn't be a long-term solution for the Redskins, but neither was Shaun Alexander, whom the Redskins signed last October when Ladell Betts was banged up.

Speaking to reporters today, Zorn did not rule out the possibility of the Redskins pursuing Johnson. He said the team has had internal discussions this morning and will continue to talk about the troubled running back.

Zorn said the team will likely sign a running back if Portis can't play -- he specifically mention Quinton Ganther, whom the team released last Friday. As for Johnson, "I don't know," Zorn said.

"I need to have a longer conversation than I've had to make a decision," Zorn said.

Because of his Johnson's salary -- he'd be paid a prorated sum of $4.55 million base salary for the remainder of the season -- Johnson is expected to clear waivers.

Wow this is already a topic i posted weeks ago!!!! I am for getting rid of twinkle toes who is retiring anyways but feel Johnson could add a spark for a few years until his flame burns out like lewis's did. We need to build in the draft!!!! Johnson is only a short term anwser to a long term problem.

Build through the draft............how has that worked out for the browns and the Indians.

Browns have the same record they had after the friggin expansion draft.....10 years ago.

Mangini drafts Maclin or Clay Matthews 1st rd and Rey Rey 2nd I might believe you.......but we are dead in the water

Until the new coach/pressy and gm show up.

Build through the draft............how has that worked out for the browns and the Indians.

Browns have the same record they had after the friggin expansion draft.....10 years ago.

Mangini drafts Maclin or Clay Matthews 1st rd and Rey Rey 2nd I might believe you.......but we are dead in the water

Until the new coach/pressy and gm show up.

I don't see how Maclin or Clay Matthews would have turned this team around. Even adding Rey, that's still leaving us with about 15 other trouble positions. There was no one man wonder that would have turned us around this season.

Archived