THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini: Browns have "remarkable similarities" to Patriots

next2nothing

Mangini: Browns have "remarkable similarities" to Patriots

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 9, 2009 4:49 PM ET

Browns coach Eric Mangini wants the chance to turn around Cleveland's franchise. All he needs is just a little patience. (Cue the whistling.)

"I just know when we first came into New England, they'd come off an 8-8 season, and there had to be a lot of transition,'' Mangini told the Boston Globe during Cleveland's bye week. "It was top-heavy financially, there were tough decisions that had to be made, and we didn't have much success that first year. There are remarkable similarities between the situations."

Browns owner Randy Lerner is reportedly looking for a football czar -- an executive that may not give Mangini the time he says he needs.

"I don't think we won any popularity contests there," Mangini said, speaking about Bill Belichick's first year with the Patriots. "You can look at the clips. The other thing is that with the staff we had, the approach we had, we kept getting better, but it took a while. At one point in that second year, we were 1-3, but we didn't change the approach, and then we went on a streak.

"That wasn't a function of getting hot. It was a function of two years of work. You don't know when that moment will strike, but they've been rolling since.''

There are a lot of differences we could point out -- the 2000 Patriots weren't 31st in offense and 32nd in defense -- but the key one is that Patriots owner Robert Kraft believed in the leadership structure in place. That structure started with coach Bill Belichick, and his VP of player personnel Scott Pioli, who enjoyed a close relationship by all accounts.

Mangini's hand-picked G.M. George Kokinis was just fired removed from the building. And this new czar is likely to have his own ideas about how to fix the franchise. Mangini says he welcomes help.

"The distribution of power and responsibility, that's not important," Mangini said. "Trying to get the right answer is. Everyone here's working towards that. It's not about power."

I believe in Mangini. He can turn it around. He just needs someone to help him. When I mean by help him, having someone like Holmgren or Shotty could help things. Mangini has the right idea, discipline and accountability. He just needs the right people around him.

I'm on the fence about Mangini. I'm not saying that he isn't the right guy or that he is, but I just think making a statement like this is very unwise. I know he's trying to be positive about the current situation but we're far from being the Patriots.

HOLY CRAP! You mean to tell me there is reasonable, sane talk about mangini?! The mayans must be right 2012 will be the end of the world.

There shouldn't be reasonable discussion anymore. There was a mountain of evidence the guy was a fool when he got canned in NY. When a few of us, myself included questioned his hiring here, then was the time for sane discussion. Mangenius hasn't done a damn thing to prove himself except posture like a pompous little dictator. That's working great so far!

Strikingly like the patriots....yeah right eric and you are strikingly like BB...i use to be for him before i was against him as i cheer for a club record 8 more straight losses if thats what it takes to see him go...the guy is full of pie in the sky shit but delivers an empty plate and a completely wasted 1/2 a season...

If your coach needs help to tell him to dump his buddy at OC and give BQ an evaluation then he shouldnt be an nfl coach to begin with...need your shoes tied ballboy?

There shouldn't be reasonable discussion anymore. There was a mountain of evidence the guy was a fool when he got canned in NY. When a few of us, myself included questioned his hiring here, then was the time for sane discussion. Mangenius hasn't done a damn thing to prove himself except posture like a pompous little dictator. That's working great so far!

I would love to see the evidence

I would love to see the evidence

How about the collapse down the stretch last year with the Jets? How about the fact that players, fans, and the media thought he was an asshat? How about the fact that every other genius off the Belicheck tree was a failure to the minute he was hired. He was fired by the Jets? Lerner loved him so much he hired him before he got a GM? Seems like a good start.

How about the collapse down the stretch last year with the Jets? How about the fact that players, fans, and the media thought he was an asshat? How about the fact that every other genius off the Belicheck tree was a failure to the minute he was hired. He was fired by the Jets? Lerner loved him so much he hired him before he got a GM? Seems like a good start.

You're right, Mangini went out and made Brett play like a total fool in those last four or five games. Let's forget that Brett threw 9 interceptions in the last 5 games as opposed to only 2 touchdowns. If you watch closely you can see that Mangini is actually on the field whispering in Bretty's ear which covered receiver to throw to. And I can't recall reading anything in the media that called Mangini an asshat while he was in New York. As a matter of fact, wasn't it the media that gave him the nickname "Mangenius"? And if we were 7-1 right now, you'd be praising the fact that Mangini was hired before Lerner even picked a GM. You'd be stating it as proof that he is the world's greatest coach.

Let's face it. Winning changes perspective. He could have done the exact same actions, and if he had won, we'd be praising his genius. We're losing because we have a team of rookies and scrubs right now. And if you think K2, Braylon and Sanchez could have changed everything, then you are truly stupid.

Chad Pennington? Inability to staff a team capable of effectively performing the 3-4 (like Romeo)?

If you're arguing that Chad Pennington is a good quarterback, then you must not realize the difference in talent levels between NY and Miami. Sure, he may be a good QB when you have a defense loaded with playmakers, a pretty solid special teams with an amazing return man, an "innovative" new offense that people can imitate, but never duplicate; a great running game with not one, but two starting caliber runningbacks; and Bill Parcells essentially running the entire show. But he didn't have those things in New York. And I don't think our squad is what you call "effective" at running the 3-4. We're (now) three linebackers and one DE short of an "effective" squad.

You're right, Mangini went out and made Brett play like a total fool in those last four or five games. Let's forget that Brett threw 9 interceptions in the last 5 games as opposed to only 2 touchdowns. If you watch closely you can see that Mangini is actually on the field whispering in Bretty's ear which covered receiver to throw to. And I can't recall reading anything in the media that called Mangini an asshat while he was in New York. As a matter of fact, wasn't it the media that gave him the nickname "Mangenius"? And if we were 7-1 right now, you'd be praising the fact that Mangini was hired before Lerner even picked a GM. You'd be stating it as proof that he is the world's greatest coach.

Let's face it. Winning changes perspective. He could have done the exact same actions, and if he had won, we'd be praising his genius. We're losing because we have a team of rookies and scrubs right now. And if you think K2, Braylon and Sanchez could have changed everything, then you are truly stupid.

Wow, 2 TDs to 9 ints. I finally got it!!! Mangini is delusional, he thinks Anderson is really Bret Farve!!! Mangini apparently hasn't learned from his mistakes with the Jets, refusing to bench a quarterback that's playing like crap.

Wow, 2 TDs to 9 ints. I finally got it!!! Mangini is delusional, he thinks Anderson is really Bret Farve!!! Mangini apparently hasn't learned from his mistakes with the Jets, refusing to bench a quarterback that's playing like crap.

Come on Larry, you keep harping on that and I do understand. You need to understand the team is looking to clear that 70% number. Once that happens i am sure Quinn will get the rest of the season.

While Quinns stats might be better at this point, he wasn't playing well enough to just hand him a gift wrapped 11 million dollars.

I know you get that.

I don't know at what point in the season it become nearly impossible for Quinn to attain the snaps number, but it is getting close.

It may even be this week. Possibly the team will still allow Quinn a shot at attaining his numbers with good play knowing they can always bench him later in the season a few plays here and there if his play still doesn't warrant a big bump in pay.

Bashing a HC in his first year with a team in which he needs to "work on fundamentals" all year is really weak. At this point, none of these players should need to "work on fundamentals" all year but they do because there is no talent on this team. The guy got dealt a really shitty hand is working on fixing an absolute disaster. This is a rebuilding year. I know we've heard that song before but this is the first time a coach is actually doing it instead of over-paying and drafting sexy players that don't address a long term need, and this is what change looks like.

It is way too early to hate on Mangini or any first year coach. I really do not understand why the hate is so rampant for Mangini but when we sign an undrafted rookie LB off the practice squad fans get all excited? What happened to the football IQ in this town? And people talk about this draft sucking. WHAT?! We are now 8 games into last years draft class and nobody is shooting the lights out as a rookie. In fact, if anybody is having a bomb-ass rookie year its Mack! Nonetheless, it is still too early to yay or nay any team's draft this past year, which by they way, was a really bad draft to begin with.

The point is, when a team struggles weak fans point to the easiest target available and that is the coach. They forget to look at the players on the field who are getting beat on every down by the guy lined-up across from them and who still, after a few years in the league, need to be coached fundamentals. That my friends, is the real problem with this team, not the coach. The media LOOOVES to bash Mangini because he blew the whistle on BB in NE and is now considered a tattle-tale by the league and media and has been black-balled by both. They praised Favre when the Jets were winning and they fired Mangini when the Jets were losing, because of Favre. But the fact is, the guy knows the game and talent better than a lot of guys in the league and he needs to be cut some slack in this, HIS FIRST YEAR, with an aweful owner. and an aweful roster, which, he did not put together folks.

PS. "we need to work on fundamentals" is coach speak for "HOLY SHIT!! THESE GUYS SUCK!!" And "I see similarities between NE and us right now" is coach speak for "Shut up, let me work, this can be fixed"

PS. "we need to work on fundamentals" is coach speak for "HOLY SHIT!! THESE GUYS SUCK!!" And "I see similarities between NE and us right now" is coach speak for "Shut up, let me work, this can be fixed"

Agreed, there's a lack of talent. However, there's plenty of guys who know the game (Schottenheimer) who have said the team isn't playing up to it's meager potential. You mean to tell me the Bears are that much better than the Browns? They just got blown out by Arizona.

Yeah, I love fixing things seeing Mangenius let Anderson try to set the all-time record for lowest qb rating.

The guy is one and done in my book. Bye Eric, and take DA with you.

Agreed, there's a lack of talent. However, there's plenty of guys who know the game (Schottenheimer) who have said the team isn't playing up to it's meager potential. You mean to tell me the Bears are that much better than the Browns? They just got blown out by Arizona.

Yeah, I love fixing things seeing Mangenius let Anderson try to set the all-time record for lowest qb rating.

The guy is one and done in my book. Bye Eric, and take DA with you.

As a DA supporter I can now say without a doubt that he is no better than Quinn. And so that supports my point that this team is talentless. And if we get rid of Mangini after 1 year, we'll be right back here next year saying the same things until the next guy gets fired and then we can do it all over again. Mangini may be an arrogant ass but he's our best chance of actually rebuilding this mess of a team and orginization. Like him or not, he is the first real NFL Head Coach we have had since returning in 99 and so it should be no wonder that the process looks so much different from past years. As ugly as it looks now, this is how the process works.

As a DA supporter I can now say without a doubt that he is no better than Quinn. And so that supports my point that this team is talentless. And if we get rid of Mangini after 1 year, we'll be right back here next year saying the same things until the next guy gets fired and then we can do it all over again. Mangini may be an arrogant ass but he's our best chance of actually rebuilding this mess of a team and orginization. Like him or not, he is the first real NFL Head Coach we have had since returning in 99 and so it should be no wonder that the process looks so much different from past years. As ugly as it looks now, this is how the process works.

Lets give bq 2 years and see if he isnt light years ahead of DA..but it should be mentioned dabolls offensive scheme is not suitable to either DA or BQ or even payton manning...DA is a gunslinger and bq needs lots of options this offense offers neither all it offers is 8 in the box and 3 guys 10-15 yards out..

Ultra conservative small minded non scoring offenses completely liberate defenses to stay bold..

Lets give bq 2 years and see if he isnt light years ahead of DA..but it should be mentioned dabolls offensive scheme is not suitable to either DA or BQ or even payton manning...DA is a gunslinger and bq needs lots of options this offense offers neither all it offers is 8 in the box and 3 guys 10-15 yards out..

Ultra conservative small minded non scoring offenses completely liberate defenses to stay bold..

You are exactly right except that the scheme that you mentioned above is because of Quinn's skill-set and DA is just bad. Its really hard to get a beat on what we are even doing offensively because every play involves a bad throw, a dropped pass, a fumble, a KR taking a direct snap, or an aging RB tip-toeing to the line. Which takes me back to my point that its not Mangini, its the total lack of talent and losing culture that he inherited. As for Quinn, we'll see if he improves enough for the remainder of the season to hold onto him. If not, we'll be looking for a veteren in the offseason and drafting one on the 2nd day next year. One thing for certain that Mangini has in common with BB and Parcells is that he isn't going to draft a QB high. Mangini also likes system players and isn't one to go out and grab a big name and pay him big money out of desperation. And as for giving BQ 2 MORE years to show us something, we should be saying the same about Mangini. I may be in the major minority here but I am all for giving the guy 3 years to right this ship. I think he is the best coach we have had since Marty. If my coach is going to fail, I want to make damn sure he gets ample time to prove himself so he doesn't go somewhere else and become a Bruce Arians or BB. Both of whom were hired as soon as we let them go and now look at them.

You are exactly right except that the scheme that you mentioned above is because of Quinn's skill-set and DA is just bad. Its really hard to get a beat on what we are even doing offensively because every play involves a bad throw, a dropped pass, a fumble, a KR taking a direct snap, or an aging RB tip-toeing to the line. Which takes me back to my point that its not Mangini, its the total lack of talent and losing culture that he inherited. As for Quinn, we'll see if he improves enough for the remainder of the season to hold onto him

Quinn no better than DA? HAHAHAHA. I'm going to collect on one bet this year already- Jamal Lewis won't reach 1,000 yards. And I can guarantee you Quinn will have a higher qb rating come the end of the season than DA, care to take me up on that one? It would be virtually impossible for him not to. It shouldn't have taken Mangini 5 games to come to the conclusion Anderson is currently a qb of historically bad proportions. Total mismanagement of the qb situation. Strike one Eric.

Agreed, it's not all DA's fault- but if you read the pro-Mangini article, Anderson is still making dumb decisions after three years as a starter. Yeah, I watched the entire Bengals- Ravens game, and DA has no resemblance to a real top shelf NFL quarterback whatsoever. Unbelievable how badly the guy has regressed. Mangini should have cut Anderson right after the Bears game, we have enough backup for Quinn with Cribbs and Ratliff. Speaking of Cribbs, the WildDawg is worthless if you're just going to run Josh out of it. WHY are they so afraid to let a former college qb attempt a few passes out of it? Strike two Eric.

Archived