THE BROWNS BOARD

Kosar interested in GM job

CLEVELandMILIDH

Kosar says he's interested in being the Browns G.M.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2009 6:06 PM ET

As Peter King first reported on Saturday, Browns owner Randy Lerner is looking to hire a "football czar" who would help turn around the franchise.

But with former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar already wedging a foot in the door, the football czar will have to find a way to navigate Kosar's expectations.

Though Kosar's expectations remain to be seen, he seems to be interested in being the General Manager of the team.

"Part of me wants to do it," Kosar told Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 in Cleveland, "but you have to see who you are working with and what say and what amount of organization and control and decision-making abilities you are going to be able to have."

Frankly, Kosar should have none. Though some former players have become highly competent executives (including former Browns tight end and current Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome), a guy doesn't just show up and become an expert in running a football team -- especially when that guy's personal finances are in shambles.

So just like the "football czar" will be relied upon to help Lerner extricate himself from a bad situation with coach Eric Mangini, Lerner also might need said czar to find a way to keep Kosar from getting his fingerprints all over the franchise.

As Peter King first reported on Saturday, Browns owner Randy Lerner is looking to hire a "football czar" who would help turn around the franchise.

But with former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar already wedging a foot in the door, the football czar will have to find a way to navigate Kosar's expectations.

Though Kosar's expectations remain to be seen, he seems to be interested in being the General Manager of the team.

"Part of me wants to do it," Kosar told Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 in Cleveland, "but you have to see who you are working with and what say and what amount of organization and control and decision-making abilities you are going to be able to have."

Frankly, Kosar should have none. Though some former players have become highly competent executives (including former Browns tight end and current Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome), a guy doesn't just show up and become an expert in running a football team -- especially when that guy's personal finances are in shambles.

So just like the "football czar" will be relied upon to help Lerner extricate himself from a bad situation with coach Eric Mangini, Lerner also might need said czar to find a way to keep Kosar from getting his fingerprints all over the franchise.

Didn't he take the Gladiators from last to first in a year, or was he not making any decisions?

\

I think most GMs have guys they hire to help with the money side of the contracts as well as the cap. I wouldn't mind us looking at his as a potential candidate. The guy knows so much football I think he might do a heck of a job and you know he wants it as bad for Cleveland as we do so no one will work harder. Maybe it is just wishful thinking at this point but I would like it.

Kosar's personal finances blew up because the Real Estate market- especially in Florida (ask Zombo) went to hell, and he went through a "take 'em to the cleaners" divorce with his ex.

Bernie's every bit as knowledgeable about football as Ozzie, I only hope we can get Ernie Acorsi out here to tutor him to be GM.

I refuse to think a football operations czar should have to have a blemishless financial record...he should know football and be well connected in that sense...keenan runs the books...only an uninformed banker type would think in such a way..but in the end thats likely the way lerner would see it too even though the bottom fell out on bernie just like it has millions of others..

Bernie knows football but so does the big tuna whom also understands the business end...

I am not worried about Bernie's personal issues other than maybe his Parkinsons....at least I think he has Parkinsons.

Sure, Bernie knows football, but GM is more than sounding good when talking x's and o's. He would be more qualified to be a O coordinator then GM...and O coordinator is a big stretch.

Whoever wrote this crap is an idiot. I can't believe Kosar could do any worse than some of the losers we have already had. It seems to me that Kosar bailed this franchise out once before... back in 1985, when they needed a leader to take control of the offense. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, and while I think the writer here is full of crap, he's entitled to his opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing a proven winner like Parcells or Holmgren come in as President or VP, and Kosar as the GM.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. A main part of being GM is one's knowledge of football. Not many people in the game understand football better than Bernie does. He's not going to have complete control of our money, that's what the accountants are for. Sure, he's never been an NFL GM before, but he was part owner of the Florida Panthers, and then he bought stock in the L.A. Gladiators, moved them to Cleveland, and turned them into a playoff worthy team in one year. He's had experience in the business side of professional sports, as well as his on the field experience. The man isn't stupid, and if Accorsi could mentor him in an advisory role, then I think we may have a competent front office for once.

Archived