THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn named starter

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Updated: November 10, 2009, 12:17 PM ET

Sources: Browns to go with By Adam Schefter

The Browns are not making an official announcement regarding their quarterback situation until Wednesday. But two sources said the team is expected to name Brady Quinn the starting quarterback for Monday night's game at Baltimore against the Ravens.

One Browns source said the quarterbacks were informed of the decision last week, though neither has acknowledged he was informed of coach Eric Mangini's decision.

Another team official said Tuesday that he did not have any knowledge of Mangini delivering the news to his quarterbacks.

Two other sources said they expected Quinn to be named starter.

Quinn started Cleveland's first three games before Mangini switched to Anderson for the fourth game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Anderson now is ranked last in the league in quarterback rating, and has a passer rating of only 3.1 in the fourth quarter.

Doesnt sound like a for sure thing but its deffinently the logical choice

I figured as much but at the same time was kinda hoping he would stick with DA but this guy will do anything to get the monkey off his back..this may unfortunately stop the blackout on monday night buy selling the rest of the tickets afterall...many want to see the mighty quinn fail under an insidious offensive scheme and then take the full blame before DA takes over again...;)

And of course Mangini will wait till tomorrow to say anything

Why do you CARE? Let's be honest. The guy said he wanted to tell the QB himself FIRST....which is the polite thing to do. I am so sick of people caring about wanting to know RIGHT now. It's NOT that big of a deal.

Why do you CARE? Let's be honest. The guy said he wanted to tell the QB himself FIRST....which is the polite thing to do. I am so sick of people caring about wanting to know RIGHT now. It's NOT that big of a deal.

I care because he makes this organization a circus and its just unprofessional to be so secretive, he is trying to be like Bellicik but he isnt. Bellicik doesnt have to hide his starters name after a bye-week. Give Quinn the first team reps and let him continue on without feeling like he is going to be pulled after his first mistake. THATS why I care, because I want to see SOME consistency in the offense even if the season is lost, because this team is like crack and they could start Dorsey and I would still watch them, and I want to be entertained by my crack.

I care because he makes this organization a circus and its just unprofessional to be so secretive, he is trying to be like Bellicik but he isnt. Bellicik doesnt have to hide his starters name after a bye-week. Give Quinn the first team reps and let him continue on without feeling like he is going to be pulled after his first mistake. THATS why I care, because I want to see SOME consistency in the offense even if the season is lost, because this team is like crack and they could start Dorsey and I would still watch them, and I want to be entertained by my crack.

The players have been gone on the bye. He wanted to tell Quinn himself rather than have Quinn find out in the media. That's the professional thing to do.

You did make me laugh about your crack though...LOL.

And of course Mangini will wait till tomorrow to say anything

So what?

I agree with this move. Let's get an extended look at Quinn now that a bit of the transition has been made with MoMass and Robo getting some starts under their belt. Let's face it, if we all would have seen Quinn play over these last several games, with no base for comparison, we'd have no hope and we'd have $11 million less to pay 2010 players.

We might still not be able to make a real read on Quinn after this season . . . but would the extra 4-5 games really help all that much with the offense in the state it's been in? Low expectations and a chance to show something to the Browns and the NFL world. Here's hoping Quinn can take advantage of it.

Baltimore is the 19th rated pass defense, giving up an average of 258 yards a game, a 63% completion percentage, and an average Passer rating of 87. Of the teams we've played only the Vikings (average passer rating of 90.3 against and 64% completion percentage against) is worse looking outside of unimportant yardage statistic.

The average passer rating against the Bills, for instance is 59.7

If we can get it together this week, Quinn might be able to have a decent game.

At this point, DA does not give you the "best chance" to win. You still have up to eight games to see what Quinn can do. At that point, if he doesn't show that he's got starter potential then Mangini (or whoever is calling the shots) will have actual game experience with which to decide. You MUST know what you have in Quinn by season's end.

I am not surprised that DA got this much of a leash because:

1) if you took him out after two games, you'd have people clamoring that we didn't give him a fair shot (same thing that happened with Quinn) and it remains a circus.

2) Good or bad, there was some stability over five or so weeks to say "you're in a hole DA...dig yourself out". There is no question in my mind now about Derek Anderson.

3) In NY, during the 4-12 season, Pennington was named QB after the preseason battle with Kellen Clemens. People were calling into the radio shows and ready to jump off of buildings because he wouldn't change to Clemens after week 2. Pennington got a good long look and then finally Mangini switched to see what Clemens had to offer. I think that if you switch QBs quickly and often...you show a definite lack of commitment which makes it hard to run the team effectively. It also seems like the easiest way to lose a locker-room.

I would also offer that in NY Clemens came in and basically showed that he couldn't unseat Pennington and it brings home the point that while we may watch these guys for three hours on Sunday....these coaches watch the tape over and over and watch them in practice. They know the calls. They know what the reads were. They know if the decision-making was right or whether the execution sucked. They have a lot more information to work with than we do.

Wow!

Where are all the DA lovers?

I've yet to see the "I was so very wrong" thread. Even if Quinn doesn't start, you have to admit DA is a slug and has been since second half of 07'.

Quinn better show something if we want a strong draft. I'm surprised Quinn actually still wants to play here. What are the odds he lights it up the second half and then demands a trade?

Slim and none, i know. But a QB rating over 36.1 would be a good start.

Let's try a qb rating over 80 for this game since Bmore's average rating against is 87. Something over 36.1 isn't good enough, just like something over 36.1 wouldn't have been good enough for DA in my mind.

I hope this is the beginning of a long and sweet career for brady quinn in cleveland.

Wow!

Where are all the DA lovers?

I've yet to see the "I was so very wrong" thread. Even if Quinn doesn't start, you have to admit DA is a slug and has been since second half of 07'.

Quinn better show something if we want a strong draft. I'm surprised Quinn actually still wants to play here. What are the odds he lights it up the second half and then demands a trade?

Slim and none, i know. But a QB rating over 36.1 would be a good start.

THough i pulled for Quinn to start the season i gave up on him quicker than Mangini only because i still had a little hope for DA...I admit now that i am wrong for wanting DA ..hes just so tempting with the gun and all..haha

seriosuly if somehow someway Quinn can improve and look like a real QB ..we ALL would be thrilled....i am pulling for #10

THough i pulled for Quinn to start the season i gave up on him quicker than Mangini only because i still had a little hope for DA...I admit now that i am wrong for wanting DA ..hes just so tempting with the gun and all..haha

seriosuly if somehow someway Quinn can improve and look like a real QB ..we ALL would be thrilled....i am pulling for #10

I agree. Not sure why some have planted themselves so far on one side or another, I've waffled for years now, just hoping one of these bastards would grab the bull by the horn while expecting both to do so!

With Quinn:

I didn't want to draft him in the spot we got Joe Thomas.

Was thrilled when we dipped back into the first round to get him though (as it showed we were trying to make a play).

I thought he was an idiot for holding out.

Could have cared less to see him in 2007.

Could have cared less to see him in 2008, and when we did, it was like a premature ejaculation (so I hear).

Was looking for him to wow the new coaching staff and erase all doubt in the off season and preseason of 2009.

Supported him starting the opener even though he didn't win the start, but received it by default.

Was ready to see him replaced 10 quarters into the season and glad that he was.

Was pretty disappointed to hear that even Bernie Kosar after being in the building for only one-week agreed that the kid should seek employment elsewhere, yikes!

Will support him if he starts again, but losing expectations by the minute.

With Anderson:

Thought, "Derek Who" when he was acquired from the Ravens ... then I think I yawned.

Blew my load on the guy in front of me when ole Horse Balls lit it up Home game after Home game in 2007.

Was still riding high on my cannon armed little friend even through the Cincy game in late 2007.

Figured the coaching got out-coached in preparing an offense to counter his strengths & weaknesses, and looked forward to a revamped offense being built around his strengths with knowledge to counter his weaknesses as they were grown and he named starter in 2008.

Scratched my head all season in 2008, supported Quinn as I supported Gradkowski, looking for something.

Was expecting for Quinn to beat out Horse Balls this past off-season, not for Horse Balls to hand it to him.

Was ready for ole Horse Balls to trot out onto the field for quarter #11 this season.

Tossed the 3 INT's that half out the window, was ready for a clean start against the Bengals and we took them to OT.

Scratched my head and nut-sack over that barn burner in Buffalo.

Was more eager to see Josh Cribbs behind center by week #6.

Cried in fetal position for hours after Week #7

Cried in fetal position for hours after Week #8

Embraced the Bye Week as if it were a 12-pack after mowing the lawn in 9-degree temps.

Was hoping the Browns would move to LA during the Bye Week, but now that they stayed, I just wish I'd catch the Shine flu and die a slow painful death ... but if I have too, I'll look forward to doing the opposite that DawgPound Mike asks of me and will be in my seats early for once next Monday night.

Oh, Quinn is starting .... ummm ... Great .... I was wrong all along ... sigh.

I agree. Not sure why some have planted themselves so far on one side or another, I've waffled for years now, just hoping one of these bastards would grab the bull by the horn while expecting both to do so!

With Quinn:

Was thrilled when we dipped back into the first round to get him though (as it showed we were trying to make a play).

Could have cared less to see him in 2008, and when we did, it was like a premature ejaculation (so I hear).

Was looking for him to wow the new coaching staff and erase all doubt in the off season and preseason of 2009.

Supported him starting the opener even though he didn't win the start, but received it by default.

Was pretty disappointed to hear that even Bernie Kosar after being in the building for only one-week agreed that the kid should seek employment elsewhere, yikes!

With Anderson:

Thought, "Derek Who" when he was acquired from the Ravens ... then I think I yawned.

Blew my load on the guy in front of me when ole Horse Balls lit it up Home game after Home game in 2007.

Was still riding high on my cannon armed little friend even through the Cincy game in late 2007.

Figured the coaching got out-coached in preparing an offense to counter his strengths & weaknesses, and looked forward to a revamped offense being built around his strengths with knowledge to counter his weaknesses as they were grown and he named starter in 2008.

Scratched my head all season in 2008, supported Quinn as I supported Gradkowski, looking for something.

Was expecting for Quinn to beat out Horse Balls this past off-season, not for Horse Balls to hand it to him.

Was ready for ole Horse Balls to trot out onto the field for quarter #11 this season.

Tossed the 3 INT's that half out the window, was ready for a clean start against the Bengals and we took them to OT.

Embraced the Bye Week as if it were a 12-pack after mowing the lawn in 9-degree temps.

Was hoping the Browns would move to LA during the Bye Week, but now that they stayed, I just wish I'd catch the Shine flu and die a slow painful death ... but if I have too, I'll look forward to doing the opposite that DawgPound Mike asks of me and will be in my seats early for once next Monday night.

yup.... that pretty much sums up the last month or so in one sentence lol

With Quinn:

With Anderson:

Sounds like your ready to be medicated.

This years team has been the cause of much abuse. Psychological and Chemical abuse that is.

Belichick also has Tom Brady as his quarterback. I know they may share a name, but Brady Quinn and Tom Brady are two very different quarterbacks. It's stupid that everybody is getting so riled up over Mangini not naming his starter this time. Last time, I get it, he shouldn't have waited until the hour before. But it's Wednesday. Wednesday, people. The game isn't until Monday. You still have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and 20 hours of Monday to bemoan this decision and belittle our HC and franchise.

When you've watched DA absolutely SUCK for the last MONTH, have the LOWEST QB rating in the history of the NFL, and you have to THINK ABOUT who you're gonna start next game? THAT just solidifies Mangini's ranking as a complete IDIOT!!

You really think he had to THINK ABOUT it? Come on, man...

Archived