THE BROWNS BOARD

Boycott the boycott

ATENEARS

The Baltimore Browns Ravens are in town, and where is out hatred directed? That's right, at the Cleveland Browns sideline.

It's not you say? It's at the owner? Really? Have you stopped to read what Dawgpound Mike's real focus is?

After meeting with Lerner, this 'dawg' (Mike) is clearing Lerner off the hook. Mike, your leader, is only concerned with running Mangini out of town, and changing a few stadium rules.

That's cry baby stuff.

This boycott is an embarrassment to this once proud fan base.

Join the OBR, www.realfansdontmisskickoff.com and TheBrownsBoard in boycotting this fiasco of a fan movement that is only going to accomplish one thing and that is to embarrass this city even more than she already is on a daily basis.

It's not to late for Dawgpound Mike to save face and call this boycott off.

Stan:

As you pointed out a while ago, the money is already spent and standing out in the tunnels is stupid!

If you want to truly boycott, don't go anywhere near Cleveland for the MNF game, even though the money has been spent "for that game", it would show that you are willing to sacrifice to make your point......standing in the tunnel watching the TV's for a few minutes is idiotic!

I don't want to boycott. There have been plenty of things to boycott 14 years ago, this don't come close to ranking.

Boycott Lerner? Be careful what you wish for fella's, next thing you know our Browns will be wearing teal & black, a fancy company name such as 'Smuckers' will be slapped on our stadium and an insect will be plastered on the side of our helmets as our new logo.

Believe me, Lerner wants this ship righted more than any of us.

Knowing this team needed stripped down to the skelton and rebuilt right, shouldn't suprise anyone of the record, what should surprise you is that Mangini had the balls to do it right and take the hit for it.

11 stockpiled Draft picks and great cap space, with the dirty work damn near complete in year 1/2 is room to celebrate and support this regime, not boycott.

Can anyone explain what we are supposed to be boycotting?

I think now it is about being able to use profanity in the dawgpound and be able to stand without someone asking you to sit down.

... seriously, no joke.

This thing should have been called off the minute the meeting was over between Dawgpound Mike & Lerner.

I actually posted to Dawgpound Mike on Facebook, him and TheBrownsBoard are registered friends. I attempted to ask him what the Boycott was about and ask why his meeting with Lerner didn't accomplish what he set out to accomplish ... but it kept kicking back an error message that read,

"Oops, Something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can. You may be able to try again."

You know, with all the press this boycott has gotten, the meeting with Lerner, the radio show, the articles on the meeting with Lerner and the fans, et. al. the whole reason for the boycott is moot now. The point they wanted to make with the boycott has been made in spades.

You know, with all the press this boycott has gotten, the meeting with Lerner, the radio show, the articles on the meeting with Lerner and the fans, et. al. the whole reason for the boycott is moot now. The point they wanted to make with the boycott has been made in spades.

That's what I'm thinking and why I wanted to ask Mike straight-up what it is continuing on for.

(Well we all know why ... just want to see Mike struggle with the self promotion part)

While I cannot be at the game, I expect to see the REAL Brown's fans IN their seats at the start of the game. After Lerner met with them, any reason for this so called protest went in the tank.

I agree...we don't need this embarrassment to fuel more media crap.

Mike

I don't want to boycott. There have been plenty of things to boycott 14 years ago, this don't come close to ranking.

Boycott Lerner? Be careful what you wish for fella's, next thing you know our Browns will be wearing teal & black, a fancy company name such as 'Smuckers' will be slapped on our stadium and an insect will be plastered on the side of our helmets as our new logo.

Believe me, Lerner wants this ship righted more than any of us.

Knowing this team needed stripped down to the skelton and rebuilt right, shouldn't suprise anyone of the record, what should surprise you is that Mangini had the balls to do it right and take the hit for it.

11 stockpiled Draft picks and great cap space, with the dirty work damn near complete in year 1/2 is room to celebrate and support this regime, not boycott.

Wow stan mangini hasnt done it right...he has replaced talented malcontents with mediocre tired bones..doing it right would have meant doing it tuna style...before the season began..keeping DA around was mistake one keeping daboll will cost the idiot his job...

As far as lerner goes if he moves the team big deal as long as cleveland gets an expansion...the guy isnt fit nor deserves to own this franchise...he inherited it...and has actually made it worse in the 7 years he has had control..i stand with the majority of the not so dumb fans that have had enough of lerners mishandling this team and support the fixing of this organization or lerners departure as owner fully...it really doesnt do much of anything except gives an early indicator of things to come in decievedland if lerner is irresponsible again in his choices...and yeah part of rebuilding true browns culture begins with more laxed rules in the stadium...i feel more at home in riverfront stadium than i do at municiple since al lerner installed the sit down and shut up stuff granted you cant have fans throwing batteries at players and refs but come on..i will never go to another browns home game until i can stand and bark as long as i want..yeah thats what going to a browns game means to me..not being insulted and threatened when ive done nothing wrong...GO BOYCOTT! ;)

If it helps to expose and humiliate mr invisible and his puppet fatgini im for it!

The Baltimore Browns Ravens are in town, and where is out hatred directed? That's right, at the Cleveland Browns sideline.

It's not you say? It's at the owner? Really? Have you stopped to read what Dawgpound Mike's real focus is?

After meeting with Lerner, this 'dawg' (Mike) is clearing Lerner off the hook. Mike, your leader, is only concerned with running Mangini out of town, and changing a few stadium rules.

That's cry baby stuff.

This boycott is an embarrassment to this once proud fan base.

Join the OBR, www.realfansdontmisskickoff.com and TheBrownsBoard in boycotting this fiasco of a fan movement that is only going to accomplish one thing and that is to embarrass this city even more than she already is on a daily basis.

It's not to late for Dawgpound Mike to save face and call this boycott off.

I always viewed it as something a half ass fan would consider.

Only a moron would think Lerner doesn't know things aren't as they should be.

If I was Lerner, I would make a point of saying the meeting with Mike made it clear we need to bring in the best people possible and since pound seats are the cheapest in the house, it was going to be necessary to raise the price of pound seats by 30%.

Anyone want to go to the game and guarantee they'll be in their seats early and stay there throughout the silly boycott? Send me an email. My seats are available for an extremely reasonable price.

More on the protest to Dawgpound Mike's Protest

Good Read from: http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/

As events have developed since we first learned about Dawg Pound Mike's much-publicized Browns fan protest, we've become increasingly sure that his protest will result in a net embarrassment for Cleveland and its Browns unless it's met with a certain kind of response: Specifically, Cleveland fans in their seats at kickoff next Monday night yelling louder than ever, in a show of good faith support for our Browns and our new coach Eric Mangini, and in recognition of the fact that a job as difficult as turning the Lerner-era Browns into a winner is a job that will take time, and a job that deserves our patience and good faith.

To%20the%20HOUSE.jpg

(How about something special, team?)

We're sure that a show of support like this will accomplish more than Dawg Pound Mike's protest could ever do. The possibility of a kickoff return touchdown by Josh Cribbs -- which would make for one of the very best moments in "New" Browns history -- is just icing on the cake here.

Anthony Fossaceca of Real Fans Don't Miss Kickoff reminds us of another good thing that a hearty "protest to the protest" will show:

We all knew this year was going to be a rebuilding year. And most of us wanted the team to start from scratch. . . . This is Cleveland. We're tough. We're loyal.

But we're not blindly loyal, nor should we be. Which is a big reason why Mike's protest has received so much attention. Mike's protest itself and events that have occurred since it was first announced implicate important issues of a franchise's accountability to its fans, and the direction and future of the Cleveland Browns. But even a quick analysis of these issues shows that loyalty next Monday night is exactly what's called for in Cleveland.

We laid out our reasons for protesting Mike's protest in detail here last week, and won't rehash all of that here. Rather, we'll address some of the questions that have come up in response to last week's post, and a pair of radio debates that we had with Mike late last week.

The first issue is with Mike's claim that he doesn't represent Browns fans, and that his protest is merely grounded in "what he feels," and "what he believes."

With this claim, Mike seeks to entirely avoid our original criticism of his protest -- that it undermines Eric Mangini's rebuilding process with no discernible gain. We noted that impatience and complaining are easy, and that while Browns fans have had as much to complain about as any fanbase in sport thanks to Randy Lerner's failed leadership, now -- when we finally appear to have a head coach in place who's trying to fill the leadership vacuum -- is not the time to complain, but rather, the time to let the coach do his difficult job.

Mike's response to this is to basically say, "hey, you have your beliefs and I have mine, I don't represent you, I'm just expressing what I believe and feel."

All this response does is raise serious questions about why Randy Lerner would ever choose to publicly meet with a Browns fan who expressly disclaims any public representativeness of Browns fans. It makes Lerner look like a fool, and it makes his decision to meet with Mike come off as an empty PR stunt. If Mike makes no effort to give voice to different reasonable fan views, takes a view that represents impatience and the ease of complaining about a hard job, and Lerner meets with him, then Lerner sends a message that that is the view that he thinks is most important. That alone is plenty of reason for us to be yelling in our seats at kickoff on Monday.

Which gets us to the second main problem with Mike's protest. That is, that Mike wants to run Eric Mangini out of town after eight games -- a fact that we got him to publicly admit last week -- yet he has not one word of criticism for Randy Lerner, the owner who has been the lone constant throughout a decade of unprecedented failure.

Mike's response to the questions raised by this criticism at least suggests that he's willing to be manipulated by Lerner for his own short term gain, if not that Lerner is, in fact, manipulating him. Specifically, Mike's response is to point out how sure he is that "Randy Lerner wants to win now," and then to express his certainty that Eric Mangini can never be a winner in this town. So first consider what it looks like when Mike uses his power as a high-profile "Hall of Fame" Browns fan to organize a protest, Randy Lerner then meets with him, and Mike comes out effusively supportive of Lerner. Then consider how bizarre it seems for Mike to be so sure that Randy Lerner can figure out how to "win now" after a decade of fail, while at the same time being so sure that Mangini, a man who's forgotten more success in football than Lerner has ever known, can never succeed in this town. This makes Mike look like a puppet of Lerner, and is another great reason for us to be loud in our seats at kickoff on Monday, to show Lerner that we won't be manipulated by publicity stunts, and that, first and foremost, we care about the football on the field.

We would feel better about all of this, of course, if Mike's reasons for wanting to run Eric Mangini out of town made any sense to us. These reasons boil down to the following: 1) Dawg Pound Mike has "heard things about Mangini that he can't tell us, but we wouldn't believe;" 2) That Mangini is "secretive;" and 3) That the Browns have shown no progress on the field.

Which brings us full-circle, because Mike has never explained, nor could he, not only why an NFL coach shouldn't maintain a certain secrecy for strategic reasons (in the Belichick mold), but more importantly why a massive rebuilding project doesn't require a lot of tearing down before any progress is made in building up. Vague allegations that "players don't play hard" for Mangini don't do it. Even NFL defenses get tired, especially defensive backs, when they're forced to be on the field too much by an offense that can't compete because it had to ship its only two talented skill position players off because they were jerks.

That Mangini knew to ship Braylon and Winslow off in the first place ought to be a good enough sign of progress for anyone who understands what "rebuilding" means. The discipline reflected in the improved special teams play and reduced penalties provide additional rays of hope. There are eleven draftees coming next season, and there's a lot of room under that salary cap.

These are the best signs we've seen seen of anyone trying to build a systematic winning culture here with our Browns since 1999. To run this person out of town now, just as he's getting started, is bad enough. To do it in a way that shows support for an owner who's been the only constant in this decade of unprecedented failure would simply be a tragedy.

One need not be supportive of Eric Mangini to understand that second point. The paradox here is that Mike's protest is being used in a way that keeps Randy Lerner off the hook.

There are surely ways for an NFL owner to be held accountable to fans, and improved dialogue can surely help matters, but this isn't that. Whatever one thinks of Mangini, what's going on here with this protest is a puppet show. And a mess.

If a franchise is ever to be truly held accountable to its fans, a certain measure of good faith is required. If we're going to stand for something in Cleveland Browns Stadium, we should stand for something that makes sense. Hopefully you'll be standing with us at kickoff on Monday Night.

Details on tailgate festivities will be posted here as we get them. If you're planning something special yourself, please let us know.

Also, please sign the petition linked here, and join the Real Fans Don't Miss Kickoff Facebook group.

Thanks.

Keep it up, you are on a roll!

The boycott has already accomplished what it wanted to, two great browns fans met face to face with lerner. And, they were convinced that Lerner does want the browns to be a great team. I don't know what else can be accomplished that will exceed a face to face meeting

Wow stan mangini hasnt done it right...he has replaced talented malcontents with mediocre tired bones..doing it right would have meant doing it tuna style...before the season began.

The Dolphins are 3-5, and have built around SEVEN different QB's in SEVEN straight Years.

Regardless, did you ever take a second to look at how Parcells turned around a 1-15 team?

First of all, he release Zach Thomas, and traded Jason Taylor for a 2nd round pick in the following season's draft. Kind of sounds like Kellen Winslow & Braylon Edwrads type moves, huh? Although even moreso of fan favorites and better talents.

He then signed 20 lesser known Free Agents, or dare I say 'Character guys' ... again, similar to what Mangini is doing, no?

He took amn Offensive tackle with his first pick, we have an OT, so Mangini took a Center who has proved to be a worthy pick.He also went out and signed Chad Pennington, (whom he drafted in his Jets days). Hmmm ... imagine that. That team already had Ronnie Brown & Ricky Williams, and already had Ted Ginn Jr. who is the teams leading WR.

Give Mangini a chance.

keeping DA around was mistake one keeping daboll will cost the idiot his job...

He wasn't responsible for inking DA to a large deal, nor responsible for Quinn being here either, but taking a year to clean house and see what he has in both wasn't a ill advised move at all.

He rolled with Daboll, modelling after rolling with Schottenheimer as a first year OC with the Jets. Give him a chance to righten the ship, he had a large task in front of him coming here to take this job.

As far as lerner goes if he moves the team big deal as long as cleveland gets an expansion.

That is the dumbest thing I've read yet, and I have read plenty of dawgpound Mike's second-grade rantings.

..the guy isnt fit nor deserves to own this franchise...he inherited it...and has actually made it worse in the 7 years he has had control..i stand with the majority of the not so dumb fans that have had enough of lerners mishandling this team and support the fixing of this organization or lerners departure as owner fully...it really doesnt do much of anything except gives an early indicator of things to come in decievedland if lerner is irresponsible again in his choices...

But this boycott sin't about Lerner ... read the above post and interview of Dawgpound MeMe Mike.

and yeah part of rebuilding true browns culture begins with more laxed rules in the stadium...i feel more at home in riverfront stadium than i do at municiple since al lerner installed the sit down and shut up stuff granted you cant have fans throwing batteries at players and refs but come on..i will never go to another browns home game until i can stand and bark as long as i want..yeah thats what going to a browns game means to me..not being insulted and threatened when ive done nothing wrong...GO BOYCOTT! ;)

Ok, come back when we win! Yea!

If it helps to expose and humiliate mr invisible and his puppet fatgini im for it!

Done, there has been National press, a meeting with the owner (or two?) ... but what is attending the game, just a little late gonna do to help this any further? Isn't just gonna give us fans a label, not the ownership? Stand unite and come out and support the team to it's fullest and give the fans a positive/good name for themselves while demonstarting the same aspects toward the owner.

Don't re-new your season tickets next year, don't buy any more tickets, don't come ... but the delayed grand enterance is stupid and self promoting only to one of the original Charlie Frye Guys.

I just read the blog on Dawgpound Mikes web site about his meeting with Lerner and am even more convinced that Lerner is a complete buffoon! Lerner now has created a monster in this guy and all of his mignonettes.

DM now sees himself as part of the Browns hierarchy and WILL become another embarrassment for the Browns......mark my words, things will not end well between DM and the Browns/Lerner......they will not be taking long showers together anymore.

I understand wanting to preserve the Browns history, I understand wanting the stadium desterilized, but fighting for the right to be an asshole in the pound is stupid and Lerner has to be laughing his ass off about that one! I wonder if DM asked Lerner if he could provide batteries and beer bottles too?

Lerner says he was not ready to be an owner.....no shit!

This is like asking your 3 year old how you should run your home!

And the guy seriously wonders why people have it in for him over this. First he embarrassed us as a Frye Guy, then wears that big plastic bone on his head and frowns for the camera, now this ...

His rant on his web site reads like an elementary school kids rant. I hear his Twitter page is even worst, but have no intention of finding out.

You are right though, Dawgpound Mike is in for a rude awakening, this cat is gonna be riddicued beyond belief for this shit and I don't think he has any clue.

Wow stan mangini hasnt done it right...he has replaced talented malcontents with mediocre tired bones..doing it right would have meant doing it tuna style...before the season began..keeping DA around was mistake one keeping daboll will cost the idiot his job...

As far as lerner goes if he moves the team big deal as long as cleveland gets an expansion...the guy isnt fit nor deserves to own this franchise...he inherited it...and has actually made it worse in the 7 years he has had control..i stand with the majority of the not so dumb fans that have had enough of lerners mishandling this team and support the fixing of this organization or lerners departure as owner fully...it really doesnt do much of anything except gives an early indicator of things to come in decievedland if lerner is irresponsible again in his choices...and yeah part of rebuilding true browns culture begins with more laxed rules in the stadium...i feel more at home in riverfront stadium than i do at municiple since al lerner installed the sit down and shut up stuff granted you cant have fans throwing batteries at players and refs but come on..i will never go to another browns home game until i can stand and bark as long as i want..yeah thats what going to a browns game means to me..not being insulted and threatened when ive done nothing wrong...GO BOYCOTT! ;)

I find it a pain in the ass to have to constantly stand up the whole game because the doofus in front of me stands up. Then the idiot behind me drops beer on my back and I want to ranger choke hold the asshole and throw him seven rows down. Okay, I'm done. :angry:

I find it a pain in the ass to have to constantly stand up the whole game because the doofus in front of me stands up. Then the idiot behind me drops beer on my back and I want to ranger choke hold the asshole and throw him seven rows down. Okay, I'm done. :angry:

I agree. Seats are there for a reason.

I still couldnt be more against a losing football culture brought on by wanting to prevent opposing players from getting pelted with batteries and lerners wanky decision making proccess paying others to advise him of the right choices..lol theres better ways to handle both randy...

You two seem to be pretty sensible Browns fans (is that an oxy-moron?) ;) who go to a game to see the team play rather than get drunk and abusive. Do you find it appalling that the "supposed voice of the Browns fans" would ask for things like being able to call a ref an asshole, standing up in the pound, noise makers, etc.?

Ive been to three rivers in the past and stooler fans just like old browns fans give the refs opposing players and opposing fans a lot of lip and i even recieved a few free cups of beer dumped over my head for barking and growling i only barked louder...it was fun! :)

As for batteries...i was for throwing batteries before i was against it...home stadiums should be very loud and somewhat hostile for the opponent but throwing stuff is another thing alltogether...;)

Archived