THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns' QB Brady Quinn will start MNF vs. Baltimore Ravens

BrownIndian

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini today named Brady Quinn the starting quarterback for Monday night's game against the Ravens at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Quinn replaces Derek Anderson, who went 1-4 in his five starts.

"He's had good weeks of practice,'' said Mangini. "He's worked hard since the first transition was made. I look forward to him taking advantage of this opportunity and helping us improve.''

Quinn went 0-3 in his three starts, getting pulled at halftime of the 34-3 loss to the Ravens in Week 3.

"I like to think guys continue to improve throughout the course of the season,'' Mangini said. "There are times where I fell like he really knew where to go with the ball. I've seen him make a lot of good decisions. If you make a mistake, you make a mistake.''

Mangini said he goes into the switch hoping that he doesn't have to make another change anytime soon.

"I really like Derek Anderson,'' said Mangini. "It's an opportunity for him to continue to grow and I think he will.''

"Mangini said he goes into the switch hoping that he doesn't have to make another change anytime soon."

This really sounds like a ringing endorsement for Quinn! So...the situation is even worse now because Brady was removed prematurely once already and now his head coach opens his mouth and lets out this supportive quote? I liked the Mangini hire and I will be the first to admit that I backed him up. But I am finding myself wishing that we would have held on for one more year of Romeo in hopes of luring in the Chin or Shanahan after this season. How can Mangini expect his QB (whoever it is on any given day) to have any confidence in themself if he has none in them?!

Braingenie is just to smart for anyone fan or opponent alike we could have never guessed....now the real question.. what is the sleezebuckets angle because this sleeze does nothing unless its benificial only to himself...blame quinn again? or just appeasing the hometown dumbasses for a half or a game before re-inserting DA for an icy spark?

Brady Quinn still has a slim (not great) chance to get his extra money. The Browns' offense has managed to muster up only 463 plays during the first half of the season. That is a very low amount. Of those, Brady has 141 of them. If he can guide this team to 611 offensive snaps in the second half, he will still get to his 70%. Like I said...slim chance...but not likely. But hey...I hope he's able to do it. If he can, then this team will be fun to watch this second half!

The one thing that the Browns coaching staff, and especially Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll need to look at is the passing attack of the Denver Broncos, and their quarterback Kyle Orton.

Bronco's rookie Head Coach Josh McDaniels was heavily criticized for trading away quarterback Jay Cutler to get Orton in return from the Chicago Bears, but at midseason Orton is by far a better fit in Denver than Cutler would have been, because of the offensive system that is in place.

Now McDaniels' decision to get Orton looks like the trade of the year.

Orton does not have the strongest arm in the NFL, but he does have the passion to play, and the intelligence to understand defensive formations, and make the adjustments to counter it.

Sounds like a very similar description to Quinn.

The most astonishing statistic about Orton and the Broncos' passing attack, is that fact that they run a short, ball controlled attack with very few passes longer than 25 yards.

A stat was shown, during one of the most recent Broncos games on television, and Orton completes 83-percent of his passes thrown under 10 yards, but past 10 yards his completion percentage drops dramatically. From 11-24 yards Orton's completion percentage drops to 18-percent, and then over 25-plus yards it's only 12-percent.

These numbers might make you think that the Broncos should be struggling to move the ball, but they have moved it very, very well to the point where they are 6-2 for the season, and sitting atop of the AFC West Division.

Also to give credit where credit is due, Josh McDaniels is a quarterback development God. In the past, he has worked with, and further developed Tom Brady, but he then made a starter out of Brady's backup Matt Cassel last year when Brady went down with an injury. Now he has turned Orton into one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL.

Getting back to the point, so the formula of a short passing attack can work with a quarterback who may not have the strongest arm in the NFL, so why can't the Browns copy this format to allow Quinn to successfully move the offense?

That is the million (or more appropriately, the $11 million) question?

In all honesty, the Broncos do have an All-Pro wide receiver in Brandon Marshall, and a up and coming receiver in Eddie Royal too, whereas the Browns do not have any caliber of receiver compared to those two right now, but that will change in time.

Remember McDaniels was calling about Quinn when he was trying to trade Cutler in the offseason, so that should tell us all that Quinn can be good in the NFL, but only in a system that is similar to the Broncos passing game.

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/288194-...ing-the-broncos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting read.

Brady Quinn still has a slim (not great) chance to get his extra money. The Browns' offense has managed to muster up only 463 plays during the first half of the season. That is a very low amount. Of those, Brady has 141 of them. If he can guide this team to 611 offensive snaps in the second half, he will still get to his 70%. Like I said...slim chance...but not likely. But hey...I hope he's able to do it. If he can, then this team will be fun to watch this second half!

That averages close to 80 snaps per game for the rest of the season! How many QBs gets close to 80 snaps a game? ZERO!

No chance for a bonus BQ, sell the house and rent a condo or something for the time being.

Archived