THE BROWNS BOARD

Veterans/Sports Wednesday Trivia

The Gipper

In honor of Veteran's Day, today's trivia will be Sports/Military Word Association. I will give you two clues, one of which pertains to sports, the other to a military subject. You give the one word/phrase that applies to both. Only exception is the last question, which is straight trivia:

1. Jaws WWII vessel/2006 Super Bowl champ

2. D-Day beach/1944 NCAA hoops champ

3. WWII aircraft carrier/Travers Stakes site

4. WWII aircraft carrier/7 time NCAA hoops champ city

5. WWII's "Grey Ghost/New Orlean's team

6. D-Day beach/College World Series site

7. December 7 casualty/1997 NCAA champ

8. Amphibious vehicle/1939 NCAA champ nickname

9. WWII Tunisian Operation/Rocky occupation

10. Name of very first submarine in US Navy/Allegheny college mascot

11. One of first 8 Americans to die in Revolutionary War(at Lexington Green)/1964 Cleveland Browns Championship team member

12. What is the mascot for the Naval Academy? The Military Academy (Army), the Air Force Academy, and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy?

In honor of Veteran's Day, today's trivia will be Sports/Military Word Association. I will give you two clues, one of which pertains to sports, the other to a military subject. You give the one word/phrase that applies to both. Only exception is the last question, which is straight trivia:

Indianapolis

If Omaha is the answer for #6, must be Utah

Can't be Lexington, that's definitely #4, Saratoga then?

Lexington

You must mean the Hornet. But the Enterprise was actually the Grey Ghost.

Omaha?

Must be basketball champs, didn't Michigan win the football championship that year? So Arizona?

Ducks? DUKW

Boxer

Turtle?

11. One of first 8 Americans to die in Revolutionary War(at Lexington Green)/1964 Cleveland Browns Championship team member

Don't know

12. What is the mascot for the Naval Academy? The Military Academy (Army), the Air Force Academy, and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy?

Naval Academy - Goat

West Point (Army) - Mule

Cool! Since I'm horrible at trivia, this was especially fun because I was able to puzzle out some of the answers. Apparently my WWII knowledge is greater than I knew. Thanks for a fitting nod to Veterans.

LNC got most of these, so I will give the answers:

(USS) Indianapolis

Utah

(USS) Saratoga

USS (Lexington) (home of Kentucky U.)

(USS) Hornet see link: http://usshornet.stores.yahoo.net/13192.html

Omaha

(USS) Arizona

Ducks (DUKW vehicle and Oregon)

(Operation) Pugilist

(USS) Alligator (Civil War) (Allegheny Alligators)

John Brown see this for football player: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo22.htm

See this for the casualty at Lexington:

Eight Massachusetts men were killed and ten were wounded; only one British soldier of the 10th Foot wounded. The eight colonists killed were John Brown, Samuel Hadley, Caleb Harrington, Jonathon Harrington, Robert Munroe, Isaac Muzzey, Asahel Porter, and Jonas Parker. Jonathon Harrington, fatally wounded by a British musket ball, managed to crawl back to his home, and died on his own doorstep. One wounded man, Prince Estabrook, was a black slave who was serving in the militia.[48]

Neither of these are to be confused with John Brown of Abolitionist fame, or the guy with the ten little indians

Navy: Goat

Army: Mule

Air Force: Falcon

Coast Guard: Bear

Good Job by LN, essentially, 8 right, plus 1/2 of the answers on the last question.

Note however, that when you Google "Grey Ghost aircraft carrier, nearly all the references that come up are for The Hornet.

Well, all I know for sure is that when I was in the Navy, they told us the Enterprise was called the Grey Ghost (because the Japanese claimed they'd sunk her so many times and never did). The Lexington was called the Lady Lex or Grey Lady. Now that I go to google, I see we're both right. The History Channel ran BATTLE 360 a while back, a multi chapter story about the Enterprise, and one of the episodes was called Grey Ghost:

Not trying to nit pick you Gipper, just going by what I learned many years ago.

Well, all I know for sure is that when I was in the Navy, they told us the Enterprise was called the Grey Ghost (because the Japanese claimed they'd sunk her so many times and never did). The Lexington was called the Lady Lex or Grey Lady. Now that I go to google, I see you're right....

I agree. I toured the Lexington which now a museum in Corpus Christie. I was thinking it was called the Grey Ghost, but I may have confused it with Gray Lady.

Of course, each ship's crew gives them a nickname. And more than one carrier was claimed by the Japanese to have been sunk when it wasn't. Several crews may have called their ship the Grey Ghost. Always wanted to go see the Lex, never had a chance...

Archived