THE BROWNS BOARD

New York Jets blaming former coach Mangini for bust Gholston

BrownIndian

Rex Ryan predicted big things for Vernon Gholston, vowing to turn the disappointing former No. 1 pick into a productive player. That hasn't happened, and it's fair to wonder if it will ever happen.

Gholston is 24 games into his NFL career, and he has yet to record a sack. How is that possible? His playing time has almost disappeared (only about a dozen defensive snaps in the past two games), and the coaching staff needs to take a hard look this week at whether he should be active Sunday against the Jaguars.

Because Gholston's role on defense is so small, it might not make sense to dress him because it creates a dropoff on special teams. He's not as good as Marques Murrell and Ahmad Carroll, core special teamers who got squeezed in the numbers game and were inactive in the last game. That decision came back to bite the Jets (see Ted Ginn Jr.). Even special teams coach Mike Westhoff seemed puzzled by it. You can bet there will be an extra emphasis on special teams for Sunday.

So it has come to this for Gholston, the sixth pick of the 2008 draft: He's extra baggage. But he continues to play because sitting him would be a self-indictment for a team paying him $21million in guarantees. It's a cover-your-backside move, not uncommon in the NFL.

Here's the troubling part: Gholston's lack of progress isn't surprising to some in the organization. Now we're hearing he wasn't a popular choice to begin with. Opinions in the draft room were mixed on Gholston, but the Jets picked him because then-coach Eric Mangini lobbied hard, according to multiple sources.

"That one's on Eric," one source said.

Now they have a potential bust on their hands. Asked if Mangini was the driving force behind the Gholston choice, GM Mike Tannenbaum said, "On all draft decisions, I have the final say. But, organizationally, we felt good about Vernon. Although his rate of improvement isn't where we want it to be, we're still happy he's here and we feel good about his future."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...l#ixzz0WegPVKS4

Oh..I see, Gholston is on Mangini, but Revis,Washington.Furguson,Harris, and Mangold are not..One source said..Typical NY Rags bulls**t..Does he get any credit for landing Pace or Jenkins?

This crap throwing at EM is so transparent to me it would laughable if so many fans didn't buy into this trash..I wouldn't wipe my a** with an article by Cimini

Oh..I see, Gholston is on Mangini, but Revis,Washington.Furguson,Harris, and Mangold are not..One source said..Typical NY Rags bulls**t..Does he get any credit for landing Pace or Jenkins?

This crap throwing at EM is so transparent to me it would laughable if so many fans didn't buy into this trash..I wouldn't wipe my a** with an article by Cimini

I agree, and why I have such a different (negative) view of the average Browns fan anymore (because 80% will actually buy into this bullshit).

On this side, Mangini is credited for 'mis-handling' Quinn & Anderson even though it's been three years of the 'competition' here.

The more stupid shit I read like this, the more I like Mangini and think of him in the Belichick light ... cause the same shit happened here with Bill.

Blame somebody for a bust?

Sure. There's lots of people to blame. Always.

You can blame Eric Mangini for pulling the trigger on Gholston but he wouldn't have been the only one who would have done it. When they drafted Gholston, there were several things in consideration about the #6 pick.

1) They wanted to trade up to get Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden. There were no takers.

2) They then wanted to trade down and had no takers so they were stuck at six.

The true value in the draft is not at #6 and when it came their turn to select, Gholston was the only player that had that high of a grade. There was a big drop off after Gholston. The Pats were rumored to want him and I have no reason to think that they wouldn't have taken him.

I wish I had this in print but on NFL network right after Gholston was selected everyone kinda sighed and Mike Mayock said

"it's the only choice they have at this point".

Drafting in the top five or six is ALWAYS risky. Compound that with the busts that can happen and then you're picking there again with even less room against your cap.

So what if it's on Mangini? He had the cojones to make a decision at the time. It was risky and everyone knew it. Many other personnel people had him rated that high and the Pats would have taken him at #7. It didn't work out. Move on. Only one player that he drafted in NY is no longer in the league (Schlegel). I think that's a sign of good drafting.

"Scared money never wins." --Jimmy "The Greek"

Mangini is not a great coach by any stretch of the imagination at least not yet...he is mediocre at best perhaps much having to do with daboll and inexperience in rebuilding a team but he should be allowed only a very minor voice in evaluating draft picks..thats if he survives the new GMs prototype for a good HC..ahhh..hmmm...;)

Its funny how rebuilding a team is "a proccess" but prepping and playing a rookie qb isnt...what an asstastic human being...

Yea he gave them a receiver tht cant catch by the name of braylon edwards. And gave them the draft pick to select Sanchez, Its all Mangini's fault

The funny thing though is that I heard a report that Edwards has only dropped 1 single pass since he came to the Jets. With the Browns, that would have been his output just on the first drive of the first game.

Yea, I think it is fair to say that no "commentators" believed that going for Gholston that high was a reach. A lot of second guessing there when a guy busts like that.

But....what the hell, that just puts the Jets like 2 behind the Browns when it comes to First round draft pick defensive linemen busts. Can anyone say Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, and, possibly Kameron Wimbley?

I ain't shedding no freekin' tears for the Jets.

The funny thing though is that I heard a report that Edwards has only dropped 1 single pass since he came to the Jets. With the Browns, that would have been his output just on the first drive of the first game.

he dropped 2 or 3 in one game the turned into interceptions. Its probably Mangini's fault he didnt catch the ball in Cleveland to aint it?

1st round picks

D'brickashaw Ferguson (OT)- Allowed only 4 sacks last season

Nick Mangold ©- Pro Bowler

Darrelle Revis (CB)- One of the NFL's top cornerbacks

Vernon Gholston (LB)- So far is a complete bust

Dustin Keller (TE)- 48 rec 535 yds 3 tds in his rookie year

2nd round picks

Kellen Clemens (QB)- QB has never been given a chance

David Harris (LB)- In his rookie year he had 127 tackles and 5 sacks. Got hurt his second year played in 11 games, this year he already has 57 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

3rd round picks

Anthony Schlegel (LB)- No longer in the NFL

Eric Smith (S)- A solid backup with 119 career tackles in 45 games

4th round picks

Brad Smith (WR)-QB drafted to play WR has 57 rec 491 yds and 2 tds in 4 seasons.

Leon Washington (RB)- 3,234 all purpose yds and 19 tds in 3 and nearly a half seasons

Dwight Lowery (CB)- 64 tackles 5 ff and 1 int in his rookie season

5th round picks

Jason Pociask (TE)- Released after rookie year

Erik Ainge (QB)- Still on team as a backup

6th round picks

Drew Coleman (DB)- 27 tackles 1 sack in rookie season, played in 18 games next 2 seasons and so far this year has 7 tackles and 1 PD

Jacob Bender (OT)- Now on Giants practice squad

Marcus Henry (WR)- On Jets practice squad

7th round picks

Titus Adams (DT)- Was put on the practice squad after being drafted

Chansi Stuckey (WR)- 32 rec 359 yds and 3 tds in rookie season, now drops passes for us

Nate Garner (OT)- Now on Dolphins practice squad

From: http://www.brownsnation.net/2009/10/19/eri...-history/page1/

"That one's on Eric," one source said.

Now they have a potential bust on their hands. Asked if Mangini was the driving force behind the Gholston choice, GM Mike Tannenbaum said, "On all draft decisions, I have the final say. But, organizationally, we felt good about Vernon. Although his rate of improvement isn't where we want it to be, we're still happy he's here and we feel good about his future."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...l#ixzz0WegPVKS4

I think the 9-11 attack was because of Mangini.

Here you have a source say "it's on his hands"...yet the GM says what he says.

Archived