THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamal Lewis says team is too exhausted from Mangini's practices to be effective

WilsonTheVolleyball

BEREA -- Browns running back Jamal Lewis said today the Browns work too hard during the week to be efficient on game days. They're 1-7 and he's tired of it.

He said the team works every day for 2 1/2 to three hours and has practiced in pads through a half-season more than he did with the Baltimore Ravens in three seasons.

"Hey, you want a W on Sunday when you work like that," he said.

"There's talent all over this room, young and old," Lewis continued. "At the same time, that talent's got to be able to be ready for Sunday and to be fresh for Sunday and be ready to go out and be efficient on Sunday.

"You can work hard as you want. You can work all day, seven days a week all the way up to Sunday in practice. But at the same time, if you're going to work like that, then maybe on Sunday you're probably not going to get what you want out of your players."

Lewis also said he doesn't fit in the Browns' offense because it's a "pass-type offense."

The comments stemmed from another conversation about Lewis' decision to retire after this season, which he first made out of frustration following the Browns' last game in Chicago before their bye week.

Prior to the open locker room period, coach Eric Mangini talked about adjusting his approach to the team as a season drones on. Lewis was asked if Mangini needs to adjust it more.

"Next question," he said.

Asked why he wouldn't speak directly to Mangini about working players too hard, Lewis said, "This is his show. It's not mine. It's not anybody else's show. We're just a crop. You've got to take care of your crop. If you don't take care of your crop, when it comes time to harvest, you're not going to make no money because the crop ain't no good. You know about farming?"

An inquiry has been made for a reaction to Lewis' comments from Mangini.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...nning_back.html

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me a effing break, you have to practice for 2 1/2 hours a day and wear pads. Oh you poor baby, how can he do that to you. He doesnt make you practice in pads for no reason, he does it because he wants you to be physical and learn how to tackle. Maybe if you did that once in a while your b$%&h ass wouldn't have to go back to highschool fundamentals.

Show me something on the field before you bitch cause you have to wear pads. You think Mangini is the only coach in the NFL to make his players were pads, guess again.

Read this... This is more damning of Mangini from Lewis...

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/11...t-eric-mangini/

BEREA — Browns running back Jamal Lewis sounded off this morning. His primary target: coach Eric Mangini.

Lewis is frustrated by the losing, the long practices under Mangini and the way he’s being used in the offense. With eight games to go until retirement, Lewis isn’t going out without a fight.

“I’m tired of it,” he said. “I’m tired of dealing with the politics, I’m tired of dealing with the whole organizational thing, just how things go. It’s just tiresome. When you don’t have to deal with it, why deal with it.”

Lewis, a 10-year veteran, said the daily practices run 2½-3 hours and he’s never spent so much time in pads. He said the results are evident on game day, when the Browns are 1-7.

“The talent got to be able to be ready for Sunday and to be fresh for Sunday and be ready to go out and be efficient on Sunday,” he said before practice.

Lewis was voted one of two offensive captains by his teammates. Mangini has repeatedly referred to his open-door policy, but Lewis said he hasn’t approached the coach about changing his style.

“Hey, this is his show, it’s not mine,” Lewis said. “Not anybody else around here’s show. We’re just the crop.

“You’ve got to take care of your crop. If you don’t take care of your crop, when it comes time to harvest, you’re not going to make no money because the crop ain’t no good. That’s that.”

The Browns play the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night. Lewis spent the first seven years of his career with the Ravens.

E-mail this story

[ Close ]

Friend's Name:

Friend's Email:

Just one e-mail address; thanks.

Add Your Personal Message:

Check out this page at NorthCoastNOW.com.

Give me a effing break, you have to practice for 2 1/2 hours a day and wear pads. Oh you poor baby, how can he do that to you. He doesnt make you practice in pads for no reason, he does it because he wants you to be physical and learn how to tackle. Maybe if you did that once in a while your b$%&h ass wouldn't have to go back to highschool fundamentals.

Show me something on the field before you bitch cause you have to wear pads. You think Mangini is the only coach in the NFL to make his players were pads, guess again.

i think a 10 year veteran with a super bowl would know more about how much and how well to practice than the fans here. I have never heard anyone complaining about Jamal Lewis work ethics.

i think a 10 year veteran with a super bowl would know more about how much and how well to practice than the fans here. I have never heard anyone complaining about Jamal Lewis work ethics.

Sounds like an old man that cant go through the grind of the NFL anymore. Maybe he should of retired last year. The Ravens offense wasnt exactly steller when he was there, maybe they did need to practice more. I can see giving a older player like Jamal more rest, but you dont go through the media and complain to get it. Lewis said Mangini has a open door policy, but he chose not to go that route. Honestly do you really think 2 1/2 hrs a day with pads is really to much to ask. This seems like Jamal's looking for a way out to me.

I agree with you a lot Mills, but i do think there is a point of diminishing returns by practicing too much.

You want players peaking on Sunday....not worn out.

I equate it to a horse. The trainer works them hard, but as the race nears he backs off so the horse is fresh and ready to go.

Look man, people are putting in 50-60 hour work weeks and working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet and this dude practices-Weds-Thurs-Fri and a walk thru on Sat AND makes millions (thats roughly 10 hours a week and he's complaining...I don't think the working stiff can relate to the incredible hardships that Jamal lewis faces.

You are an idiot. Do you have any idea how grueling it is to be on a football field and practice for 2 and a half hours for just ONE day? Its not like their playing hopscotch out there. They're running around constantly, or on the bike, in the sun, or doing all kinds of physical training drills. You'd be complaining after the first half hour. Bodies take time to heal. They need time off to repair muscle breakdown, restore glycogen levels (what the body uses to store energy), and reduce fatigue. These processes don't happen instantly. Putting anyone through a 2 and a half hour practice every day is tough, even for people who have great endurance and well trained bodies.

Why don't you go out there for a 2 and a half hour practice on an NFL team and come back before you start whining about how our players are weak and out of shape pussies.

I guess two things, mainly, worry me about this situation:

1. Lewis is known for his intense off-season workouts. The guy is no wimp. Perhaps there is something off about Mangini's routine.

2. More worrisome is that a veteran presence like Lewis might really create a rift in the locker room. The last thing we need is a divided locker room, some following Mangini, others giving up on the system.

I really hope this gets resolved, and no better way for that to happen than through some wins and some better communication between the coaches and players.

Look man, people are putting in 50-60 hour work weeks and working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet and this dude practices-Weds-Thurs-Fri and a walk thru on Sat AND makes millions (thats roughly 10 hours a week and he's complaining...I don't think the working stiff can relate to the incredible hardships that Jamal lewis faces.

In a way, you are right even though i don't think you know that....you're right, the average Joe can't relate, so they come out and say they need to practice more and they need to quit complaining because they make 5 million bucks.

I agree with you a lot Mills, but i do think there is a point of diminishing returns by practicing too much.

You want players peaking on Sunday....not worn out.

I equate it to a horse. The trainer works them hard, but as the race nears he backs off so the horse is fresh and ready to go.

I agree but if you give the rest and the results are the same then whats the point. I remember reading about he's going to have them practice in pads all week because of the poor tackling. So there was a time when they didnt were pads, that obviously wasnt working. And anyway its only like 2 days wearing pads the others are walkthrews.

I agree but if you give the rest and the results are the same then whats the point. I remember reading about he's going to have them practice in pads all week because of the poor tackling. So there was a time when they didnt were pads, that obviously wasnt working. And anyway its only like 2 days wearing pads the others are walkthrews.

I don't have the answer or claim less practice would change anything other than we would have fresher players. I don't know if fatigue is a problem at this point or not....

You are an idiot. Do you have any idea how grueling it is to be on a football field and practice for 2 and a half hours for just ONE day? Its not like their playing hopscotch out there. They're running around constantly, or on the bike, in the sun, or doing all kinds of physical training drills. You'd be complaining after the first half hour. Bodies take time to heal. They need time off to repair muscle breakdown, restore glycogen levels (what the body uses to store energy), and reduce fatigue. These processes don't happen instantly. Putting anyone through a 2 and a half hour practice every day is tough, even for people who have great endurance and well trained bodies.

Why don't you go out there for a 2 and a half hour practice on an NFL team and come back before you start whining about how our players are weak and out of shape pussies.

Trust me here moron I forgot more about football then you'll ever know..There not freakin running all the time and there not in pads all the tme usually, just uppers or shells..Sounds like Jamal wants to go to a winning team before he's done and if he squaks long enough it will happen I guess..Don't tell me what a football practice is like.

Your an Idiot, I've been through 6 hour two a days wearing pads in 100 degree heat. There not out there going 100 miles an hour, there installing plays, learning what there going to do against the next opponet. And when the are running plays its not full go and they sub players in and out so he's not even on the field the whole time.

Jamal Lewis has been with the team much longer than Mangini and in all his years no one has any complains and he has never questioned the team or the coach.

All of a sudden we have this ? I dont think It is just the practice that is bugging Jamal. There is more to this story.

You guys can all clamor over mangini but I will support Jamal, I dont think after so many years i would question his statement.

You know what makes me sick?

What makes me sick is each and every year I've sat here and waded through the losing while hearing bitching and moaning about practicing too much, too little, too soft, and too hard. We've heard excuses about practicing with pads, and without pads. Injuries caused from practicing too hard in pads, and injuries caused on game day from too soft of practices without pads.

Obviously practicing too long of days causes 'dancing' when handed a ball and told to plow forward, we now at least know this.

Why is Jamal wasting time with the media? If you want to get to the top of things around here, everyone knows you go through Dawgpound Mike.

List of things we will boycott over:

1.) We should be able to call ref a name like, 'doofus'.

2.) We should be able to wear large costumes and stand.

3.) We should be able to request songs on the PA system.

4.) Don't practice so long, geez.

5.) Can we get the dogs that catch frisbee's that the Cavs use during halftime?

Archived