THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamal Lewis says team is too exhausted from Mangini's practices to be effective

WilsonTheVolleyball

Haven't they had only three days of practice in pads over the last eleven days? So that's 6-9 hours of practice in the last 264 hours. Wow, they must be beat!

They are a 1-7 team that can't tackle and the answer is to ease up on practice? Maybe AI can be the team spokesman?

They are trying to break 5-6 rookies into the regular rotation and are switching QBs and the answer is LESS practice? They practice less than a high school team already, for God's sake.

But they played so well last year under Club Romeo.

Give me a break. You've got a frustrated guy who knows he's reaching the end of his NFL rope and the media is trying to pry any comment they can out of him to get back at a coach who makes their job difficult.

Ravens effin smavens. Even when that team won it consistently fielded a sub-par offense with Jamal Lewis . . . and they decreed him done over three seasons ago.

Does anyone really think that camp should be structured to appease THIS TEAM's veterans?

I wonder if the Patriots hold hands, sing `Kumbaya'" and call it a day? Here's a clue. Who recently is quoted as saying "tough practices make tough players"? Quick? That's Josh Daniels of the 6-2 Denver Broncos. It's a hallmark of the Belichick coaching tree from Belichick . . . Haley, Weiss, you name it.

Belichick answering the same criticism in 2002:

Q: Teams like San Francisco and New Orleans go with the shells in the beginning, you are notorious for having a tough practice regimen, do players comment on that?

BB: We do it both ways, sometimes we go out in shells, and sometimes we go out in pads. Maybe we’re in pads more than other teams, I’m not saying that, I can tell you, relative to a lot of other years I’ve been in the league, we’re in pads a lot less than we used to be, but whether that’s right or wrong I don’t know. How players look at that, I can’t, all players like to go out without pads on, all players like to play well and win on Sunday, when you need to work on the running game, it’s harder to work on the running game, I think, without pads just because of the techniques that are used. It’s easy to work on the passing game without pads, but I think it’s harder to work on the running game, so it just depends on what you want to try to get done. If you feel like you need to get done some things that involve some contact, then you put the pads on and do it.

Q: When it comes to things like that, are you receptive to the input, like maybe from the veterans?

BB: Yeah, we talk about it. Again, I don’t really think that it’s, in my opinion, I don’t really think it’s been overboard one way or another. Sometimes we do it, sometimes we don’t, it depends on what we feel like the needs are. Sure, we talk about that. The last thing I want is players going out there on Sunday that are hurt, or banged up, or that aren’t ready to play for any reason, but especially if they left it on the practice field. On the other hand, the last thing I want on Sunday is to take a team out there that’s not prepared to do the thing that it need s to do to win the game on Sunday. That’s where the balance is.

Q: Is there anything that you do to these guys on the first day that makes them retire?

BB: I don’t know. We have a lot guys that come in here and don’t retire, we could certainly do a long feature on those, but we have had some that did. After practice when I walked off the field, I was talking to a couple of people coming off the field and we kind of remarked that Dean got lit up a little bit, and it looks like he hasn’t played in a little while, and that’s not uncommon. Look, it’s the middle of the season, you get a guy in that hasn’t played, he hasn’t been playing, he can run around the track and do all the push-ups he wants, but it’s not the same thing. Maybe, again, as you get older, as you get further away from the game, then you try to come back into it on a basis like that, whether it be a Cris Carter or whether it be a Dean Wells. There are guys every year that go through it, sometimes there’s more left, and sometimes there isn’t.

Q: Would you say you’re demanding of your guys?

BB: No, you can take plenty of other players, maybe they don’t retire, maybe they get injured, maybe something else happens to them, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. Whether it’s on the practice field, on the game field, or maybe it’s just going through the whole process again sometimes that players realize that, ‘hey, for whatever reason I’m just not ready to go through this again.’

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lewis said the length and intensity of Mangini's practices are not the issue, it's that the first-year coach's approach isn't producing wins.

"If I'm going to come out here and work the way I work, then I want results," Lewis said. "Right now, that's not what's going on. I feel like it's just a waste of time for me."

So because there not winning with all the hard work thats being put in, it means that you shouldnt work hard? What kinda logic is that.

Its not really about working to hard for lewis its the fact that there working hard and there not winning. So if he's not winning whats the point of working hard. Im really dissapointed in lewis for being a leader on this team and having that attitude.

If thats how he runs his business he'll be like kosar in a few years, divorced, bankrupt broke and begging the browns for a job

So because there not winning with all the hard work thats being put in, it means that you shouldnt work hard? What kinda logic is that.

Its not really about working to hard for lewis its the fact that there working hard and there not winning. So if he's not winning whats the point of working hard. Im really dissapointed in lewis for being a leader on this team and having that attitude.

If thats how he runs his business he'll be like kosar in a few years, divorced, bankrupt broke and begging the browns for a job

I agree. Shouldn't you even be wanting to even work harder to start winning?

Why is Jamal wasting time with the media? If you want to get to the top of things around here, everyone knows you go through Dawgpound Mike.

List of things we will boycott over:

1.) We should be able to call ref a name like, 'doofus'.

2.) We should be able to wear large costumes and stand.

3.) We should be able to request songs on the PA system.

4.) Don't practice so long, geez.

5.) Can we get the dogs that catch frisbee's that the Cavs use during halftime?

LOL...I think Mike is now wishing he never started this.

I am serious, if I owned the club I would raise pound seat tickets 30% and say "Thank Mike, he made it clear we need to do much more and spend much more".

Watch that guy never show up again.

I always liked Jamal, but piling on to the media frenzy by calling out the coach right now is ridiculous.

This is not what this team needs right now. They need to be concentrating on the Ravens.

Hopefully he is cut by tomorrow morning. Whether you like Mangini or not -you can't have the players criticizing the coach in the media. We went 1-7 in the first half with Lewis so I think we'll survive without him the rest of this season.

My bet is that there was some thing that happened between Lewis and Mangini ... something that we dont know and hence these outbursts.

Belichick answering the same criticism in 2002:

Belichick may have run individual practices even tougher than those employed by Mangini.

Two differences:

1. Belichick earned the players respect and trust that the hard practices were necessary to win. (Winning or at least not losing by 21 points, tends to reinforce that for players) and

2. Belichick knows when to back off, and like Parcells, knows that some players need to be kicked in the ass and some need to be gone a bit easier on

Belichick usually also rewards some veteran leadership and hard work that players engage in on their own, i.e. giving a select number of veterans a free pass by keeping them off the active roster or even off the team, working out on their own until he needs them.

Part of that is the respect that he's built up with guys like Junior Seau wanting to play for him and only for him.

With the news that more players in the locker room sharing Lewis' sentiment, it seems clear that Mangnini lacks the ability to know when to push the pedal and when to back off.

In effect he's got this team playing like it's 1999.

I always liked Jamal, but piling on to the media frenzy by calling out the coach right now is ridiculous.

This is not what this team needs right now. They need to be concentrating on the Ravens.

Hopefully he is cut by tomorrow morning. Whether you like Mangini or not -you can't have the players criticizing the coach in the media. We went 1-7 in the first half with Lewis so I think we'll survive without him the rest of this season.

Very solid point. But I doubt you will see Lewis kicked to the curb because of the whole fear of Free Agents being turned off in coming here.

Can we just quit? Seriously, why don't they just let the Browns sit out this second half of the season?

To those of you who called Jamal a complainer, old or whimpy on the whole workout thing... seems to me I've seen a few articles on Jamal and his workouts and how other players join him and are amazed at how hard the guy works in the offseason.

If he truly is the workhorse some portray him to be, and he's saying the workouts Mangini is requiring during the season are over the top... then maybe he's got a point.

I'd love to hear his thoughts on a comment he made a couple weeks back about the Browns' organization in general and how it wasn't run in an efficient business fashion. I gotta admit, I've never really followed him, is he a bright guy or a whiner? If he's a hard working thoughtful player, that puts some credibility into some of the things he's saying.

Whether he has a point or not, coming off of the bye is not the time to say that you've been working too hard. He went easier on them earlier in the season and the results were much the same. I wouldn't really question Jamal Lewis who seems like a good veteran presence but it seems to me more that losing has worn thin moreso than anything else. If the Browns were 4-4, I doubt he comes out like this.

Personally, I think it's a bush league move to call out your coach in the media and then decide that you're going to admit that you haven't taken him up on his open door policy.

This sort of stuff happens on all losing teams but piling on to your coach who's been a weekly punching bag is hardly a pro's move. Whether Lewis takes issue with Mangini or not....a veteran player should know better and should be enough of a man to complain face-to-face.

While I like Jamal Lewis' work ethic, I would point out to him that he's part of the chemistry that went 4-12 last year and is 1-7 this year. This is his report card too.

What a lot of you seem to forget is this is a complete break them down and build them up year. He is breaking them down now. Tough practices, tough discipline. He got rid of people who considered themselves super stars. Give the guy a chance. We are not going to win a Super Bowl this year. These players are used to RAC's Dunkin Donuts practices. It's going to cause resentment. We will see who wants to play and who wants to go. He is instilling his style, which is what he was hired for.

What a lot of you seem to forget is this is a complete break them down and build them up year. He is breaking them down now. Tough practices, tough discipline. He got rid of people who considered themselves super stars. Give the guy a chance. We are not going to win a Super Bowl this year. These players are used to RAC's Dunkin Donuts practices. It's going to cause resentment. We will see who wants to play and who wants to go. He is instilling his style, which is what he was hired for.

This isn't whether or not the fans are going to give him a chance. Everyone with a rebuilding project says "Oh, we know we're going to lose games" but when you're on the road to a bottom tier record, everyone is still complaining. That's just the way it is. I certainly would be in favor of not blowing it all up again but I'm not the owner.

the one thing that sticks out is that he is a captain, but instead of taking it to Mangini takes it to the media?

What happened to trying to deal with problems in house, up throught he chain of command before going outside.

Regardless of his offseason regimen, he's washed up and whiney. I'd bench him for the season, especially against his old team the Ravens.

He doesn't want to be here, anyhow.

Here's my problem with this;

Mangini has meetings once a week with the captains..Did JL bring it up?

If he brought it up and Mangini explained his reasoning of why he does what he does.(coaches decision)

What is the point JL trying to make by going to the press?

What is he trying to accomplish

Is this helping the team prepare for Monday night

What are Jamal's true motives here?

To those of you who called Jamal a complainer, old or whimpy on the whole workout thing... seems to me I've seen a few articles on Jamal and his workouts and how other players join him and are amazed at how hard the guy works in the offseason.

If he truly is the workhorse some portray him to be, and he's saying the workouts Mangini is requiring during the season are over the top... then maybe he's got a point.

I'd love to hear his thoughts on a comment he made a couple weeks back about the Browns' organization in general and how it wasn't run in an efficient business fashion. I gotta admit, I've never really followed him, is he a bright guy or a whiner? If he's a hard working thoughtful player, that puts some credibility into some of the things he's saying.

Quite an intelligent post, and just to add, he has not said any such thing about any of the previous coaches he worked with. What surprised me is the sudden Larry Johnsonish talk from one of the most veteran and respected leaders in the Browns roster - There is a huge rift between him and Mangini.

One positive i hope to see from this is more playing time for Chris Jennings.

I've said this before, it happened in NY. They were winning and he still put him though hell. As for J Lew, he has an argument if they were winning.

Negative. J Lewis, still has an argument buddy.

There is a difference between working hard and working smart. You can work hard all you want but it need not necessarily translate into success cos the opposition has u figured out and know how to stop you. Or you can work smart by designing intelligent plays (dont ask DA to throw the ball on a 4th and 1 OC) and practice on that.

I will attribute the the way we lose more to the horrid play calling and decision making more than on the talent or the hard work of the roster.

Negative. J Lewis, still has an argument buddy.

There is a difference between working hard and working smart. You can work hard all you want but it need not necessarily translate into success cos the opposition has u figured out and know how to stop you. Or you can work smart by designing intelligent plays (dont ask DA to throw the ball on a 4th and 1 OC) and practice on that.

I will attribute the the way we lose more to the horrid play calling and decision making more than on the talent or the hard work of the roster.

Ok say your right, that is more affirmation that the team is quitting on Mangini.

the one thing that sticks out is that he is a captain, but instead of taking it to Mangini takes it to the media?

What happened to trying to deal with problems in house, up throught he chain of command before going outside.

Regardless of his offseason regimen, he's washed up and whiney. I'd bench him for the season, especially against his old team the Ravens.

He doesn't want to be here, anyhow.

True. He is showing a definite LACK of leadership and professionalism by not acting like a captain.

Ok say your right, that is more affirmation that the team is quitting on Mangini.

Mangini would have surely helped his cause had he gotten himself a new OC. I dont understand the faith that Mangini has got in Daboll after witnessing such putrid offense. And being part of that offense does not help any of the team members. Anyways, Lets hope for the best.

Mangini would have surely helped his cause had he gotten himself a new OC. I dont understand the faith that Mangini has got in Daboll after witnessing such putrid offense. And being part of that offense does not help any of the team members. Anyways, Lets hope for the best.

Where are you going to find one in October?

Mike Martz is still available to interview, i remember 2 OCs that were fired before the season began .... point is Daboll is terrible.

You aren't going to implement Mike Martz's offensive system now....much less anyone else's. Mike Martz's system doesn't work if you don't have the talent. Look at his results with QBs not named "Warner" and without HOF caliber talent. Did he make the 49ers into winners?

You aren't going to implement Mike Martz's offensive system now....much less anyone else's. Mike Martz's system doesn't work if you don't have the talent. Look at his results with QBs not named "Warner" and without HOF caliber talent. Did he make the 49ers into winners?

His time with the 49ers and the Lions had them playing decent offensive football. Sure they lost but it was not bad losses. Sure, im not saying that changing the OC now is going to help us win, but the playcalling has been so horrible that it will not make a difference. Atleast next year, we can hope for an improvement ...

Archived