THE BROWNS BOARD

Leadership

Earl34

I was watching some of the 49ers-Bears game last night and listened to some comments this morning and I really got to applying it to the Browns. Who are the leaders in this locker room and on the field? Most teams that weather losing successfully (or winning for that matter) have strong leadership. Love them or hate them, the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Colts have had vocal, professional leaders on both sides of the ball.

Jay Cutler has been questioned not in his talent but in his leadership and to me, he's looking more like Jeff George every week.

Who fills that sorely needed role here? Being a "captain" and being a "leader" are not necessarily one in the same. The latter just guarantees you get to call the coin toss.

I can't help but look at a guy like Joe Thomas. I don't know Joe Thomas. I know he's a great player. I also know, however, that he's a guy who went fishing during the draft, goes hunting (not a group activity) and seems kind of like a quiet guy overall.

(Insert QB here) isn't much of a leader because (he has the lowest QB rating ever and no confidence/got punched in the face by his own teammate).

Whither Jamal?

On defense, who's your leader? Big Baby? When he decides to show Pro Bowl form or when he ratchets it down a notch? Wimbley?

Who are the guys on this team that when you're close at halftime with the Vikes or are in overtime with the Bengals is going to go into that huddle and be the guy who lifts everyone onto his back emotionally and says "we're takin' these suckers down!"?

I think the answer is that it's lacking. I don't live in Cleveland so if I am wrong, I want someone to correct me...but I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm not. You have to go forward in the second half of the season and look at how these guys respond (Mangini's future aside) and who is tough and a pro. How many of these guys are quoted with sentences starting with "I" or ending in "me"? Who's accountable?

I think you won't find much difference from last year and that's what bothers me.

I have said this for quite some time now. Mangini killed any team chemistry that was there. You don't have a solid leader. You have potential leaders but Mangini does not seem to know how to get players to stand out or how to pull a team together as a unit. Because of the way he tore the browns apart, I don't see Mangini being successful in Cleveland.

I have said this for quite some time now. Mangini killed any team chemistry that was there. You don't have a solid leader. You have potential leaders but Mangini does not seem to know how to get players to stand out or how to pull a team together as a unit. Because of the way he tore the browns apart, I don't see Mangini being successful in Cleveland.

What does Mangini have to do with the huddle? Leadership opportunities abound here and it's up to the players to seize it. Mangini wasn't here last year and there weren't any credible leaders then either.

The team chemistry here sucked so I don't have a problem with ripping it up. Mangini was brought here to do that.

You have no clue. Stick to waving a yellow fag towel, asshat.

You have no clue. Stick to waving a yellow fag towel, asshat.

No, some of you seem to not understand what team chemistry is. It's not surprising because it has been so long since you guys have seen it you don't even recognize it or the loss of it. Mangini tore the chemistry that this team had built up in the past few years. Now he wants to start from scratch but forgot that trading away some of the best talent, creating a QB controversy, continuing to play the worst QB in football, and appearing to be totally inept, is not how you build a winning team. I don't see Mangini having any chance to be successful as a coach because he came across as an arrogant Ahole who let his ego get in the way...and then his plan failed. Mangini is now a lame duck.

Team leadership is as much about bringing player fielded ideas and viewpoints for play improvement to team meetings...im sure they fall on deaf ears and it frustrates the teamleaders...the players have a general idea of how to win some games but management isnt listening..

Team leadership is as much about bringing player fielded ideas and viewpoints for play improvement to team meetings...im sure they fall on deaf ears and it frustrates the teamleaders...the players have a general idea of how to win some games but management isnt listening..

How is it you're sure? Are you in the locker room? OH WAIT, you're the team audiologist! :rolleyes:

Players have a "general" idea how to win games? Who's won more games over the last three years? Eric Mangini or the Cleveland Browns?

Looks like Jamal Lewis might be a dark horse candidate to take over as coach if they for some reason determine that Mangini has lost control of the team and cut him loose (with cause of course, and without his remaining salary, as he's now on the record admitting he doesn't know that Quinn has salary escalators)

Anyone wondering whether running back Jamal Lewis was speaking for his Browns teammates Thursday when he accused coach Eric Mangini of overworking his players need only have witnessed the locker room scene 24 hours later.

While Lewis, surrounded by media, was trying to put to rest his scathing remarks, several teammates chanted, ''JLew! JLew!'' Among the loudest were tight end Robert Royal and fullback Lawrence Vickers, who climbed onto a chair next to Lewis to help lead the cheers.

Judging from the roar, it was clear that Lewis is their hero.

''I got support,'' Lewis said. ''Does this look like a divided locker room to y'all? Huh, does it? No.''

Of course, I'm sure there will be plenty around here convinced this is all going exactly according to Mangini's plan.

Now here's Mangini's idea of "Leadership"

"You go down in the locker room 50 percent of the guys want to do it that way, 50 percent want to do it the other way," Mangini said. "You change it and half the group is happy and half the group is not happy. It's the same thing with itineraries, when you have 53 guys, consensus isn't always easy to come by."

Um, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it the coach's job to create or demand consensus?

Does letting Lewis and others publicly snipe and humiliate him create an enviornment where others sign on to Mangini's approach, when they know there's no consequence of publicly embarassing the coach?

While one might not hold th players harmless, if Mangini isn't going to deal with it, he creates the negative environment and has to take the blame.

Um, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it the coach's job to create or demand consensus?

I don't think it's possible to DEMAND consensus.

Hey, I've seen situations where hating the coach worked to unite the team into a cohesive unit. I haven't given up on Mangini yet.

Does letting Lewis and others publicly snipe and humiliate him create an enviornment where others sign on to Mangini's approach, when they know there's no consequence of publicly embarassing the coach?

While one might not hold th players harmless, if Mangini isn't going to deal with it, he creates the negative environment and has to take the blame.

Joe,

That's definitely Mangini's job. But here's the sh*tty part: Doing that job is exactly why he's getting raped in the media. When guys haven't wanted to see it his way, he's either sat down with them and had a conversation about it, or he's shipped them out or both. Then the media tears him down even though countless stories have been written about how Winslow and Edwards were malcontents BEFORE Mangini came to town.

Second point, how did he "let" Lewis do this? Jamal did this on his own. Jamal knows he has eight games left in his career and can say what he wants. Check back to last year when Jamal wasn't getting his 20 carries. He popped off then, but the media didn't come down on Crennel like they've come down on Mangini.

Third point, Mangini has dealt with it. You and the rest of the guessers out there (including myself) don't know how he dealt with it. I just don't presume things like so many others, media included. Mangini prefers, understandably so, to keep things in house.

Leadership has been a problem of the Browns since their first pick of 1999 of Tim Couch. He failed and i's been some weird game of delayed domino's ever since.

Draft a stud Defensive back and let's set a tone here.

I dont consider Tim Couch a fail for the Browns. I think the org. and Browns fans failed on him. Maybe we were still too use to the Kozar playoff days. IMO Couch was a warrior for us. He took a beating with an expansion team and just kept coming. Cleveland fans booing him when he was down was a shamefull moment for the city. For crying out load, he led us to the playoffs and the org. benches him for the softest QB in history in Kelly Holcomb. What a joke.

I hope we don't make the same mistakes with BQ. Lets give him a chance to play without having to look over his shoulder and see what we have. We just might have a leader.

I don't think it's possible to DEMAND consensus.

"Consensus" is one of the most overused and least understood concept in terms of many business, team - maybe these are the same - and other areas.

I try not to waste my time fostering consensus. It is a time consuming and, virtually impossible, place to settle. Oftentimes cultivating consensus results in slow decision-making and closing the door after the horse has left the barn.

And, yes, Kathy is right about the inability to demand consensus.

"Commitment" is something all together different and, IMHO, that can be achieved in a relatively short period of time. Everybody does not have to agree 100% on 100% of the details, but the details should be 'good enough' so that all can sign their name and work to make it happen.

It IS possible to demand commitment. Commitment to the project, commitment to the play scheme, etc.

I hate to get dogmatic about things like this but consensus and commitment are quite different animals. (Kathy, I am not saying that you did, this is just one of my pet peeves - I know, I need to get a life.

"Consensus" is one of the most overused and least understood concept in terms of many business, team - maybe these are the same - and other areas.

I try not to waste my time fostering consensus. It is a time consuming and, virtually impossible, place to settle. Oftentimes cultivating consensus results in slow decision-making and closing the door after the horse has left the barn.

And, yes, Kathy is right about the inability to demand consensus.

"Commitment" is something all together different and, IMHO, that can be achieved in a relatively short period of time. Everybody does not have to agree 100% on 100% of the details, but the details should be 'good enough' so that all can sign their name and work to make it happen.

It IS possible to demand commitment. Commitment to the project, commitment to the play scheme, etc.

I hate to get dogmatic about things like this but consensus and commitment are quite different animals. (Kathy, I am not saying that you did, this is just one of my pet peeves - I know, I need to get a life.

I'm just glad to know that someone knew what I meant. :)

I agree with your thoughts on commitment as well.

You are overrated as a High School Baller.

Stan, how about Preschool Bawler for this guy?

Hey Chico, Just my opinion. Ive most likely been a Browns fan longer than you. I'll let you know when my "classification" as a poster on a web site means something to me since you are that interested.

Tim Couch > any browns QB since.

Who did Mangini let go that was a leader of this team? Do you think there might be a reason that 20 of those players aren't even in football?

Archived