THE BROWNS BOARD

Building a Winning Team

Earl34

I think that with all the bashing of the Browns' coach (as opposed to the other coaches of awful teams) I think it would be good to get back to analyzing the actual guys on the field. Coaching and management aside, there have to be parts on the field that work. I am not trying to be exact in the order but I think that a successful, championship-contending team should have:

1) Quarterback. You could argue LT, but we seem to have one of those and you need someone to run the offense. Sorry Quinn fans; perhaps I'll be proven wrong but Quinn is struggling to show he's simply adequate to this point in his career.

2) Left Tackle. Protects #1. Check.

3) Edge Pass Rusher. If Wimbley can finish with 10+ sacks, I'd say we have this but it goes without saying that a front seven with one star player is too easy to game plan against. He needs a counterpart that's reasonably good on the other side to keep offenses honest.

4) Shut down CB. Revis made the Jets immensely better. The list of shutdown corners is not too long but aside from Nnamdi, you don't see many on losing teams. This defense would be so much better if you had one guy that could at least hang with a #1 WR.

5) MLB (4-3)/NT (3-4). I think that Shaun Rogers is one of the best but he's showing us what he showed Detroit. He can really play when he wants to and dominate but is he able to dominate start-to-finish? I'm a big believer in being able to shore up the middle of the defense first so this doesn't get us off the hook with respect to ILBs and SFs but Rogers can command multiple blockers so it's a start.

I, for one, am kind of excited to see that Maiava and Veikune are supposedly going to man the ILB spots Monday. I don't take joy in Barton getting hurt but we need to see what these guys can do.

That's the start. Discuss...

Wow..all wee need are 18 more checkmarks.... That's better than I thought.. I feel so much better now... NOT

Archived